Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kksmama

Is the large bowl Silgranit Precis too small?

kksmama
10 years ago

One of my first reasons for remodeling is that I want two sinks. I'm happy to have read about Silgranit here on GW! As I finalize my layout, I'm thinking that 24" bases to hold the Blanco Precis large bowl will be good for both the island prep sink and for the cleanup sink. Our current sink is a divided 17.5"/10" and the larger size seems adequate for washing all our pots, an extra 2" of interior room will mean cookie sheets can lay flat. Is it a mistake not to have either sink be larger than that?

Comments (12)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

KK, do you wash anything larger than a cookie sheet? I had a double sink that I thought was fine but a pain to do cookie sheets on and even worse to do a large turkey pan. This time around I am doing a large single sink. If you don't have a lot of large items to wash I think the size you mentioned would be fine but if it was my kitchen I think I would choose a slightly larger main sink.

• repac
    10 years ago

We have two of the large bowl Precis sinks, and we're very happy with them. So far there hasn't been anything that doesn't fit in them--large cookie sheets, 16 qt stock pot, roasting pans, etc. The only thing I wish were different was the depth. They're a little shallower than our old sinks, which means we have more splashing outside the sink. It's not a deal breaker, though, and I'd get them again.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the first hand experience, Repac! Did you do the same faucet on both sinks? I'd love to see pictures if you've posted? I think the depth for me will be the same, or deeper because of the undermount. Holly-kay, we are rarely inconvenienced now by the "big" side of our double sink, so I think 2 separate, single sinks each 2" bigger should be an improvement. My 13.25qt french oven will fit. If I weren't concerned about the tradeoff of a bigger sink eating cabinet space I might go bigger, but I think this will work.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Repac has first hand experience mine is just an opinion. I am sure the two sinks in that size will be perfect. Good luck with your project. Please post pictures as you go along.

• repac
    10 years ago

kksmama, we did the same faucets on both sinks, mostly because our sinks are quite close together.

Here's a picture of one of the sinks. Just a crummy cell phone photo--but hope it gives you an idea of the size. It's large enough to use an over-the-sink strainer, and still have usable space in the other half of the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for the replies. Repac, pictures are always super helpful, your cellphone camera is fine! Did you buy the blanco strainer or find something else that works? Love the blanco accessories and want to try one grid (might help with splashing?)...but the accessories could add up to more money than the sinks!

• repac
    10 years ago

I actually don't know where the black flange came from--KD asked what color I wanted, I told her black. It just fits over a chrome flange that came with the garbage disposal. I like the way the black flange looks, but it retains the water around the drain more than the original flange.

We thought about getting the grid, but the sink works great without it. Pots and pans clank around in there without any harm to the sink. So much better than cleaning those scratch marks out of an enameled cast iron sink! You will love this sink.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Repac. It is the over the sink strainer (like for fruit, or pasta) that I'm wondering about - I love the blanco integrated strainers and cutting boards but not so much the prices. I'm sure Ikea, or a chef's supply place, is going to have something for less than $200. I did have an enameled cast iron sink once and swore it would always be stainless after that, so I'm happy to know you aren't having chipping problems. Do you know if a sink setter or similar system was used to install yours?

• repac
    10 years ago

My misunderstanding, kks! I agree with you about the expense for the Blanco integrated strainer--a little bling is great in the kitchen, but I wasn't anxious to spend my "bling" $$ on a strainer. So I tried a $20 strainer from Bed Bath & Beyond, and it works great (see photo). Maybe it doesn't look as nice as the Blanco version, but it's not exactly the focal point of my kitchen. ;) In the photo, you can see the little rubber feet on it so that the stainless portion never touches the granite. Is that what you're considering?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• repac
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention--we did not use a sink setter/similar system to install the sink. They had to scoop out the sides of the cabinet to fit the sink, then reinforced it from below.

• kksmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, yes, that is exactly what I hoped for! My children snack on produce, and less nutritious food when the produce isn't handy.

Thanks for your patience with my questions! 2 more and I'll let you get back to enjoying your lovely kitchen: Why did cabinet have to be scooped, what size is it? Now I'm torn between planning to avoid that problrm by using bigger cabs and seeing if I can "get away with it" too! What is your granite, and do you have more pictures posted? (I know, that isn't really 2, sorry!).

• repac
    10 years ago

We have a slightly different setup for our sinks than most. We have two Silgranit Precis sinks in a 53" cabinet. It had to be scooped because I wanted a trash pullout between the two sinks (plus a garbage disposal on each sink). Also I have tilt-outs below each sink.

Our granite is Volga Blue. All of those silvery areas actually are fluorescent blue at the right angle. It's also quite durable, stands up well to a busy kitchen. Haven't posted any photos--no decent camera to do it justice! Have you chosen your granite yet?

Ask as many questions as you wish. I appreciated the help from so many GWers, and am happy to do what I can to help. Especially for a talented mother who can get her kids to like fresh produce!