Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmagoo

Cherry cabs&floor-too dark? xpost

msmagoo
10 years ago

After years....we have finally decided to move forward with a major remodel. It has taken ME that long to figure out if I want to spend that much money, DH has been ok with it for some time. Here is my dilemma, I have chosen a mid-priced cherry cab and granite, but have had my heart set on wood floors throughout the living/kitchen area. We are opening up the 2 spaces that are now separated with a wall. I have tile(white) in the kitchen and carpet currently. The KD I am working with said that cherry cabs & cherry flooring would be too much and would really darken the space. I don't have soaring ceilings & our home is a ranch style home. So, I am torn between getting some kinda of light wood, or putting some kind tile down in the kitchen part and wood for the rest.
Any advice/suggestions/pics?
Thanks in advance,

Comments (5)

• User
    10 years ago

Continue the same floor throughout the space and choose a lighter cabinet color closer to the actual natural tone of cherry wood, which is gorgeous. You want some contrast between the two, even if it's just a couple of shades. Putting in two different floors in a open space can chop it up visually. Dark vertical surface close in a space more than dark horizontal ones, which will move your eye around the room and make the space seem larger.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have natural cherry cabinets in my kitchen and hardwood floors that flow from one room to the next. My floor are a very light and I love the contrast with the warm tone of the cherry. If you do the floor in the same wood as your cabinets I think it will obscure the beauty of cabinets.
    I am sure you have looked at many inspiration photos but here is a non professional picture of my kitchen to show how nice contrast looks.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

We are going with mid tone stained cherry cabinets and a lighter floor color. We just had our hardwoods refinished a lighter color as we didn't like how fast dusty footprints showed up on the darker floors. We also wanted the star to be the cabinets, not the floor.

IMO, hardwoods have no place in kitchens, bathrooms, or any other location that has a water source. You always have to worry about water damage from some leak or overflowing pot that was left unattended. A couple of months after we moved in we had the water valve for the refrigerator icemaker fail and flood part of the kitchen. It was more than 6 months before the cupping of the boards died down. Refinishing them was the only way to remove the last signs of the water damage. Hardwoods also get scarred up from things being dropped on them. With our family of 5 we can put a lot of wear and tear on a floor. Unfortunately, DW loves hardwoods in the kitchen, so I lost that argument. I'd rather have porcelain or stone tile in the kitchen.

• leela4
    10 years ago

This was one of my first inspiration photos for our kitchen which also shows a nice contrast between the cabinets and the wood floors:

And no, our kitchen did not turn out to look much like this, as it was way too modern for DH. We do have natural cherry cabinets and natural maple floors which we continued into the dining room when we remodeled. We had put the maple floors into the kitchen in 1990-so had them for 20 years with no issues. I was concerned when we first had the cabinets installed that there was not enough contrast between the floors and the cabinets, but the cherry darkened fairly rapidly and that contrast is something I enjoy.

• Cloud Swift
    10 years ago

Are you planning on dark stained cherry or natural cherry? Natural cherry is a medium tone so I think you could have it as the cabinets and flooring without making the room to dark.

We like contrast and already had chosen a stone for our counters that wasn't dark so we used natural maple floors. Here's how that looks with natural cherry cabinets in our kitchen and family room. In the following pictures, our kitchen has been in for about 6 years so the cherry has darkened to its long term color. The family room cabinets were just a few weeks old so they were still fairly light. Since then, thy have darkened enough to be almost the same as the kitchen cabs.

Maple is nice for a floor because it is very hard so it won't be damaged easily. I also really like how it works well with our area rug and couch in the family room picking up the lighter color in the rug and not competing with it:

It also works well with our oak breakfast table and chairs. A cherry floor might not play well with oak furniture.