Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marykh_gw

Found my backsplash!

marykh
9 years ago

I'm deep in love. These Mexican tiles match the caesarstone "buttermilk" on the adjacent island perfectly. (Cabinets are dark brown horizontal grain in our modern rustic build). Now can I stop dreaming about kitchen finishes, please?

Comments (13)

• kaylarus
    9 years ago

that's really good looking!

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

That's beautiful! Are the stars inset? Just thinking about dust, grease etc. I think they would be worth it though :)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Lovely! Can't wait to see it installed.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

They are beautiful, but not fun to keep clean.

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the stars are inset. The backslash is for a stretch of counter that will be used primarily for making coffee, tea, secondary sink for washing veggies, etc.- so mess there will be minimal and I can get away with a high relief backsplash.

It's a very open kitchen layout with two 9ft islands that run perpendicular to a wall (with the above bs) that's anchored at one end by ovens and the other end by fridge, with counter in the middle. Cooktop, main sink, primary prep and baking areas are on the islands.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

very neat.
    But how will you keep life's gunk out of the recessed areas?

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, it will mean some maintenance, that's what old toothbrushes are for.

I'm not in love with cleaning, so I'm careful about what I'm willing to do for beauty. (and aside from the more modern vibe, that's why I went with slab doors, I dislike cleaning the life gunk from the inset on inset doors.)

The thick smooth glaze will help, but this will be the one non-low maintenance thing.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That is really cool tile! Like you said, so long it's not in a area where it will collect grease, it should be fine. A soft bristled brush and some soapy water and it's good as new :)

• lala girl
    9 years ago

that's really pretty! I think the texture is fantastic. And it's nice to see something a little different from what everyone's doing - enjoy!

• isabel98
    9 years ago

sounds so great; please please post pictures when you ar done!

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

1 -- I adore them, please tell me where you found them! They're fantastic!

2 -- Make sure you have a very experienced tile guy if there any cuts/corners involved. I had a bathroom with a tile that was very dimensional, and I ended up directing the guy on cuts and lining everything up. He hadn't work with that kind of tile before, and really struggled in wrapping it in the corners.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

• marykh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

myfoursons, they're at Statements Tile in Seattle.

Good advice, too, thank you!

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Ooh la la! So pretty!