Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opusa33

White shaker kitchen project finally done

opusa33
13 years ago

After using the same kitchen for 23 years, we finally tackled this project a few months ago, knowing exactly what we wanted and what we didnÂt want.

You were all very useful with tips and photos and our project is finally finished

It turned out wonderful (at least I think so) and I am proud to show it to everybody

Here it is:

Cherrywood white cabinets with glassfront upper cabinets

Restoration Hardware latches and lightplates

Metro tile backsplash

Panneled white ceiling

Butcher block maple countertops stained and varnished

Caesarstone(quartz: nougat) alternate countertops

Mexican handmade tile flooring

Carrara marble tabletop breakfast table

6 burners Wolf cooking surface

Miele 48 hood

Kitchen Aid refrigerator and warming drawer

LG convection double oven

LG dishwasher

Firehaus farmhouse fireclay sink

Newform main faucet

Rohl Pot filler

Hudson Valley lighting fixtures

Metro rack waterbar

Custom made coffee station( 2 Ikea plus butcher block)

Crate and Barrel barstools

Special cabinet for toaster, microwave, toaster oven and all small appliances(donÂt like to see them)

. Custom stained maple spice rack

Thank you

Robert and Monique

Comments (38)

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

It gorgeous!! The coffee station is super cute. Is your butcherblock from Ikea too? Is your Kitchenaid purple?

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Love it! Wow!

I especially liked how you mixed the butcherblock with the Caesarstone. And the horizontal glass cabinets where you show off your beautiful pots. I have some lovely LC pots I'd like to show off, but didn't think about putting them behind glass cabs. That's so great.

And that main faucet is jaw-dropping!

It's not clear on my computer what is the dark upper cabinet to the left of the cooktop? Is that display?

• madamg2u
    13 years ago

Oh my it is just beautiful!

MadamG2U

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen! You did a fabulous job! The marble topped table is beautiful, the pendants are perfect and functionality of it all is amazing, especially the coffee station! I'm viewing from my phone, can't wait to check it out on a real screen, it's lovely!

• opusa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We already had(custom made 15 years ago) the butcher block maple countertop.It was natural color and varnished.

We stripped it, sanded it, stained it and revarnished it(5 coats). As for the cutting board sitting on top of it it is natural maple and walnut and just oiled.

The dark stained maple upright cabinet to the left of the cooktop is a spice rack we designed ad had custom made. We then stained and varnished it similar to the countertop(cf photo).

And no the Kitchen aid is not purple; it is plain brushed stainless steel.

Feel free to ask any question

Robert

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

It DID turn out wonderful. I cannot imagine the amount of planning you had to do, but result -- a classically lovely white kitchen but with cool, idiosyncratic, and wonderfully functional details -- is an ample reward. Congrats!

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I absolutely love your ceiling, the blackboard detail, and all the glass-fronted cabinets. The glass adds such airiness to your space.

• jenma
    13 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen!

Two questions:
    1) Your beadboard ceiling is amazing! Did you do traditional tongue and groove beadboard or did you buy sheets of plywood/whatever "beadboard"?

2) How far from the patio door is the table? Do you use this door? I'm considering putting an island in front of a door and I'm wondering how functional the layout is? Do people mind walking around the table? Or is the door not used very often?

Thanks in advance!

• niffy
    13 years ago

Wow! I LOVE this! Too many features to count, but especially the wall of built ins by the fridge, with the chalk board door and awesome coffee station, the beadboard ceiling, your larger backsplash tile that you took to the ceiling and over your doorway.... It all looks beautiful yet comfortable and functional at the same time. Oh, and your garden looks gorgeous as well!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Adorable! Love the details/accents in red. Very well planned. Loving your Rohl pot-filler! Enjoy.

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Opusa33 - I think Joyjoyjoy meant the Kitchenaid mixer. It looks purple/eggplant on my computer too. Very cute!

• opusa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The ceiling panneling is tongue and groove MDF(synthetic) as the surface is more regular to the eye and no nodes or irregularities will eventually surface. And since no humidity will ever reach, we're safe.

The marbletop table is 42 inches from the french doors that we use constantly in the summer time and there is ample space to pass between the two(photo) to access the ''same level'' patio and patio table. We know cause even in our ''old kitchen'' this disposition(door to table) was the same for more then 20 years.

Robert

• opusa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops, sorry for the mistake Joyjoyjoy,

No the Kitchen Aid mixer is their classic blue one and its classic lines are the reason it has been chosen to be one of the very few things staying on the countertop.

Sorry again

Robert

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Classic but fun!!

• drexile
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, partly because of the wonderful color and texture choices (your tile floors, the beadboard ceiling, the wood counters), but also because it looks like a real *working* kitchen, and I admire that!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Oh wow, so many things I love: the floor tiles, the cool faucet and sink, the coffee station, the spice cubby.

• gretagargo
    13 years ago

You should be proud, this came out beautiful!! I love all the details and different materials you used. It looks as if it evolved over time yet very well planned and polished. Nice job!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen and eating space!! So many beautiful details--too many to name. The touches of red (my favorites are the floor tiles, little red flowers on table & chairs, and red tiles above the windows). Counters are beautiful together. Love the spice rack and glass cab doors. Sooooo well planned & executed. Bon appetit!

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Wow! Wow! WOW!! Such a beautiful space. Also love your dining nook, patio and all the windows around the dining area! Awesome space and beautiful kitchen.

Enjoy the summer in this beautiful space. Just by leaving the doors open you get the feel of being in a covered porch cooking :-)

• granite-girl
    13 years ago

Wow that is just beautiful ! I love the mix of materials & textures! Great job!

• earthpal
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks lovely and functional! Especially love how by mixing your countertop materials, you avoided the seam problem. Bravo!!

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Great kitchen with unexpected touches. I like the bottle rack with the different colored glass. Enjoy!

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Fabulous! Some very unique touches. You really personalized the space. I love the brown spice cab near the range. Very nice touch!

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

I LOVE it! I am drooling over the ceiling and the maple counters. Great job!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I love the mix of coutnertop materials even though I'm usually not a big fan of that. The darker butcher block provides that richness that you needed to contrast with all of the creamy white. (I can't wait for my white shaker kitchen!)

Did you paint the cabs? Were they custom?

Also, can I ask about your coffee station? I have a Gaggia super auto and can't seem to bring myself to putting it that far away from the sink in the upcoming remodel. Do you have to haul water to it? What about cleaning the steaming wand? You must use it daily, right? TIA

• gam51
    13 years ago

Love, love love it!!! Congrats on a job well done!! I'm trying to understand the coffee station. Did you get 2 carts from Ikea that you added the drawers to? It doesn't look like the typical Ikea product. It is soooo adorable. Enjoy your new kitchen.

• opusa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cabinets were custom made and painted in the shop. A nice little touch is the back inside part of the cabinets being painted the same color as the remaining kitchen walls. It adds depth to the glass front upper cabnets.

As for the coffee station it is effectively 2 Ikea kitchencarts bolted together, top parts removed and replaced with the same stained maple butcher block as the kitchen countertop.

I built sliding blocks inside the carts and fitted the carts with adjusted wooden wine cases from my cellar to act as storage for coffee beans,some cups and saucers, table placemats etc....

The coffee machine a La Spaziale Vivaldi, which is used for an average of 10 cups a day, is connected to a permanent waterline and liquid drainage and I find it very useful so close to the table.The foaming wand is easy to clean with a damp cloth left close by and I soak it every 2 days to clean it more effectively.

I also added a fixture light on a dimmer immediately overhead of the coffee station, so as not to spoil the mood of romantic candlelit dinners with full kitchen lighting

Robert

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Robert, thanks for the reply. I just googled your Vivaldi and see that it is a direct plumb. My poor little Gaggia is not. What a gorgeous machine!

Thanks for the cab info. What color are they painted? Is the tall cab next to the fridge with the blackboard used as a food storage pantry?

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Wow. Now there's a kitchen after my own heart. I love it! All of it. But especially the glass cabs and dining/sunroom with coffee bar. Congratulations!

• opusa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know if you want the cabinet color:

Sico natural white 717-501 or

inside color: Benjamin Moore: CC-700(smoky green)

The upright cabinet is a double sliding pantry(photo)

Also a photo of the magic corner:

and a smaller secondary pantry right by the cooking surface for the immediately needed essentials

Robert

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Oh my! Every picture is making me love this kitchen more and more! That FLOOR is amazing. I really love it!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I REALLY love the feel of your kitchen! Somehow plain, practical, and functional (and I mean that all in a good way...Plain as in having clean lines without too much fussy or overly dressy feeling detail), homey and a bit unfitted with some colorful dishes, select open shelving, etc., but still very neat and with a place for everything and everything in its place' organization. (Long sentence, sorry!) I love how the 2 surfaces on the island turned out, although I have to admit, I wouldn't have thought I would like the change of counter over the dishwasher...Shows how picky we can get when working 'on paper' and how great things can look when finished. Of course, the spice rack is a shining star in the room, and it was a great idea to include it under the crown molding.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Amazing job! Gorgeous kitchen with a cool mix of styles that looks like it's been there forever but is modern at the same time. Man oh man you have some gorgeous views into your lovely yard. You must love being in your new kitchen drinking coffee from your fabulous coffee machine!!! I'm a little jealous over here :)

Congrats! Your hard work surely has paid off. Enjoy!

• beachbum
    13 years ago

Lovely kitchen!
    I have a question about your butcher block counter tops. Obviously you liked them enough to re-install them. Did you have a problem with them around the stove and sink before so you choose to put something else there this time? Or was it that you simply had a limited amount to reinstall and so doing it this way made the most sense?
    We are considering putting them in, and people I meet in real life keep cautioning me about them.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Those floors are really special and the kitchen well designed (I would never leave the sun room!) Congratulations!

• opusa33
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For Beachbum,

You are right on.

From experience, butcher block maple countertops don't fare well with intense heat, lots of water and strong cleaning products

This is why upon remodeling, we put bullet proof material in the area around the sink and cooking surface, eliminated the worn out pieces and used what was left for the coffee station.

Robert

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen!! I love the bead board ceiling. Love the chalkboard in the cabinet door. Love the all glass uppers with blue backs (I have those too!). Love the spice rack. Faucet is fabulous. Love the cookbook shelves tucked under the island. The kitchen is lovely and looks like it will function wonderfully. Happy cooking!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I love it! I love all your custom touches that make it YOUR space.

My faves: The sink (oooooh I wanted that sink, but at the time it was too expensive!); that wonderful ceiling--I am all about bead board!; that cleverly designed and totally unique coffee station; that beautiful spice cabinet; that very convenient appliance cabinet--wanted something similar, but didn't have the space; and THAT VIEW! *sigh*

You did such a wonderful job--you must be over-the-moon crazy abut your new space! Congrats!