Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please critique light layout

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 11:02

Hello again,

It is time to tell the guys exactly where to place the 6" recessed LED cans. I went to a lighting store, and the planner there suggested the layout seen below (NOTE where I have comments on the actual dimensions, the drawing doesn't reflect the actual ones but I can't fix it. for example, the pantry between the wall and frig will be 21" not 23").

The black dots represent the light locations.

The placement of the lights for the frig wall are dictated by the fact that the French door frig will extend out 10" past the pantry, and the lighting designer said that the light should be placed at the point where the open frig door will end, so that the frig will not be casting a shadow onto the pantry. That seems good to me.

However, the GC is recommending that the light closest to the stove be centered in the space rather than continuing in line with the 2 over the edge of the sink counter run. Either would look fine visually to me, I think, but which would be better for lighting? He has also suggested that I might want to put a fixture rather than the recessed LED "to be sure to light up that whole space".

I will have a small fixture over the sink.

What do you think? Which would be best?

Thanks, Raee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please critique light layout

I will try again -- bump

o

Still hoping for an answer

o

I am not a lighting expert. But I can share what is working in my kitchen. I centered the lights on the edge of the countertops so that my head wouldn't cast a shadow in front of me. I also tried to center the light in front of the cabinets because that would work best for lighting up the inside of the cabinet when opened. (A joist got in the way on one cabinet.)

On your layout I find the locations around the fridge to be odd. I would light the pantry (unless it is a pullout because then it is okay) by scooting the can to the left and centering it and light the counter on the other side by centering it on the edge of the countertop. It also looks like you will have a dark spot to the right of the range. I would add a can there centered on the edge of the countertop. Also the cabinet to the left of the range does not have good lighting. You may want to move the can to where the corners of the countertop meet.

The lighting forum would also be a good place to post your plan.

o

Thanks Corgimum,

We've run into another complication to this, finding that the heating ducts run in the areas where I wanted to place the lights either side of the frig.

So I am trying to convince the guys that putting a box and using the LED retrofit disc lights (from Sylvania or Cree) will work. Will see if I can scoot the lights over as you suggested with this.

o

We had to put a different light in one spot where there was a heating duct, too. It worked out just fine. This is what we used:

Here is a link that might be useful: Glimpse

o

Thanks! Glad to see this comes in 3000k, since the Cree at HD are 2700 and a bit too yellow for my taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here