Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sevrm

White Cabinets and White Appliances

sevrm
9 years ago

I am planning my kitchen renovation and want to go with white cabinets. I had just assumed that I would get stainless steel appliances, but now I'm considering white instead. My kitchen is small, and I thought that white appliances might make it seem larger or not so chopped up as stainless.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Comments (13)

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i like the white counterdepth oven with an induction cooktop, and then i'd get panels for the dw and fridge....rather than white. does that make sense?

the oven would be something like this:

http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=111204

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

If you can get the features you want in white appliances (sometimes getting difficult with ranges) and you don't have to worry about resale in the next five years or so, white would be fine.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like the idea but would make sure that the whites match as closely as possible --- which basically means bright white cabinets.
    Other than that, I really like Elizabeth's suggestion.
    Yet another idea is to go with a stainless steel range and paneled dishwasher and fridge. The only problem is that paneled fridges are quite a bit more expensive.

Costco has White Ice appliances (Whirlpool) andIKEA has a very similar look.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

nosoccermom, makes a very good point about matching the whites. My white stove is white-white and it doesn't look great with creamy white, as in the first photo she posted. It's not a great look. I love white cabs, but I wouldn't be happy with a searing white. I know some people are tired of s/s, but at least it's neutral.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i had existing white appliances and was fine with keeping white however if you are looking to sell in the next say 5 years, stainless may be a better bet. the big push for me to go ss is that the french door frig i wanted was on sale only in ss. it made no sense to pay more for something that would be less than in my area for resale so i am swapping out white for ss slowly.
    i do think that eventually ss will be "out" but upny is way behind the design trends.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I love white appliance with white cabinets. We did that in our last two houses. It would be my first choice in this house, but there isn't an induction range at my price point in white.

• MissAmelia
    9 years ago

Over half of my kitchen cabinets are white (glazed slighty off white) and I bought all new white appliances. I got a white kitchenaide architect II series, dishwasher, micro (plus trim kit), 30 inch wall oven, 30 inch gas slide in stove (with the oven not the range) and I had a several month old Kenmore FD white fridge. This is in my 11x11 ish kitchen. It looks great, much better then the stainless did. I just did a wood hood and ORB handles and faucets. My farm sink and backsplash are white. I just took all stainless/silver out of the equation and it looks lovely. :) HTH

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I think choosing white on white depends on your sensitivity to exact matching. (Or OCD!) If you want appliances and cabinets to match perfectly, it may be difficult. But if you don't mind a slight difference in hue, you'll be happy. Personally, I love white kitchens, detest stainless steel and would never go for panelled appliances. My next plan calls for white, shades of gray with black appliances.

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

I have a small (9 x 11) white kitchen. I have always had white appliances and just couldn't feel stainless for my place. I thought they would be over powering and break up the flow.
    We do plan on selling in the near future so with stainless being so popular I decided on a paneled dw, stainless stove and fridge.
    So glad I did!
    I don't think it looks choppy at all. To me, it just completes the updated look I was after.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I have a mix in my kitchen with white cabinets - SS fridge (panelling would have been too expensive, as someone pointed out), paneled DW (less expensive to panel, it's just the DW square door), and a SS hood over a white range. I like the white range, mainly cause it is the absolute easiest to clean, especially as compared to SS. The white range doesn't scratch, doesn't show fingerprints, and splatters just wipe up. It is true that the white range does not match the white of my cabinets. Shrug. What can you do. But hey, it just takes a couple minutes to clean it after dinner, and that's all. Meanwhile, my SS fridge and hood are streaky and show fingerprints and kinda drive me crazy. I've seen SS ranges where the burner area has scratches and permanent burn marks, so my white range looks better than that. Having said that, I think a white fridge would look dated, and its size would really make it noticeable that its white does not match the cabinets' white.

• Jacy H
    7 years ago

I'd love to know what you ended up doing. I'm in the same predicament. I want glossy white cabinetry and I'd like white appliances. I'm not one to follow trends--just because everyone else has SS... I'm hoping to find white appliances that look fresh and modern. Any suggestions?

• veggiegardnr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

KitchenAid makes a nice counter depth refrigerator (French door) in white (we got the model that's slightly taller than normal), with the professional stainless handles. I love mine.

I had the Whirlpool white ice refrigerator and I got rid of it after a couple of years. It was very noisy (it's how they normally are), mostly due to its small, energy star, compressor constantly running. But, everything that refrigerator did was noisy. It was so noisy that we could hear it upstairs, at night when we were trying to sleep. We did eventually get used to that, but, I will never willingly have another refrigerator that constantly makes its presence known due to noise. We also had the repair guy out three times, covered under warranty, because it kept building up ice in the refrigerator section (the ice maker was in the refrigerator door). This problem was never fixed and it was building up ice again when we discovered that it was also leaking from the connection where the water line joined the refrigerator. It caused a lot of damage to our floor. That was the final straw and we got rid of it. I don't recommend that refrigerator.

We're much happier with the KitchenAid. It's quiet. The ice is in the freezer (you open the drawer to get ice out), which is where I'm now convinced that ice belongs (vs the ice maker in the refrigerator door). I really don't miss having an ice dispenser in the door, spitting little pieces of ice on the floor. I also like the professional handles on the KA more than the curved ones on the white ice refrigerator. I also really love having a counter depth refrigerator and I do like the little bit of extra height in the model that we got.