Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Marble Safe Liquid Hand Soap

pricklypearcactus
13 years ago

What liquid hand soaps are safe for use in a sink with carrera marble countertops? I have previously used Softsoap or Ivory (with laminate countertops), but I do not have a marble sample for testing and I would hate to unnecessarily etch my countertop. Ideally I would like to find something I can purchase at a grocery store (not have to special order online) that has minimal scent. If the product is environmentally friendly, that would be even better.

This is actually for a bathroom countertop, but this forum has a significant number of marble countertop users, so I thought I might be more likely to get answers here. I have guests coming to visit soon, and I'm trying to wrap up a bathroom remodel so guests can wash their hands again.

Comments (7)

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Me too! I had never thought of this being a problem, but only 2 weeks into the house, and I've noticed a faint etched shape that is the exact shape of the foamy soft soap dispenser on our carrerra! Can you get rid of this etching? We've had other types of marble countertops before, adn this has never been a problem! May be we'll just stick with bar soap in that bathroom. I'm trying not to treat this house with kid gloves bc I want us to be able to let loose in this house, and besides, with 4 boys, this house is not going to be gently treated.

• oneandonly
    13 years ago

I was thinking about the same thing now that I'll have marble counter tops. I love Method Pink Grapefruit dishwashing soap. But since it's citrus, is it safe to use around marble? I find thick soap runoff pooled at the bottom of soap dispenser on the counter sometimes.

Also, I like using soapy water to wipe down my current tile counter, but is this dangerous to the marble?

• pps7
    13 years ago

Bump!!!

I currently use Method sea minerals foaming hand soap. Anyone know if this is safe for polished carrera marble?

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

I'm curious about this question because we put the kind of liquid soap that has little yellow specs suspended in it into our new soap dispenser, and we started to see discoloration of our stainless steel sink(!) I made my husband empty it and put in a clear dish soap, and the problem went away.

Has anyone noticed something to stay away from, with respect to either stainless or marble?

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I'm curious too..... I've seen this question asked several times over in the bathroom forum mostly. I haven't noticed that anyone has answered it yet. I hope someone can answer this time and I REALLY hope the answer is sitting on a shelf in my local supermarket and not something that needs to be ordered :)

BTW, I tried the new 409 Stone Cleaner based on a GWers recommendation. It works great and best of all, it was $4.49 at the supermarket!

• atwhitten
    13 years ago

Hello. We have recently installed marble counters in the kitchen and I was told to use Ivory dishsoap. So far, so good. As far as hand soap, I would probably stick to something mild in scent, no dyes used for coloring, and steer clear of citrus. I use AuLait, which is like a milk-based, white soap. I love the smell and haven't had any problems with it. However, it is hard to find. I also love the 409 Stone cleaner!!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Andrea

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Martha Stewart's brand is supposed to be marble safe, so says the product description, 30 bucks for a 6 pack. I'm going to try it.....

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!