Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dizadncr_gw

shelf liners on refurbished cabinets/drawers

dizadncr
9 years ago

Hi - I'm getting new doors and refacing my existing cabinets and drawers. I'm not sure what to do to refurbish the shelves and drawer bottoms. Does anyone have experience with shelf/drawer liners that look good? I'm looking for ideas on what to do. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I just responded to another query here, and will share the same info with you.

Search on GW for "Cushy Cupboards" shelf liner and you will find a lot of info.
    I have used it on the bottoms of both new and old drawers and cabinets and I certainly love it. If I were refurbing, I would probably paint the sides and put CC on the bottoms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for Cushy Cupboards

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you Bellsmom! I just sent myself the link!

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great - Thanks Bellsmom! I'll definitely check it out.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

There's not much info about it on that site. What color is it, what's it made of and how thick (cushy) is it?

OK, took time out to look it up... . "It's not rubber...." but what is it? Sounds like a great product. Bellsmom, is it only available in white?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cushy Cupboards

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

As far as I know it only comes in white. Wipes or washes beautifully with a damp cloth.

I'd say it is 1/16th to 1/8th inch thick. Definitely NOT as thin as other shelf liners. Both sides are smooth, not ridged, so very easy to clean.

How cushy? You can indent it with a fingernail, but it springs back to flat. I have noticed if a heavy pan sits for a long time upside down (all the weight on the thin top rim) the indent stays for quite a while after the pan is removed. Not sure if it every recovers completely, but this doesn't effect its efficiency.

Probably made of some kind of thin dense plastic foam with an impervious outer "skin".

By the way, I order the 24" wide, cut it to fit with a metal yardstick and a razor blade. Much more economical this way than ordering the 12".

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 15:29

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bellsmom - would you post a picture of it in your cupboards or drawers? I'd like to see it in use.

Thanks, Di

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Di
    I didn't see your request before. Here are 2 pics.
    First a close up of a large casserole.

Second, a few 7" shelves holding staples and cans

Hope this helps.

• dizadncr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh great - I just brought a couple different liners home from our Fred Meyer store yesterday to check out in my kitchen so it's great to see this for comparison! I'm staining the drawer fronts and cabinet doors today - so it's time to make a decision!

Thank you.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Bellsmom, is cushy cupboards "sticky" (meaning hard to slide things in and out)?

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

One complaint that I've read about the Cushy liner is that cupboard items won't slide on it, like when you want to slide glasses or cups to make room for others.

I've used pre-pasted vinyl/ vinyl coated wallpaper for lining furniture, cabinet backs & drawer bottoms. It works great, is long lasting and easy to clean (look for wallpaper with a minimum of surface texture.) Ustacould find it at rummage/ garage sales for really cheap but not so much anymore since wallpaper has fallen out of decorating favor.