Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Big Uh Oh...

Posted by dcward89 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 11:15

So we had our first big uh oh of our kitchen remodel yesterday. My brother-in-law (who is a contractor and plumber by trade) has been helping us with this huge DIY project. He was over yesterday and I get this text from him:

"I screwed up your end panel on the fridge. Not at all kidding. I will see what I can do about fixing it. If I cannot I will get you a new panel."

Well, my heart stood still for a moment. I calmly texted back and asked what happened. He responded that he was installing the small piece of trim that goes above the fridge to make it look more built in and like an idiot (his words, not mine) he used the wrong size screws and after screwing in 3 of them, he realized they were going completely through the end panel. Again, my heart stood still for a moment.

I said do what you can and we'll talk when I get home. When I got home it wasn't near as bad as I expected it. He had filled in the holes with wood filler. It wasn't exactly the right color but he was still working on it and was mixing two different colors of filler together to customize the color some more. He promised that if I was not happy with the repair he would purchase a new panel so I went to bed praying that he could fix it satisfactorily because taking it out and replacing it would not be a simple fix. He continued working on it. I'm not even sure how long he worked on it last night.

Well, I got us this morning and...

photo 20140617_063020_zpsvdfwvfco.jpg

instead of stopping, my heart sung!!! I didn't even see it on first glance. Of course I know it's there and I can pick it out but it's an excellent repair and no need to replace the panel. I'm sure his heart sung too when I texted him that this morning!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Big Uh Oh...

I can't see a thing. Hugs to your BIL!

I hope that's your last oops - or any others can be as beautifully resolved.

o

Same thing happened to us (no BIL involved though) with same result. I suppose if I were more nit-picky, I could have asked for a new panel, but I'm not, so I didn't, and it looks fine. Yours looks beautiful - tell your BIL for us that he did a wonderful job!

o

Oh, how fantastic. And you handled it so well. Being a relative, so many people feel it's Ok to let loose on them when something goes wrong. I'm sure he appreciated the opportunity to make it right. Imagine his heart stopping!

I was given siding for my house. It came from demo jobs at Andrews Air Force Base. I didn't have quite enough to do one last side. The fellow doing it picked some up he felt was a good match. I had no options, so I said, "Cool."

The next morning I went out to see how it had gone while I was at work the night before. I ended up weeding for about an hour. When I got back in the house, I realized I'd forgotten to look at the siding. Then I realized if it hadn't been a good match, I wouldn't have spent an hour blissfully [snort] weeding. I'd have had a heart sinking moment. :)

So great when things turn out so well. And, BTW. That panel is really beautiful! Is it cherry? The only wood I can sometimes identify is oak.

o

It may need a little touch-up as your natural cherry darkens, but you stop noticing the little flaws eventually anyway.

o

Yes, CEFreeman, it is cherry.

He was so relieved when I didn't freak out! That's just not my way. In my 46 years of life I have learned maybe just a few things and one of those things is that freaking out rarely gives you the results you are looking for!!

o

I didn't notice the screw holes at all, what I did notice was the panel is installed upside down....cathedrals should be pointing up

o

Wow, what a great job! I sure can't see that anything happened. I can imagine how relieved you feel.

I noticed your kitchen awhile back, I must say that it is looking great. I can't wait to see more photos of those beautiful cherry cabinets. Do you have any of your drawer fronts on yet?

And, as your progress continues, are you still happy that you went RTA?

Thanks so much for any more info or pictures. (:

o

I didn't know they were called cathedrals but I chose the orientation of the panel. It just looked prettier to me this way than the other way.

o

athomesewing...I have lots of pics...here's a few that include some of the drawer fronts...
 photo 20140612_145550_zpsjvvmkp6z.jpg
 photo 20140612_113215_zpsicssvuat.jpg
 photo 20140612_113137_zps65jp3zqs.jpg
and yes, we are so pleased we went with Barker. They are excellent quality, super easy to put together and, as far as I am concerned, about as beautiful as they come!!!

o

Why "should" the points be pointing up? They should be pointing the way the OP wanted them, and she (and I) like them pointing down.

o

Of course you can point them anyway you want, industry standards call out that the cathedrals (base of the tree) is at the bottom of the panel pointing up

o

"Why "should" the points be pointing up? They should be pointing the way the OP wanted them, and she (and I) like them pointing down."

I agree. I don't see why the directions of the points would make a bit of difference either way.

o

Wow! Your cabinets look fantastic! Thank you so much for posting more photos, and your comments on Barkers. We are about to order cabinets and I've been feeling apprehensive. If my cabinets look as gorgeous as your I will be thrilled!

o

I noticed on my own cherry cabinets that the grain on my upper doors all pointed up. It reminded me of a flame and I liked it, but I never was asked or knew there was a proper way. However, they weren't consistent as they installed the doors on my peninsula pointing down. It's just another thing you don't notice after awhile.

o

Lol, may_flowers! One of the perils of GW ... you can be blissfully unaware that anything is amiss in your kitchen until it's pointed out on GW that you've done something wrong! That has happened to me more times than I care to remember.

o

athomesewing...it took me about 25 different measuring sessions to be totally comfortable with placing the order and I remember that moment when I hit the "ORDER" button on the website and the sheer panic I had that I messed something up!!! It all worked out though...everything fit perfectly, mostly thanks to my DH who is an engineer and is WAY more confident in his measuring skills than I am!!!

I'm sure your cabinets are going to be beautiful! What are your finishes going to be? Are you doing RTA?

o

Sounds like what I’ve been doing: measure, measure, measure -- worry, worry, worry! LOL, my hubby’s an engineer too -- he doesn’t worry about it at all...

Would it be possible to discuss an RTA concern I have, off the Thread by email? Clicking on my screen name above should provide a "Send me an email" link.

Thanks,
Connie

o

athomesewing...just sent you an email.

o

Thanks! Reply sent...

o

The fact you got this far until your First Big Uh Oh is a credit to good planning and good workers. You are fortunate indeed.

o

I'm not seeing anything, which I suppose is good news! LOL You're kitchen is really coming along. It looks great so far!

o

I keep going back and looking and do not see anything wrong. Beautiful kitchen so far!

o

dcward89:

No way would I have mentioned that to you. I would have fixed it and shut up. People who don't know where to look never find repairs. Sometimes it's better not to know. I'd rather ask for forgiveness than acceptance.

o

I have to ask why the need to ask questions re: Barker off the boards? There are more than a few people here that
1) could answer them and
2) could use the information.

Must be newbies. :)

o

Beautiful cherry cabinets! I'd have gone with cherry if DH didn't have a boatload of white oak. So...so... pretty. Yay for the invisible repair, too!

o

As a lifelong woodworker, I too noticed the cathedrals were pointing down. But you know what, who cares?
Your cabinets are beautiful, and the repair is excellent! Embrace the workmanship of your BIL, and happy cooking!

o

I am curious if that end panel was edgbanded on two long edges, or banded one long but both sides of the panel finished?

o

ajc71...to fulfill your curiosity, it is edgebanded on both long edges. Both sides of the panel are finished but one side is obviously much nicer looking and seemed obviously intended to be facing out. What we interpreted as the inside of the refrigerator panels both had much more color variation but not in a nice way.

Here is a pic of when they first installed it. You can see the wide color variation on the inside of the panel. Sorry for the gratuitous BIL butt pic!!

photo 20140517_094208_zpsbsuijlf9.jpg

This post was edited by dcward89 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 13:01

o

The reason I asked was to see if Barker labels the panels top/face/front....by banding both long edges and using a "B" back it seems as if they do not "hand" the panels so that they can be used as either a left or right panel.

I have never used Barker before, and was curious if they assigned each piece where it was to go and how it was to go...

o

We ordered 2 panels for the fridge enclosure, exactly the same size and they were not marked "Right Side/Left Side, etc. Now that you mention that, everything else was marked as Top, Bottom, Left, Right for the cabinet boxes and indicated which cabinet # it was for but I guess that matters because of which side I wanted the hinges. Every single piece of the cabinet boxes was labeled but those panels were not.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 13:18

o

If you look at that last pic, you can still see some of the labels in place on the drawer bank next to the panel. One thing that made me extremely happy was that those stickers peeled off super easy and left not a touch of residue behind...it's the little things when you're in the heat of remodeling that make me happy!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here