Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallysue_2010

Tarting Up Your Kitchen

sallysue_2010
12 years ago

What is the coolest, cheapest thing you have found in your kitchen remodel? My pick is the cheap bamboo drawer organizers from Lowe's (Amazon has them as well). What's yours?

Comments (22)

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I have the most perfect kitchen where all hues are soft and all sights are sound. i left a colored elastic band on the countertop overnight. In the morning it was still there to greet me with its surprising splash of color.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

My pick is the cheap bamboo drawer organizers from Lowe's (Amazon has them as well).

Got a link? My husband said he'd make some with the Lee Valley things, but hasn't gotten there yet!

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I like my counter stools from overstock. They look like the Tolix stools, but only cost $80 for the pair. Also, they are comfortable (I'm sitting on one now) and substantial.

• natal
    12 years ago

Those bamboo organizers are everywhere ... TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc. I love 'em too!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Bamboo organizers from Bed, Bed and beyond in four of my drawers. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and so you can put them together like a jig-saw puzzle for all different sizes of drawers.
    I have a copper tile backsplash and was able to find a large hammered copper bowl that I use for fruit. They work really well together.
    However I'm still looking for something to give a splash of colour. (I never thought of an elastic band).

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

I'd have to say my home decorators aluminum counter stools. At the time they were $99 each and bought them as temporary seating until I found some I really loved. Well it's been 4 years and they are still here and in perfect condition. I can't seem to find a suitable replacement that my kids won't destroy! Plus they can, and have been used outdoors as well. I ended up getting a bunch for my downstairs island/craft table as well. BTW, it's designer version costs $1100 each!

• sallysue_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

davidro1 - so you literally tarted up your kitchen with a garter, eh? Very avant garde!

marcydc - natal is right - they are everywhere - google and you will find all sorts! Measure drawers carefully before you order - mine are a little shallow and not all of them fit...but they are cute and cheap and well-made and feel so much richer than plastic!

• sallysue_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Another cheap cool thing - I bought manzanita branches from Blooms and Branches to put on top of my boring, low (all-the-same height) cabinets. I kept them natural - they give height and interest without looking busy (to me) and are very cheap!

• plllog
    12 years ago

Brass spring style doorstops. Doorstops are very out of style, but they make such a difference!

Also the OXO clear acrylic interlocking drawer organizers. ;)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Target tension rods plus a fabric find from a thrift sale--handkerchief linen sort of. The whole set of 5 temporary curtains (now a year old) cost me less than $20 and we've become fond of them. I fear I will live with them another summer before our blinds get installed so it's a good thing that I like them. Privacy at night, sun control for people at peninsula at a certain time of day, and a way to ignore the street when I need to hide.

• sayde
    12 years ago

There is one large empty wall in my kitchen. Now filled by 12 framed prints -- they look like antique prints of butterflies but they are calender pages from the 2011 Cavallini calendar. They are very nicely printed; the colors are subtle and work together and in my room and the antique feeling of the prints is just what I wanted. They even provide a suggestion for how to arrange the 12 so it was a complete no-brainer. Measured them all and had mats, acrylic panes and backer boards made by American Frame. Found framing stock at a framing store that was going out of business and DH made that into the 12 frames, then I antiqued them with black. The entire project cost less than $400. The 2012 calendar will be issued in July -- thinking of buying that as well for the back hall.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

While my kitchen was in progress I found an 18" tall cast iron cobbler's shoe thingie (not sure what it's actually called)...a shoe sole shape on a pole, used to hold shoes while repairing or soling them. It was $8 at an antique shop somewhere in Pennsylvania. For some reason, it just tickles me and it sits on a counter in my kitchen as an "objet d'art". I've since found a shorter one that is my version of the towel pig...use it to throw the damp towels over.

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Love this thread (Sayde, those butterflies sound amazing! I love repetition like that) I tend to lean pretty simple (a somewhat conflicted minimalist) - my tarting up was choosing Karbon facuets in our very traditional kitchen. They are not common where I live and always get a reaction (I think because they don't really fit in). Love a sexy facuet! :-)

• lala girl
    12 years ago

oops - just realized you said "cheapest" - the faucets were not that cheap, although I did snake them for 50% of retail... sorry for my irrelevant post!

• adel97
    12 years ago

cheapest: my $10 skillet towers for my below-cooktop drawers!

coolest: I "heart" my shiny polished aluminum stool

http://i51.tinypic.com/2823vog.jpg

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

My aged yellow ceramic open salt cellar with lion heads, 10 bucks on eBay. I love salt cellars by the range.

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

Well, I'm not there yet -- about 3/4 of the way through renovation, but my "cheap tart" plan is to get a piece of copper pipe & install it with drapery rod brackets over the kitchen window over the sink. From that copper pipe, I will use hooks to hang my lovely copper pans & bowls (only a few) for interest. A long time ago, I had a pot rack that hung over the window -- but I can't find one now.

I also have my eye on those bamboo drawer organizers --either from Lowe's or BBB. I"m also looking at an ORB paper towel holder I saw at Target, and the matching tiered holder (for fruit, etc.).

I would love to find one of those shoe cobbler thingies for towels. I was actually looking at HD & Lowe's for towel hooks to install over the sink. Came up empty -- didn't find anything I felt carried out the HW theme in my new kitchen. The shoe mold would be perfect. And what a price!

• sallysue_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought of another one - my 19.99 JC Penney stainless paper towel holder - you can rip off towels with one hand, no lie. It really works and looks darn good.

Also just installed my $10 Never MT soap dispenser invention, first read about on this forum. I cursed the darkness under the sink one too many times filling my new Moen soap pump - then sent for the Never MT and my life is already changed for the better. Not like a cure for cancer or anything, but a small delight.

Here is a link that might be useful: jcp stainless paper towel holder

• melissastar
    12 years ago

Redhead: I've actually found several of those shoe things on etsy and ebay as well. They haven't been $8, but I have found them for between $20 and $30. I figure if there are a bunch of them on ebay, though...odds are another cheaper one could be found at a roadside antique place, as well.

I must say, I'm a bit surprised that anyone else would like them...my son thinks I'm just downright weird with the things I buy and use!

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip, melissastar!

Sounds like we have similar taste......

A similar example: I use an antique black country store tin to hold paper napkins. It belonged to my great aunt -- previously held baking soda in a shop. I'm guessing it's turn of the century (1900 or so, maybe older), probably not worth a whole lot, but I like it. Then again, I just tried a google search for a picture of one to show you (mine is packed away during renovation), but I couldnt' find anything at all like it, so maybe it's actually rare! I think it would hold at least 5 lb.

It holds two packs of paper napkins perfectly stacked inside, and has a little flip out at the top to access them. Many years ago, I noticed the black paint was flaking off, so I brushed on some polyurethane I was using for another project. It has stayed perfect since then, 'tho maybe the guys on Antiques Roadshow wouldn't approve -- LOL!

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

I have an old beat up copper pot of sorts (or perhaps it's a mug for Hagrid the giant) with a bent handle that I plan to stick in my kitchen, when it's finished. I found it in an antique store many years ago for about ten dollars I think. It's too short to store wooden spoons or spatulas, and it's rather useless, but I like it anyway.

• willtv
    12 years ago

For me it's our cabinet knobs. They came from D. Lawless hardware and cost $1.86 each.

Here's a shot.