Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktj459

SO excited about countertops!

ktj459
9 years ago

I had to share my joy with people that understand! I've been hemming and hawing over types of granite to use because I really wanted soapstone but it was out of budget. We need to template next week, so I was running out of time. We went to a few granite places to tag something this weekend and I still just wasn't feeling it. On a whim we decided to stop by M. Tex again since it is just down the street. I asked to see their remnants and was stunned when they had a piece that was large enough for our kitchen! At 20% off it was in budget! It's barroca xl, which is a softer stone than we originally were considering, but I am sooooo excited to be able to get soapstone that I don't think the slight difference in scratch-ability will bother me. I'm a patina kind of gal! My husband has been laughing at me ever since we tagged it because of how excited it makes me. It just made my whole kitchen vision come together :o)

Comments (25)

• ktj459
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And because I'm not cruel, here are my lovelies.....

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Congratulations!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

That's great! Meant to be. Can't wait to see it in your kitchen. Congrats!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I hope you licked that baby!
    Congrats!!

• amck2
    9 years ago

From one soapstone owner to another - here's a High Five to you!

I believe you are going to love it!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Truly beautiful - I wanted soapstone for my old house, but my DH is definitely NOT a "patina kind of guy". So happy for you - you'll love it every single day (as I did the antiqued granite I got instead).

• romy718
    9 years ago

It is gorgeous. It's a great feeling when you find "the one".

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Congrats from another "soapie" :) looks beautiful!

• wags848
    9 years ago

Congrats! Beautiful stone...and the discount makes it even better. You will love your soapstone!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

"oooooohhhhhhh" she quivered, "OoooOOOoohhhhhh."

LOVE it. Just love it.
    I have to say, I'm glad you didn't settle. I have found it's so worth it to hang tight until I can get what I really want. Sure, I have the luxury of living alone and have no money, so during the time I save, I also have the luxury of changing my mind a million times.

That said, I have never, ever wavered on my desire for soapstone. Back when all the stone people were saying, "Oh, you mean Silestone. It's pronounced S-eye-el stone." Needless to say I've never darkened their stoneyards again.

I want to share my inspiration with you, because everyone here will just get it. (You are so right.) Gotta do it in 2 posts.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention (since I love them) that Granite Grannies in Upper Marlboro is going to be fabricating my counters. I'm also waiting for a price for a soapstone sink. As much as I love my red, Kohler Hawthorne sink, the bowls are just not big enough.

I also laugh at how much I love these two slabs, because I really dislike the specks in granite. There's so much motion in these, it's almost dizzying.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Beautiful slabs, both OP and CEF! I love soapstone almost equally with marble. That would be my dream scenario, marble and soapstone counters and a handcrafted walnut dining table...someday, maybe.

I'm sure you're ecstatic! Can't wait to see installation pix!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

ktj459, that is a beautiful slab and one of the prettiest soapstone counters! I can't wait to see it installed! Thanks for sharing.

• hyjenist
    9 years ago

Huge soapstone fan here! It's beautiful. You won't be disappointed! CEF- so glad I let my DH talk me into the soapstone sink -worth every penny!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I totally get finding, as feisty says, The One! It is immensely gratifying when that final(or any)piece clicks into place. Plus your soapstone is drop-dead gorgeous! I am looking for a remnant or two to go on a cabinet in my dining room and cannot WAIT to hit the stone yards!

• rpets
    9 years ago

Wow, those are both gorgeous slabs!!! Can't wait to see finished products!

So nice to see other "patina" fans! I have had many friends try to talk me out of my honed Carrera island that I'm installing bc of the inevitable etching, staining, etc. When I tell them that I love the look of the worn in marble oyster bars from my childhood (I'm from NOLA) and the old fashioned counters of hotels, they think I'm nuts. For me, beauty need not = perfection

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It's sooo nice. M Teixiera comes thru again! (We got ours from their NJ yard).

CEF- can't wait to see your countertops installed! They're yummy!

• rpets
    9 years ago

Wow, those are both gorgeous slabs!!! Can't wait to see finished products!

So nice to see other "patina" fans! I have had many friends try to talk me out of my honed Carrera island that I'm installing bc of the inevitable etching, staining, etc. When I tell them that I love the look of the worn in marble oyster bars from my childhood (I'm from NOLA) and the old fashioned counters of hotels, they think I'm nuts. For me, beauty need not = perfection

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Don't you just love when you find something you weren't expecting that is just what you were looking for and at a wonderful price just adds to the excitment!!! Can feel you enthusiasm and very happy for you!

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

Congratulations on finding your dream, and on sale yet! And bravo for sticking to your kitchen vision; it's way too common to be talked out of what you want into something that's easier for somebody else.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

"beauty need not = perfection"

Well said!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

but sometimes beauty just makes it perfect. :)

What's "perfect," anyway? right?
    All in the eye....

(I have to throw this in: As long as it's not "good enough for now," anything can be absolutely perfect!)

• ktj459
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I knew you would "get it".

CEF- that first slab is especially gorgeous, do you know what variety it is?

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

ktj459, I'm leaning towards that one, too. By the time I save half, though, it'll be long gone. I'm just hoping it's something found frequently in whatever quarry it came from .
    The abbreviated name on the picture is Marva Soapstone Smoked. I'll email Kimi at GG and see what she says.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

It feels so good when you find "the one". And yes, its tough to express that around people not TKO! Congratulations!