Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djhinva

ABB - Almost finished kitchen �' could not wait any longer!

Heritage Chrome
11 years ago

So yes..I've joined the All But the Backsplash club! Still working out the eat-in area. Still searching for a table. May have to wait on the banquette too since we're about tapped out. Maybe I just wont send my daughter to college this fall? Option? Hmmmmm....(Kidding!!).

Um details..

THANK YOU GWer's for your patience, wonderful comments. As well as your kind thoughts and prayers for Maddie (she suffered a stroke we think, at the end of the first week of demo)..she's all good (just a bit of a tilt still, but she's with us, happy and that's all that matters)

Specifics:

Contractor/KD: OHI Design of Manassas VA. (5 weeks complete?!? WOW!)

Cabinets: Norcraft Maple, Antique White paint (their standard), semi-custom. 36" with molding; 2 Super-Susan corners, 36" Pantry has sliders, wall corner "pie". The other base cabs are drawers (thank you GW!) and one narrow base (9" for step stool), Trash pull out. All interiors have after-market bamboo inserts, (still working on that)

Granite: Brushed black pearl, eased 1/4" edge (slab from DalTile in Chantilly, VA, TGM Fabricators Fredericksburg, VA)

Floor: Armstrong Luxury Vinyl 16x16 tiles, Alterna Charcoal, grout color mist

Hardware: Pennington Bar pulls from TopNobs in Brushed Silver Nickel - two sizes

Faucet: Moen 87313SRS Finley High Arc Pull-down spray

DW: Kenmore stainless

Fridge: Samsung, French Door Counter depth Stainless.

Range: Waiting till it dies..old Kenmore, same with the hood and MW

Backsplash (will be): Grazia Essence 5x5" Felce green (Re-Store $20 find a-la CFFreeman!!), 1x2" Black glass subway fringe details, Essenze Magnolia subway. Comp/mock-up in the gallery.

Paint: BM Hancock Green

Trim..bright white gloss, Cabinet trim will match cabinets color, BM Matched

10 can lights, no pendants, under-cabinets are Xenon (I think) all on dimmers; Sink can on it's own switch.

Two specialty USB charging outlets (best buy ever!!)

I think that covers it

The hardwoods in the rest of the house are Shaw Brazilian Cherry.

Link to Picasa album: http://bit.ly/DJHinVAKitchen

Thank you all so much a thousand times. I learned SO MUCH.

DH says never, EVER again... and I feel that I've just gotten my feet wet. On my way to TKO I check here every morning. This next week may get a bit crazy with graduation, party and guests..back splash install etc... but I'll try to answer what I can if there are more questions.

Oh and just on a side note..though I don't like to talk money..in an area that's infamously-outrageous for costs in and outside of the beltway..we believe we've accomplished this for under $40K. Still personally stunned nevertheless (for the amount..since this is a small reno and I never imagined spending that amount on ANYTHING ever!)

That's all! Have a great Sunday.

Comments (25)

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

It all sounds wonderful...but pictures are missing! Can't wait to see!

BTW, price-wise, I know what you're saying, I live in the same area, and we did more construction reno work which cost a small fortune, you are right, it is really expensive in this area to get anything done!

• claybabe
    11 years ago

So wonderful! Soothing and calm. Can't wait to see the backsplash!

Here is a link that might be useful: DJHinVA kitchen

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Clarygrace - I just switched the album to public..sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't think the bitly link would be an issue.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's really pretty! I like the way you rearranged the refrigerator wall to work in a desk on the end. So convenient there I bet.

• sis2two
    11 years ago

You have done an amazing job! What a pretty kitchen!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Join the club - ABBS
    I will have to check out the re-store as leaning toward Grazia Rixi
    Just noticed the link - will check it out!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Very nice! I remember seeing the tile pics earlier, that was pretty quick! The taller cabinets really make a difference.

Now I have to add USB outlet to my list, now that I know they are out there I realize how much I need one!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

great looking new kitchen! glad you recovered those few inches. it's amazing how much difference it can make.

It's also amazing what a 'few' changes can do - move this there, that here... cabs, counter, sink, floor - lol!

It really can make our lives better - in sight and function. Yours looks great and I bet will function so much better for you.

Is the 'grout' for your tiles regular tile grout or different for vinyl tiles? I really don't want grout - but your tiles sure look nice.

• bahacca
    11 years ago

Beautiful! WOuld you please tell me where you got your stools for the counter height bar?

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you guys.
    Williamsem: These outlets are fantastic and honestly, they are worth the minimal extra cost.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/PWR2USB/
    They are a tad deeper than standard, so if you are DIY, you need to pay attention to the box, otherwise, hand 'em off and be done with it!

Oh my gosh..Desertsteph..you've asked the one question I never expected. We bought them at one of those "dinette and billiard" places in a local strip mall. The label on the bottom says "Coaster" of Malaysia. They have a website and the stools are there. I've seen the style elsewhere (Bed, Bath & Beyond I think), but these have a bit more weight to them. We've had them for 4 years now and they've held up beautifully.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Really lovely. Backsplash is great, counter and floor, too. Nice job!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

you mixed me up with bahacca. I had to scroll up to see what in the world i did ask you. hey, don't do that - I can confuse myself w/o help from anyone else - lol!

I asked about the grout for vinyl tiles. I was wondering if that is different than grout used for other tiles. Did you have to get/use special grout for vinyl tiles?

btw, I'm very glad that Maddie is doing ok now.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh so sorry desertsteph...I went off looking for the grout sample card and got totally distracted onto something else..talk about getting confused easily!!!

The grout is Armstrong's own premixed sanded acrylic grout. I didn't question it too closely. It is stain resistant and dries quickly and if you don't use it, you void the warranty on the floors. But it is lovely to the touch (how has it come to this where we wax poetic of the qualities of grout???)

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Looks fantastic! I love the floor tiles (I think my sister has the same thing) and the wall color.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

DJHinVA -
    I too am in Virginia. Due to Friday night's derecho I am going on day 3 without power. The good news is I have a generator to to power my water, fridge and the internet. I have way too much time on my hands have refocused my attention on your kitchen. What is the deal with your floor!!! I just absorbed the fact it is vinyl tile with grout. What's that all about? Please explain how the grout functions. I'm half all for it and half horrified at keeping the troubles of grout while getting the comfort of vinyl.

Here's to hoping you have your power and that my post doesn't fade into oblivion. In the meantime I am heading off into the international net to try and solve this mystery myself.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Very nice! Love the granite. What is it? Also love your floor. You tied in your backsplash really well.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Ignore my question.

Just saw my answer in your specs in your post.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Looking great! Nice going, fellow ABBer.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love the flooring and granite.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all, I didn't realize this post was getting comments sorry to take so long!
    onedogedie - I sincerely hope you have power now??!! We got ours Sunday (UGH 43 hours) and it's such a relief. If not, let me know.I've had some really success tweeting to WTOP and Dominion for a couple of friends also without.

Ok...After a month with this Armstrong "Luxury" Vinyl tile, I still love it. It's hard enough that you never think that it's vinyl. It doesn't have that soft smooth feel to it at all. These are big 16 inch tiles and the grout is sanded grout. We LOVE it and it gets as much "oo-ahhh" response as the brushed Black Pearl granite does from visitors. LOL

My backsplash is in now. The album can be viewed, here's an image (I just realized my photos never showed Oh.My.Gosh. How embarrassing.)

From Kitchen Renovation Before During After

The full album:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/109216653852709251058/KitchenRenovationBeforeDuringAfter?authuser=0amp;feat=directlink

Deborah

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong, Alterna Luxury Vinyl

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Still no power! Tired of the drone of the generator and even getting tired of Gardenweb!

Congratulations on your completed transformation, from generic to modern with a vintage feel. Pretty!

I did research on your floor. It is really grouted. The grout in my bathrooms is enough of a headache, that I would have to pass on adding it to my kitchen floor.(Lest I am being to negative about the grout, my experience is tainted by my mineral & iron rich well water.) I must be seguing into the older generation, what with everyone from my youth dying off (Parents, Maurice Sendak, Andy Griffith!) so that my standards are changing. Where once I would have sneered at vinyl flooring now I would love to have what you have but with the grout vinyl too. The problem is after looking at the sheet vinyl selections with the grout lines is that the real grout lines is what makes it look so good.

USB outlets! Didn't know about them. I've filed that away with the recessed outlets I learned about on Gardenweb.

• Liz
    11 years ago

Looks great!!

• Liz
    11 years ago

Looks great!!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Love the new floor and the cabinets and all the changes. I wish I could get my kitchen to look that nice. Thanks for sharing.

• momx9
    11 years ago

NOVA person here too (we only went 46.5 hrs w/o power, so I feel lucky!)

Love the look of your new kitchen! I'm struggling with what to do with my floor right now, but really like the look of yours. Worried about the upkeep for grout though, like onedogedie said. But it looks great!