Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Tell us about yourself~~

phoggie
15 years ago

This is such a lively post. I saw this on another forum and thought it would be interesting to do it here.

1. Name, age, sex, marital status, occupation

2. Where do you live? (or area)

3. How large is your house?

4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted? describe

5. What color are your appliances? Countertop? Flooring?

6. Do you have stained or painted woodwork in your home?

Comments (151)

• westsider40
    15 years ago

Oh boy! Beverly, almost 68, born 1940! Married dh 32 yrs. ago. SAHM to adopted 17 yr. old DD. Also mom to 46 DS and 44 DD. Yup, 3 kids and one Gorgeous Grandson. Very tired and confused. Retired paralegal and health claim manager. I was 50 and DH was 43 when we adopted Chloe, now 17. Almost too tired to start the reno of the 1989 "temporary cosmetic" re-do of orig 1960 kitchen, 1700 s.f. blah, split level in north 'burb of Chicago. Have lived in this stuffed house for 31 years. DH is a pack rat and compulsive shopper, in denial.
    Current kitchen has junk stuffed white painted cabs, trashed 1989 maple hw floors, and '89 electrostatically white painted over orig copper appliances, now peeling off disgustingly.
    Painted and stained woodwork. HW everywhere.
    Planning minimalist kitchen. What are the chances of that happening? Have money now but in search of arsonist!

• pennylaney
    15 years ago

1. Name, age, sex, marital status, occupation -
    Sandi, almost 49, married, software engineer

Southern Maryland

2200 sf w/additional 800 sf finished in basement

Cherry w/toast stain - shaker style

Stainless appliances/kashmir granite/red oak flooring

6. Do you have stained or painted woodwork in your home
    Painted "alabaster" white

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

1. 1. Name, age, sex, marital status, occupation -
    Dcclerk (still a bit cautious), 35, married, with 3 little kids; attorney & mom

Southern California

current: 870 sq. ft.
    Future: 2700 plus unfinished basement

Current: dark pine. truly hideous
    Future: white shaker

Current: white appliances, white 4X4 mottled tiles, cracked brick floor chipping in pieces

Future: wide plank wood, looks like walnut

Current: stained mdf. truly a sight to behold
    Future: probably white, but still not completely decided

• plllog
    15 years ago

Hi, everyone, and a special congrats to Igloochic. I've been away from here, and from working on the kitchen, for many months and thought this would be a great place to jump back in.

1. JC, 48, female, single, artist
    2. So.Cal.
    3. 3100sf + studio
    4. Stained. Currently 80's no hardware medium oak. Will be light bamboo?

5. White coolers and smalls, black stove, oven, dw, red hood, changing to paneled, with some stainless, glass and chrome. Countertop is white tile with yellow trim and will probably be jade bioglass or white quartzite since I can't find any tile I really like and can't afford pyrolave. Floor is light, textured tile (kind of taupe with white bumps). Will probably be something similar but prettier. I found some gorgeous tile with an incised pattern, subtle colors, and transient glowing gold touches...which sucks all the light out of the room. Probably not getting that :)
    6. Both. Beams, floors and cabinets are stained. Baseboards and other cabinets are painted.

• kitchenredo08
    15 years ago

1. Mary, 48, F, married, 28 years, 3 grown sons, Engineering associate (guess what that means)
    2. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    3.2450 sq. ft.
    4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted? describe? Currently white melamine, new ones maple with nutmeg stain
    5. What color are your appliances? white now, stainless future, Countertop? grey laminate now Arandis granite future, Flooring? beige tile
    6. Do you have stained or painted woodwork in your home? Mostly painted

• mostlylurking
    15 years ago

1. Judy, 40, Female, Single, 2 grown (boomeranging) DDs and 1 adorable grandson, Bartender
    2. Denver, CO
    3. 3000 sq. ft.
    4. My new kitchen cabinets (I am almost ready to post pics) are birch with a toffee stain
    5. I have stainless appliances, Creme Bordeaux Granite, and Knotty Pine Pergo Flooring
    6. I just finished ripping out all the carpet and trim work and continued the Knotty Pine throughout the house and put in all new white painted trim. It looks so much better :)

• gwent
    15 years ago

1. "Gwen", 53, married, arts administration
    2. Massachusetts
    3. Renovating ''came down in the family" shingle style summer hse to our "forever" house. i.e. almost total gut job.
    4.Existing key features: cypress ceilings and original fir floors, so cabs (coming in August) are painted yellowish w/ glaze for a craftmen-ish look with Motawi tile for my big hit.
    5. Appliances mostly black, SS refrig. no bells or whistles.
    6. Trim to be creamy paint?
    7. Counter: Thinking dark greenish quartz cause too chicken to try soapstone.
    8. Vow to learn to post pix so you all can help me when cabinets are in!

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

1. Aimee, 36, F, Married with 5 kids, Computer engineer
    2. Another one from the Portland, OR area
    3. After the remodel it'll be about 4500 sf
    4. They will be stained a medium color, not sure what wood, maybe alder. No hardware, just finger pulls.
    5. Appliances are a mix of stainless steel and black. Counters will be Blue Eyes granite. Flooring is oak
    6. Woodwork like doors and trim is painted white

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Boxie, 46, F, M, Self-Employed Recruiter (aka headhunter)

BEAUUUTIFUL Bend, OR

Holy cow there are some BIG houses on here! Mine's dinky in comparison. I think it's 2000+ or -

Stained. They're cherry stained in a medium brown called "Briarwood"

Black, Emerald Pearl granite (deep dark dark green with all sorts of pretty sparkles that hubby calls "fish scales"). We have cork flooring from Natural Cork in a color called Toledo.

Trim and beadboard are painted white.

• lisapico
    15 years ago

Phoggie - my mother and her side of the family are all from Kansas & I spent many a summer there visiting various relatives (still do).

I believe Kansans are perhaps the friendliest people in the world except for perhaps Igloochic who is perpetually bubbly, seemingly the most popular OP on GW, and hilarious to boot.
    This is a fun thread to read - thanks for posting.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

48 yo, married, homeschooling mom of 8

West Puget Sound area of Western Washington...mountains on 2 sides, lakes, salt water, trees and more trees...Wonderful!

2750 sf

Some are clear finished (with Waterlox) VG Fir, and some are painted. The painted include burgundy, cream, and light gray. DH is starting to paint the doors and drawer fronts today...Yay!

Stainless appliances, except for paneled dishwashers
    Countertops: Light gray Pionite, a section of stainless steel, and Douglas fir on the island
    Flooring: Gray Marmoleum Click with a few cream colored squares mixed in at random

Clear finished (Waterlox again) Douglas Fir that, like what we used on the island, was milled from trees we cut on our property before building.

• davewg
    15 years ago

I'll chime in too.
    Congrats also to igloochic!!!

David, 37, Male, married w/2 boys + dog. Lead Systems Analyst

South Jersey (Philly area)

~3500 sq feet, but I've never sat down to figure it out.
    We are the second owners of the house built in the early 70s.

Cabinets are stained. Caramel on Maple - Ultracraft. Kitchen just finished last week...must post pictures soon.

Appliances are all stainless or paneled (DW).
    Counters are Baltic Brown and Black Galaxy.
    Flooring is Mannington Adura Mesquite

All trim/moldings are painted.
    New stairs will be stained with painted risers.

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Jim, 41, M, married, teacher, 1 DD 3 1/2 months. (Not a lot of men here, huh? A few of us anyway. Interestingly while I am TKO, my DW is completely uninterested--I guess we definitely don't fit the stereotype.)

Los Angeles area

1824sf. Our planned addition would put us at about 2100.

Good question. I think they are laminated MDF--very worn and ugly. My favorite are the PLASTIC drawers! Three of the drawer fronts have come off. I can't even glue them back on, they just crack off in a new place. Although I am eager to replace everything, it's actually not bad for low-end 1970's DIY.

Appliances: bisque, almond
    Countertop: Whitish laminate
    Flooring: yellowish sheet vinyl all the way up the toekicks

One room has beautiful tongue and groove stained pine panels, built-in cabinets, bookcases, wet bar. Our visitors walk into that room and are generally impressed. It's not "wood paneling". I have that in two other rooms and it's ugly.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey lisapico~~~Thanks for the kind remarks about about the people from Kansas being so friendly. I think they are also. We are such a laid back state, except for maybe Kansas City, things move at a much slower pace. We are in the Bible belt and, for the majority, do have good morals and always are there to lend a hand to our neighbors. I suppose you have heard of the tornado that wiped out little Greensburg.....but they have the good old drive to rebuild and so thankful for everything that FEMA and others have done for them.....not like some of the other parts of the country. Where was your mother from?...and you are welcome to come on back to visit here anytime~~

• lisapico
    15 years ago

My mother was born in Topeka and was raised in Wichita. My great grandfather was the State architect and designed many of the bldgs at KU and KSU (which was called Kansas State Ag College back in 1920's). He was about the nicest person anyone could have ever met. I had two uncles who were vets and taught in Manhattan. This thread has made me homesick as I have such fond memories of when I was a child.

Where are you from?

Lisa

• erikanh
    15 years ago

1. Erika, 40, married, business owner and mom
    2. Southern NH
    3. 2350 sq ft
    4. Awful pickled cabinets and pinkish laminate now, soon to be replaced with painted off-white, inset cabs, considering Crown Point and Cabico; counters will be some type of white granite or quartzite and butcher block
    5. Appliances will include an induction cooktop and be stainless or paneled, oak hardwood floors
    6. Painted woodwork

Been lurking here on Kitchens and Appliances forums for a long time. Finally underway with reno project which includes kitchen, dining room and family room. I'm grateful to everyone who contributes here and takes time from their busy schedules to help others.

• mcps
    15 years ago

Mary, 43, F, married, bureaucrat
    Texas
    2400 sq feet
    Painted white...that thermofoil stuff I think. One benefit - just wipe them and they are always good as new!
    White appliances. Right now countertop is laminate - will soon be blue pearl granite with porcelain tile flooring.
    Painted.

• amberley
    15 years ago

1. Amy, 33, female, married, staying at home with 2 little boys
    2. Baltimore, MD
    3. about 1800 sf (including the finished basement)
    4. cabs will be mostly painted cream, 2 hutches stained...once I can stop spending TKO $$ on the rest of my house that seems to want to all fall apart at once...
    5. Stainless fridge, paneled DW (eventually), hopefully a red range... Counters will be soapstone and butcher block, floors are/will be original and salvaged red oak from the 1940s
    6. painted woodwork, sort of- just got all new windows and trim, and they are primed,, sort of...long story

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

1. Karen, 42, F, Married, occupation: SAHM to a 6 year old DD and 2.5 year old DS. Also, "free"lance graphic designer (with way too much emphasis on the "free").
    2. Where do you live? North Shore - North of Boston, MA
    3. How large is your house? 3300 sq. ft.
    4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted? painted - off white
    5. What color are your appliances? stainless Countertop? greenish granite. Flooring? medium stained quartersawn white oak
    6. Do you have stained or painted woodwork in your home? painted.

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

1. Nicole, 36, female, married, SAHM with home craft biz
    2. Philly suburbs
    3. 4100 sq ft
    4. Cream, inset hinged
    5. Stainless steel or paneled w/ cream Countertop Soapstone Pine Flooring
    6. Painted mouldings

• ladyjd
    15 years ago

Judy, ageless, female, retired attorney, now volunteer
    Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
    4100 sq ft
    Cabinets being installed, natural cherry on perimeter, darker stained cherry on island
    Appliances - mostly stainless and black glass, refrigerator trimmed in wood to match cabinets
    Countertops will be granite (blue pearl) with an exotic granite on island
    Woodwork is painted or soon will be

• danielle00
    15 years ago

This is such a lively post. I saw this on another forum and thought it would be interesting to do it here.
    1. Danielle, 30, married 8.5 years, 4 children
    2. Midatlantic suburban area
    3. we are selling our 2200 square foot house today and moving in to a 1700 square foot farmhouse at the end of the month.
    4. we have high-gloss laminate cabinets now (white uppers, stainless steel lowers
    5. white/stainless appliances, slate floor, bosch appliances
    6. Painted woodwork.

not sure what will be going on in the new house.

• gailrolfe
    15 years ago

Since I've been posting more and more and find myself thinking of more and more questions I'd like to ask, I guess it's time to introduce myself properly!

1. Gail, 54, F, married, exbanker, now SAHM to 11 yo son (yes, igloochic, at 43!)and one Coton de Tulear dog
    2. LA area
    3. 3100 sq ft, Mediterranean style
    4. Current cabs are painted white slabs--future will probably be white shaker
    5. Current appliances are white junk--not sure whether future will be white or SS but definitely not junk
    6. The woodwork in our home is a mix, unfortunately. Originally it was all a nice stained wood but somewhere along the way someone decided that was "out" and they painted a lot of it...we're caught in the quandary of what to do about it...

It was fun reading all the above introductions...what a variety of members!

• sarany
    15 years ago

I just discovered this forum and have learned so much already from all of you. I think I'll have a lot to contribute, and oh so many questions to ask as my renovation gets under way in the coming months.

1. Sara, 31, female, married, speech pathologist
    2. Long Island, NY
    3. 4600 square feet
    4. Right now the cabinets are bright yellow painted wood with matching bright yellow formica. It is the first thing people commment on when they visit.
    5. The kitchen is a sight for sore eyes, won't scare you with the details, but we'll be fixing it up soon--the house needs a major facelift. Can't wait till we can post before and after pics.
    6. White painted wood throughout the house.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Pattie, 48, Married Mom of 6, grandma to 2, Personal trainer/redecorator (how's that for multi-tasking?!)
    Chapel Hill, NC formerly Long Island and the Hudson Valley in NY
    4200 square feet (or something like that, 3 kids still home (the others keep coming back), and my parents live with us-that's a WHOLE other issue (if you think I-Chick likes her wine, you should live here...)
    Cherry perimeter cabs with a paprika glaze, island is an off white linen color with a glaze, granite is Giallo Veneziaano, dark stained wood floors, SS appliances
    Trim is white throughout house except for my office/study where it is SW Jasper- a blackish green

• Buehl
    15 years ago

1. 50+, F, M, w/1 pre-teen & 1 teen, Sr Systems Engineer...meaning Requirements/Testing/QA...whatever is needed!
    2. Maryland
    3. ~2500 ft2 + 1/3 finished basement
    4. Stained...cherry wood, mandarin orange stain, coffee glaze
    Traditional style (Omega, Anson door)
    5. SS appliances, Absolute Black granite countertop, beige tile floor, no BS yet!
    6. Woodwork is painted

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

1) 45,F, Married, 3 teens, RN, SAHM
    2) New Hampshire
    3) 5500 sq.ft.
    4) Will be painted, creamy
    5) Paneled appliances,granite,medium stained hardwood floors
    6) Lots of painted woodwork

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

1. Carol, 48, female , married 22 years, one DS age 18, SAHM since my boy was born. He's leaving for college so I'm thinking about what to do next!

2. Virginia

3. My house is a 1963 custom ranch/rambler money pit on one acre. Rough estimate is 3200 sq. feet living space, not including garage.

4. Kitchen is small (per 1963 standards). Cabinets are currently frosted oak which appear quite pink in color. They will be painted creamy white with new doors and hardware. One section of the kitchen will be getting new cabs.

5. Countertop currently pink formica, changing to soapstone. Appliances 18 years old and falling apart, changing to GE Cafe in stainless. Floor currently pink linoleum, changing to red oak hardwood to match existing floors in remainder of house. And in case you're wondering -- No, I didn't choose pink, pink, pink. That distinction goes to previous owner.

6. I have painted woodwork. I like continuity so the woodwork throughout the house is painted Shell White.

• sarah_belle
    15 years ago

1. Sarah, 29, female, married, internal auditor
    2. Montgomery, AL
    3. Out current house is a 1,900 sq.ft. 1928 bungalow, but it is currently on the market. We are looking to move into a 3,700 sq.ft. 1910 traditional (if the starter home would ever sell, dern it!!)
    4. Cabinets are painted white. Our largest set of upper cabinets are painted white with glass fronts.
    5. Large appliances are white. Small appliances are stainless. The countertop and backsplash are white cermaic tile. The counters have this sad little piece of light-stained wood as trim at the bottom. The rest of the trim (toe boards, crown molding, etc) have white painted trim. The flooring is mexican tile. I love the floors. It gives the sage paint on the walls a nice pop. Of course, this is at the house we are trying to sell. The house we are trying to buy has a pitiful, 80's reno country kitchen... with formica countertops and lino floors. It is so sad!! That's why I came here - to get inspiration.
    6. This question confused me. We have hard wood floors throughout, but the baseboards and crown molding are painted.

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

1. LC, 40, female, , musician, married coming up on 10 years, 2 great kids, hoping for one more in my 40's (tips, Igloochic?)
    2. Chicago, yes, the city of.
    3. 2800 sf.
    4. no stain, no paint. Natural, carmelized bamboo.
    5. ss appliances, no countertop yet!
    6. woodwork? Boring. how about favorite book or original recipe ideas?

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Rachel, 27, female, married, artist (www.shadetreegallery.com, if you'd like to see my work :)

Currently living on Okinawa, but from Arkansas. We'll be moving back there to build our dream home in 2010.

Right now we're renting a 1000 sf duplex

er...laminated. Ugh.

see attached photos, but it's a rental and we can't change anything, not even the walls. Tres annoying.

Stained, very thin japanese style

Here is a link that might be useful: okinawa apartment

• paigeysmom
    15 years ago

Crystie, 33, female, married, attorney (public finance--not at all interesting to anyone but me)

Tallahassee, FL

2,300 sq. foot Southern Colonial built in 1967

Off white painted finish with brown glaze (Kraftmaid Vanilla Bean finish)

Stainless steel appliances
    Typhoon bordeaux granite counters
    Brazilian koa (aka tigerwood) flooring

Painted-in the process of being installed at this very minute!

• pmertz
    15 years ago

Patty, 40, F, married with two small children, Manager of engineering & operations in a high tech company in Silicon Valley
    Los Altos, CA (near San Francisco/San Jose)
    2700 square feet (no basement, no attic like most houses in CA!)
    My cabinets are 50 years old and desparately need to be replaced. Brown stained cabinets. Ugh.
    My house is a trip back into time - back to 1960 when it was built. A few of the appliances have been replaced, but they are so old that we will just rip them out and throw them away. Everything else in original. Including our two gold stained glass front doors.
    We will have painted white trim and moldings if we ever get this remodel complete. Right now, we have cheap-looking wood on our cathedral ceiling and no crown molding at all.

I really appreciate all the help I have gotten so far. I am sure I am going to have a million more questions to bring my home up to date. We hope to start our remodel in January!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Jodi - 55 - F - Married 35 years - Graphic Designer

Orange County, CA (45 miles south of LA)

1,800sf

Cherrywood with a Brandy stain and chocolate glaze

- Stainless steel appliances (Bosch and GE Monogram)
    - Impala Black granite counter
    - Coique (Chilean Cherry) flooring with Chocolate glaze, 7" wide planks

Painted

• mcmann
    15 years ago

1. mcmann - 58 - married 35 years - retired librarian

2. S. Jersey (near Philly)

3. 4000 sf

4. stained- cherry with a dark cherry stain

5. SS Dacor cooktop, double oven,Sub zeros - cherry to match cabinets
    Juparano Florenzia granite
    Italian porcelain tile

6. primarily painted, stained in library

• karalouise
    15 years ago

First I have to say that I have been on Garden Web for quite awhile and am becoming somewhat "jealous" of the comraderie that I am not a part of!!! SO, I thought I would officially introduce myself to you fine people:)

Kara, 35, married to a prince of a guy, stay at home mom to 3 kids and 3 dogs

Fairfax Station, VA (Wash DC burbs) Have been in DC area for 14 years but will always consider myself an Okie at heart. Phoggie, started out at KU-ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

About 4600 sq. ft. After our remodel, 5000. Part of our remodel includes a 400 sq. ft. addition off the family room and kitchen.

Currently they are oak with stain circa 1986. When finished they will be Ivory painted maple with pewter glaze perimeter and black weathered and distressed island.

Currently the appliances are stainless and will be staying stainless, except for my stainless sink which will be replaced with a copper farmhouse sink. The current countertops I believe are venetian gold but the perimeter will be replaced with absolute black, the island will be replaced with red dragon and the butler's pantry and bar will be black mosaic gold (Thank's Igloochic for turning me on to this fabulous conversation piece:) The floors are currently ceramic tile but will be replaced with wood.
    Painted

• acc0406
    15 years ago

Is that "ICE" or "12 B"? In the hutch do you have uppers going all the way to the counter? Just curious.

• perplexedinny
    15 years ago

Diana, 43, Married, current stay-at-home, former writer/spokesperson (state politics)
    Albany, NY
    2000 sf 1940s cape cod-style
    Stained dark cherry cabs
    Stainless steel GE, Bosch, JennAir; polished Baja Caesarstone w/honed Lagos Blue breakfast bar, tile floor I'm not crazy about
    Painted woodwork

LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

Robin, 48, Married, ex-lawyer/current stay-at-home to 2 pre-teen girls who are 1 yr apart/librarian looking for pt time job!
    Cleveland, OH
    3200 sf
    Stained maple
    Stainless steel Electrolux; still to be determined - we can't find a granite we both love; porcelain tile floor
    Painted woodwork

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Judy, 54, F, Married-34 years, historic preservation
    specialist, critical care nurse & orchestra executive
    director

2. Where do you live?
    Indiana

~ 3,000 sf (built in 1892 it was closer to 1,200 sf)

4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted?
    c.1930 cabinets are painted
    New kitchen cabinets will be stained, probably cherry

5. What color are (new) your
    Appliances: stainless
    Countertop: good question, I don't know yet
    Flooring: wood

All the original woodwork has been painted ;(
    Woodwork we have installed is stained.

• fullpass
    15 years ago

Engaged 39 yr old female business owner (get to work from home so both office and house are under construction!)7 yr old DD and 2 amazing future stepchildren.
    West of Boston
    2500 sf give or take
    4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted? Actually right now one side is painted and the other side is primed! They were a pickled Maple and are on their way to painted creamy white.
    Stainless steel GE Cafe appliances; in a few days our black polished granite that cracked during renovation will be replaced with honed Virginia Mist (yippee!)floors red oak finished with high gloss.
    Painted woodwork

• shknbk
    15 years ago

1.Carol, 53, female, married, mom, volunteer, small business owner (stationery),
    2. Durham, NC
    3. 3800 s.f.
    4. Painted pale yellow (buttermilk) recessed panel cabinets
    5. SS double ovens, SS rangetop, pale yellow paneled refrigerator and dishwasher, paneled rangehood, white sardo granite countertops and maple top for island, hardwood floors. Handpainted cream, yellow blue tiled backsplash
    6. painted woodwork in my home

• emilysmarathonmom
    15 years ago

1. Cindy, 41 years old, married, mom to 3 children ages 11,8 and 3, pharmacist and community volunteer.

2. Phoenix, AZ

3. 3900 SF

4. White painted.

5. SS Dacor Duel Fuel range, SS Dacor frig, SS Miele dishwasher, SS Sharp microwave drawer - all in boxes and hopefully installed this week.
    Countertops - Cambrian Black Satin and Iroko wood also to be installed this week.
    Flooring - Harris Tarkett Red Oak longstrip wood. Throughout our home and the kitchen is to be reinstalled thankfully also this week.
    6. Woodwork is all painted - Dunn Edwards Whisper.

• drjay71
    15 years ago

Jay, 37, M, married, physician (Radiologist), wife is SAHM with three beautiful girls (ages 6, 5, and 7 months)

Southlake, soon to be Westlake TX

Current - 5100 SF
    New - 5995 SF

We are currently building our "dream" home just a few miles from where we live. It will be a Tuscan style home which will hopefully blend some modern and warm elements. We are excited about having lots of outdoor living space including a 24' x 24' entry courtyard, large summer kitchen, pool, and cabana. Right now at the framing stage and will definitely post pics each step of the way

Current - Stained medium to drak brown
    New - Dark espresso brown most likely

Current - SS, Dark green granite, gray porcelain tile
    New - SS built in, prob creamy gold granite, prob light beige travertine

Yes - floors in both

Here is a rendering of our future home

{{gwi:1504608}}

• berf
    15 years ago

1-39-year-old married female, Christian school director and homeschooling mom to two daughers, ages 9 and 10 (a story for another post!)

2-Maryland (DC area)

3-House (living space) before reno: 1400 sq ft (4 bed, 2.33 bath)
    after reno: 1600 sq ft (4 bed, 3.33 bath)

4-New cabinets: Brighton natural cherry with low sheen finish. Shaker doors, slab drawers. Full overlay.

5-New appliances a mix of stainless and matte black. Countertop: Green Mountain Original PA soapstone, Flooring: Red Oak hardwood throughout (including new master bath!) except work area of kitchen which will be Mannington Socorro Slate sheet vinyl in "Fieldstone" color.

6-Natural oak flooring throughout, painted woodwork throughout home (Benjamin Moore "Mascarpone")

Cheers!

B

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

Maureen -- Female, married, retired teacher, 60's, work part-time to keep mind from shriveling.
    Live 7 miles north of Boston
    House is 2600 s.f. - garrison colonial.
    Kitchen is about to be demolished, which is why I'm here
    House has all painted woodwork.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

1. Name: Saylor

Sex: not very often :(

Marital status: Seems okay - consistent - we're happy

2. Where do you live ? : Toronto (That's just north of
    Buffalo but a whole lot nicer)

1. How large is your house ? : It varies. When the two
      of us are here alone it is just right. When the in-
      laws arrive it is way too small. When I am trying to
      find my keys it is way too big.

4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted ? : Yes -
      some of each. White and dark brown from Ikea. Still in
      their boxes. A portion of them will be exchanged the
      next time Precious has a mood swing.

5. What color are your appliances ?: Stainless I hope. We
      haven't opened them yet and if things run true to
      course they are probably a wonderful assortment of
      black, avocado, bisque and harvest gold. But for
      now I am thinking they are stainless.

Countertop ? : It's green but there's some white and
    a little bit of rose and brown and black I think, or
    maybe not. Looked at about 60 thousand slabs so the
    mind gets cloudy at times...but I am pretty sure it's
    green. It's Cactus Boreale granite and all the
    pictures I look at are green so....

It's bought and paid for but not installed. We were
    going to do copper but Precious had a revelation and
    so the cupboards turned white and the copper turned
    to stone. A lot of things turn to stone when Precious
    has a revelation - or a mood swing ... :(

Flooring ?: We are planning on dark brown Jatoba, but...

6. Do you have stained or painted woodwork in your home ?:

Some of both - was here when we bought it. Don't blame
    us. We took one look and realised that we had been
    sent to the property to do God's work. We are rescuing
    the place from a very aesthetically-challenged couple.

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

Christine, 49, married (28 yrs) 2 grown sons, 1 cat, 2 birds and lots of critters (un-invited), retired designer, currently overseer of orchards, vineyard and gardens.

2. Where do you live? (or area)-
    So. Calif. wine country

3. How large is your house?-
    Main house almost 5,000 sq ft. Guest house (grandparents) 1800 sq feet. both on 5 acres of orchards, vineyard &
    gardens.

4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted? describe-

stained American cherry in Merlot with glaze.

5. What color are your appliances? Countertop? Flooring?-

Stainless and copper, New Giallo Venziano granite. Wide plank Brazilian cherry in Bordeaux and Classic Chiarra 20"
    travertine.
    6. Do you have stained or painted woodwork in your home?-

Both. Formal areas are white columns and baseboards and trim work. Cabs are stained in most areas , Front doors are stained Mahogany etc.

• amylovesbud
    15 years ago

1. Amy, 41, f, married 15 yrs, physician turned stay-at-home, homeschooling mom to three kids (10,9 and 1)

2. Dallas suburbs

3. House is about 3000sf

4. We just finished pulling out stained oak beadboard cabinets. They were pretty ugly with the heavy grain and an orangey hint to the stain. Right now there are no cabinets, but soon we will have Ikea Adel Birch. I adore them.

5. Appliances are stainless, except the oven which we haven't gotten around to replacing because it works really well - it's black. Currently no countertops, but they were Corian, beige with speckles. Soon they will be granite. I'm hoping for delicatus. One of the local shops has some in stock and we're headed out there this weekend to check it out. Floors are stained hardwoods. After the kitchen is done we will be sanding, handscraping and restaining. We already did this upstairs and now it's time for the first floor (we only have carpet in the master bedroom and media room, everything else is wood, which I love).

6. We have a mixture of stained and painted. The builtins in the living room and the trim in the dining is stained. It's painted everywhere else. We will be painting the builtins with this remodel - black!

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Soil

• cbjpsw_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Cute thread!
    Connie, 40, f, m, teacher

2. Where do you live? (or area)-
    Columbus, Ohio

3. How large is your house?-
    2400 sq ft, Victorian farmhouse style, built in 1900

4. Are your kitchen cabinets stained or painted? describe-
    Currently: horrible homemade things, built in 1960's(???), with layer upon layer of lead paint (ugh!)
    Soon-to-be: (reno scheduled to start this week) cherry cabs, with a medium/dark spice stain, brushed nickel "antique" pulls/knobs, tatted glass doors...

5. What color are your appliances? Countertop? Flooring?-
    Currently: white appliances, UGLY tile with more paint on top, fir wood flooring, beige painted drywall backsplash
    Soon-to-be: stainless (yay! more ovens and finally a dishwasher!!!), soapstone counters, slate floor (probably), very light tumbled backsplash

6. Do you have stained or painted woodwork in your home?-

Mostly stained original (baseboards, columns, pocket doors, trim, etc.) but 2 rooms have painted.

Thanks for a great post!