Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mags438_gw

Help me not be part of the ABB club!

Mags438
9 years ago

Hi all, thinking about my next phase. Backsplash. We're kinda boring ppl and I just envisioned a subway tile backsplash over counters with stainless steel stove backsplash. Due to some necessary modifications to this point in remodel, its not going to happen as envisioned.

One of the changes I had to make was to get rid of 4.75" window moldings around sink window, in lieu of more cabinetry space. Thought I would do mini-brick so tile could run up the casement window sides, but now I don't think I want to do that. There's such a small sliver of wall next to upper cabs by window. I like the larger subways with this kitchen (I think). Thinking about just putting tile just in backsplash area on sink and stove wall. Since I ran into some issues with ss stove backsplash, I was thinking to just tile behind stove (has a pot filler above it). Will sink area look wierd?

Now what do I do with the other wall? This wall houses a washer/dryer so the base cabs are higher and for some functionality, the backspace area is about 19.5 or 19.75". Should I tile this backsplash area also? From a main entry, you can take in the sink wall and the laundry wall in one glance.

Thanks...I suffer from analysis paralysis!

Comments (15)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Could you post pictures of your sink wall and the "other" wall with your washer/dryer? Maybe a shot from a distance that shows more of the room?

BTW, I love your cabinets.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I did mean to post a photo from an entry. Still lots in progress and lots to still do; some things just caught up to me before I was ready, so some things didn't get replaced as anticipated. Wall color may change too depending on how countertop install goes later today; not keen on countertop color but reserving judgment at this point. A herringbone subway tile was in the plans for backsplash.

Yes, and thank you, I *love* the cabs too; they did a fantastic job considering I dropped a previous cab maker (after demo started) and went back to them. By that point (as you can imagine), I don't think I was a great customer however, I've gotten nothing less than excellent service and a fair price. Although everyone involved was beyond annoyed with my late change (DH included), it was the right move and what a blessing.

• localeater
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is coming along great, it looks really lovely. I am unfortunately still a little confused by the floorplan and the pictures. What is going in the opening in the first posted picture? Where is the laundry going? Where is the sink going?
    From your description there should be a sink wall, a stove wall and a laundry wall. Perhaps post a straight on picture of each. Once we see the way they flow together, we can probably give better input about how and where to put the backsplash.
    Regarding the little bit of wall between window and uppers you may still want to 'frame' the window with tile. This will depend on the overall space. You might use bullnose subway or a liner tile. You can do this without going into the casement. Based on your flute and rosette door trim and lovely 6 panel doors, a completely naked, trimless window may not be compatible. Again, I recommend pictures of the whole space- each wall straight on if possible.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I just want to say that in that last photo your paint color is gorgeous! What is it? I love gray, but not so much on walls. But that is a gray I could put on a wall, esp. with that stained door. Love, love, love your cabinets.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Localeater, thanks and sorry. I've lived this kitchen for too long. Ok, the plywood in first photo is opening for a casement window. It will be a counter height window, so I decided to have window final measurements and order after countertop install.

The second photo from left to right around room and how you can see disparity in backsplash heights. On left of photo is laundry appliances in the base cab, then moving towards the right of photo, after the doors, is the sink wall. I prolly should have taken and included a close up of sink wall upper cab and the really little sliver of wall on each side of sink upper wall. I'm a bit concerned that leaving that sliver of wall painted (vs tiled) and to tile up around casement window may look wierd. I'll have to get a close up of that one. Maybe I should just leave the sides around window painted. Oh, I don't know.

You're prolly also correct localeater on it looking different from other window/door trim. I've had to make a lot of tough decisions on this project. There is no storage in this entire house and one of the main reasons for the reno.

Yay! My soapstone just arrived!

The gray paint is bm harbor gray. The room gets *very* little sunlight. I'd been through so many grays and at the time, with new lighting (3000k, I think), harbor gray seemed like a good fit.

• localeater
    9 years ago

Mags! I get it. Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.
    You TOTALLY can treat the walls separately as long as you have a plan.
    I see the teeny sliver of wall, facing front, next to the cabinets around the window. That is not a space for tile IMHO. Will the casement come down to the counter? Is it a one pane or two? Now, I am greedy for details- LOL.
    Yes you can only tile behind the stove and it can look FABULOUS. See Badgergal's kitchen(linked below). You could do that and the laundry wall too, I think that would be lovely. (Thought the straight on shot of stove wall is still missing!) Depending on the tile selected I might run across the sink wall too, but just 3 inches or so for continuity.
    Dont let the ABB get you down, take your time. I had no backsplash for well over a year. I zigged left, I zagged right, and then kismet, I found my dream splash and I LOVE it. And,(sheepishly) it was not what I was looking for, it kind of found me.......
    You can do this!!

Here is a link that might be useful: badgergal's beautiful kitchen

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Gorgeous, love your colors. Will gladly help with photoshopping after your countertops are in. Give me a shout!

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right, badgergirl's kitchen is fabulous! I must have seen pieces of it as a result of posts. Seeing it all as one really speaks volumes. So nice.

I'm planning on getting the infinity casement window. I don't remember at this moment if I did any add-ins. There's still time to change the options, since they are coming out to measure tomorrow. I'm kinda flying solo at this stage, the analysis paralysis, you know how it goes..

Localeater, your key phrase - 'have a plan' is what I don't have! Lol. I don't want to be part of the ABB too long and hope I won't have to wait forever for my tiler. Everyone good seems busy already this year.

Thank you Oldbat2be, I'd love it. I'm definitely a visual person. Let me try and get some photos together this wkend. I don't have a hood yet, and that will prolly play a huge role.

My soapstone countertop install went well today. Boy, things look a bit different when horizontal! But I am thrilled with the results, exceeds my expectations (my prayers were for a quality install). The soapstone has a lot of movement (much more than I thought when looking at slab) so i hope it will help the room from going too bland. Installers applied mineral oil to island before I got to them. What I noticed was most of the stone movement is on the perimeter counters. I selected the island piece/area since the big vein attracted me to the slab. Oops! I'll have to see tomorrow when most of the island's mineral oil should have evaporated. The other counters are not oiled yet. I'm really liking them unoiled.

Well at least I have another piece of the puzzle in place. I may have to re-think the gray wall though. With countertops in place, the gray now shows it's hint of brown.

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen.

I saw a backsplash a couple days ago on HGTV that made me think, "That would look GREAT with soapstone."

It was a mosaic that mimicked the "powdery" look of soapstone, with a subtle tone on tone geometric that makes it special.

Just looked through 8 pages of Houzz photos but couldn't find it. Then saw a couple links that were close below via google.

I think this community does a great job at picking out the best options from a list of 5 or so that you upload pictures of.

i.e., Give us the "GardenWeb" version of what the Zillow Diggs app feature "Dueling Digs" does, where you keeping picking the best of 2 options. (it's an iPhone / iPad / Android app)

=== Links

https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-mosaic-tile-prvw-vr~7704866-Cloud-IS1-Unique-Shapes-White-Backsplash-Polished-Glass-and-Stone--tile-

something like this but not this color
    https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-mosaic-tile-prvw-vr~7701808-Onyx---Thassos-White--Flower-Cream-Beige-Kitchen-Polished-Stone--tile-

or like this but the color matches soapstone
    https://www.houzz.com/products/12x12-carrara-white-target-pinwheel-windmill-spiral-mosaic-black-dots-honed-prvw-vr~9844284-Marble-Pinwheel-Mosaic-Tile-Black-Dots-Honed-traditional-floor-tiles-

https://www.houzz.com/products/12x12-thassos-white-marble-polished-basketweave-mosaic-prvw-vr~8635417-White-Marble-Polished-Basketweave-Mosaic-modern-tile-

almost found it!
    http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/30-splashy-kitchen-backsplashes/pictures/page-12.html

only the center was not a wood color, it was white

that one would be perfect with wood stained cabinets and
    soapstone

Love the shimmer in this one
    http://www.hgtv.com/kitchens/30-splashy-kitchen-backsplashes/pictures/page-12.html

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Pretty kitchen. Shout out to Harbor Gray. My bedroom paint color. I love it in my southern & western exposure room. This is the first time I've seen it mentioned on the forum. Everyone is forever on and on about other gray colors, but Harbor Gray is fab!
    ; )

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Onedog, yes harbor gray is a sweet color. My kitchen, opposite of yours, doesn't get much natural sunlight.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love your kitchen. Totally agree with Linelle. The Harbor Gray looks great with your stained door, cabinetry & the elegance of your crown molding. The soapstone is gorgeous. Beautiful kitchen! Looking forward to more pics.

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The stained doors - I don't know what I'm going to do with them. The larger one leads out to a small rear yard and will get changed out since I want something with a window (not that there's a view). Both doors are original to the house (1906, 08?). I wasn't going to paint the small door, then after re-install, thought a painted color would look nicer since the stain colors are really different. But I haven't been able to bring myself to paint it. Every door in our house is still stained and many of the public rooms' trim are still stained. (We only painted what was previously painted). So I'm at an impasse there. The door is only about 24" wide, so I'm not sure if the width is accentuated with the trim painted with a stained door. (Here's where design and color sense comes in; I wasn't blessed with even an iota of either!). I'm not a purist for this house, so I don't have a problem painting the door. Maybe it's just white is too stark, I thought of a gloss black for the smaller door as well (black matte hood). I never talked with KD about it. WWYD?

The trim - it's original to the house and I didn't want to change it out. That's a regret now. It didn't look so bad in the old kitchen but gosh it looks nasty up close in new kitchen. Guess another future project when I have *nothing* else to do.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I like the stained small door & the style of the trim around both doorways, but, of course, I can't see it in real life. Instead of replacing the trim, can you sand it down & repaint it?
    Now that your countertops are in, what are you thinking of for a backsplash?

• Mags438
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still leaning towards subway tile; something that will be part of 'foundation' I think. Not sure I want the bs to pop with color, since we're pretty boring ppl. A herringbone layout to be a little different. I'm kinda flying solo at this stage for finishing the kitchen as design didn't drill down to this detail level. Kitchen still evolving to what it wants to be in terms of style. Right now, pretty classic loosking but hood will be a black matte metal barrel style which is pretty traditional. I anticipated gray/black soapstone, but wound up with a Ss that shows it's green undertones. Love the stone though and just got tired looking. (Tired of looking = just pick something you like and somebody will make it all work together).

Shouldn't I be repeating some of the already used colors? Should I wait until hood in (1 month) and then decide on bs?

I hope this room doesn't end up like all the others in house...unfinished. I've been taking cues from other house architecture for this kitchen, maybe I need to take another critical look, IDK