Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hpete_gw

new build and new to forum...please help!

hpete
9 years ago

Hi! We have started framing our new house and I need to work on finalizing the kitchen plans this next week. I have enjoyed lurking in this forum for ideas...but when it comes to making my own nitty gritty decisions I am having trouble. Here is a picture of our kitchen layout:

And here is a mock-up picture from our kitchen cabinet guy:

We have decided on using Aspect shaker cabinets, in SW Dover white (I think). I plan to do a walnut butcher block island, plus either soapstone, or a dark laminate countertops on the perimeter (still deciding on this). Right now we are looking at LG appliances. We did add a transom about the kitchen window to make that look a little better... we have 9 foot ceilings.

Here are my questions...
- I thought I was fine having the microwave as the vent fan above the range, but as I walked in our framed up first floor yesterday, you can clearly see it when you walk in the front door. I am not sure that I want to lose any cabinet space for a microwave drawer...but where else can I put it? I do have a large pantry, but we use the microwave enough that I don't want to tuck it away in there.

I like the look of cabinets that go to the ceiling, but I am worried about them being so overpowering. Do you think I should do all glass uppers? The cabinets to the left and right of the window are different widths...will that look funny?

I would love any help/inspiration you can give! Thanks!

Comment (1)