Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found my backsplash!

Posted by marykh (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 11:12

I'm deep in love. These Mexican tiles match the caesarstone "buttermilk" on the adjacent island perfectly. (Cabinets are dark brown horizontal grain in our modern rustic build). Now can I stop dreaming about kitchen finishes, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found my backsplash!

that's really good looking!

o

That's beautiful! Are the stars inset? Just thinking about dust, grease etc. I think they would be worth it though :)

o

Lovely! Can't wait to see it installed.

o

They are beautiful, but not fun to keep clean.

o

Yes, the stars are inset. The backslash is for a stretch of counter that will be used primarily for making coffee, tea, secondary sink for washing veggies, etc.- so mess there will be minimal and I can get away with a high relief backsplash.

It's a very open kitchen layout with two 9ft islands that run perpendicular to a wall (with the above bs) that's anchored at one end by ovens and the other end by fridge, with counter in the middle. Cooktop, main sink, primary prep and baking areas are on the islands.

o

very neat.
But how will you keep life's gunk out of the recessed areas?

o

Yep, it will mean some maintenance, that's what old toothbrushes are for.

I'm not in love with cleaning, so I'm careful about what I'm willing to do for beauty. (and aside from the more modern vibe, that's why I went with slab doors, I dislike cleaning the life gunk from the inset on inset doors.)

The thick smooth glaze will help, but this will be the one non-low maintenance thing.

o

That is really cool tile! Like you said, so long it's not in a area where it will collect grease, it should be fine. A soft bristled brush and some soapy water and it's good as new :)

o

that's really pretty! I think the texture is fantastic. And it's nice to see something a little different from what everyone's doing - enjoy!

o

sounds so great; please please post pictures when you ar done!

o

1 -- I adore them, please tell me where you found them! They're fantastic!

2 -- Make sure you have a very experienced tile guy if there any cuts/corners involved. I had a bathroom with a tile that was very dimensional, and I ended up directing the guy on cuts and lining everything up. He hadn't work with that kind of tile before, and really struggled in wrapping it in the corners.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

o

myfoursons, they're at Statements Tile in Seattle.

Good advice, too, thank you!

o

Ooh la la! So pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here