Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluayez

Feedback on Kitchen Layout

bluayez
9 years ago

I've been searching the forums here for months. I appreciate the incredible research and thought that everyone has put into the designs. I think I'm close so I'm just looking for feedback.

We are removing a wall between our current kitchen and dining room. Our dining room currently is used once or twice a year and other than that, it has become the place that mail lands.

We do have large gatherings that a large open kitchen would accommodate much better.

The grid is 2 squares = 1 foot. The room once wall is removed will be approx 16 x 24

Thank you for looking!

Comments (5)

• bluayez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the rendition, but the island is turned wrong.. will add another.

• bluayez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and the pantry

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

You have a lot of space, but your stove is really crowded, with hardly any landing/prep space next to it. I would move the fridge to the end of that run, and put the sink on the fridge wall. It looks like you've planned for a counter-depth fridge, but you still don't have a lot of space between it and the island (especially if it is a single door, as you've shown).

If you can move the range a bit to the right, that would give you more space to the left, though I understand the desire to center the range between window and door.

Your drawing shows a lot of base cabinets - most folks here find drawers to be much more convenient.

I think you need more overhang at your island for seating.

The upper cabinets in the corner are very inefficient. You show a diagonal upper, which I've found to be a big black hole. Then you have 12" cabinets on each side - in my experience, that width isn't very useful. Better options would be a large easy-reach upper to fill the entire space, if possible; next best would be a blind corner, with 24" cabs on each side (either access the corner space from one side, or close it off completely).

• bluayez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you annkh!

The one thing in the room I'm kind of stuck on is the sink/outside window. The wall the refrigerator is on is an inside wall with a window pass-thru that hubby is set on keeping. The room on the other side is a bar/family room. I really want a garden window over the sink. I do agree that the stove would be better with more landing room. When you said you'd put the fridge on the end of that run, do you mean next to the door?

The refrigerator is a french door, just couldn't find one for my visio drawing. It is not counter depth, but there is over 40" between island and fridge.

I never knew the term easy reach cabinets.. but I love those!!! That would work so much better!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Agree with the comments above, but would also make another suggestion to look into.

If venting on the interior wall wouldn't be a problem, I'd look at moving the fridge to the end of the window wall and the range to the wall where the fridge is. The island could be extended to give great prep and serving space, the food storage would be together on one side of the kitchen and in a location where it would keep snackers outside the cooking zone. Prep would flow from fridge to sink to range -- and you might be able to maintain the pass through -- or even open up it up.