Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
als6w

Dark Cherry Cinnamon Cabs - light or dark countertops? (Pics?)

als6w
14 years ago

Hi all-

I am in the process of planning my kitchen remodel (aren't we all?) and need some advice. We have gorgeous solid wood dark cherry cabs that we will keep (and add to in the same color). What I am struggling with is whether to go light/white with the counters or dark/black. They are 2 very different looks - and I like them both!

We won't be using granite or marble - will be likely use caesarstone or silestone.

If you have dark cherry cabs, can you let me know what countertops you chose and why? Any pics are certainly welcome.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• peggross1
    14 years ago

I have a family room paneled completely in cherry and it is VERY dark in there. We used dark blue draperies on the large picture window and I think they look great, but it is all very dark. I'm sure you know that real cherry wood tends to keep getting darker over time.

I also have very dark brown cabinets in my kitchen island and would be unhappy if my countertop were also dark; I used marble instead and prefer that look.

Good luck to you!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

I like a contrast. I have medium cherry in my kitchen and dark cherry in my PR. I also prefer lighter counter tops because they are a breeze to keep clean from finger print and dust.
    Giallo Ornamental

Giallo Napoleon

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Not sure how dark you mean...do you have a picture?

I have cherry cabinets w/a mandarin orange stain & coffee glaze. I have black countertops that I love! Yes, they're granite, but quartz is also stone (well, mostly stone). I prefer the look of the dark counters to the light ones. I don't know why, I just do!

Here's a pic:

• als6w
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks all. Buehl- my cabs are bit darker and redder than yours but close enough...not sure how to post a pic.

I am still torn...;-)

• lexluthor
    14 years ago

I have darker cherry cabs and went with Verde Peacock granite. We do have a very will lit kitchen and went with light floors and backsplash.

We are happy how it turned out.

I don't think there's any rule. Go with what looks best to you in your space.

• Jodi_SoCal
    14 years ago

We went with black counters because I felt all the warms from the Cherry cabinets and dark wood flooring was too warm. I wanted to cool the look down with something akin to blue but couldn't find any blues I liked so I went with black. Love it.

Jodi-

• als6w
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do love your kitchen Jodi - have drooled over it many a time. ;-)

• alku05
    14 years ago

we went with light:

• anna_bannana
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen and the color combination, alku05!
    What is the name of your granite?

• alku05
    14 years ago

It is Andromeda White.

• anna_bannana
    14 years ago

Thank you! I am hoping to go granite-hunting over the next few days and am looking for lighter-colored stones to complement the cabinets, etc. I'll keep my eyes open for the Andromeda White!

• wizard19
    14 years ago

MaryBeth1: What color was the stain on your medium colored kitchen cabinets? It looks like the color we are looking for in our kitchen remodel. I love the grain of cherry but I don't want to go real dark because then you can't see the grain.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Wizard, I had them made by a local cabinet co. They used fruitwood stain with a brown glaze hope that helps!

• ktam_88
    14 years ago

We will begin our kitchen remodel on 7/11 and we chose cinnamon cherry cabinets with a dark granite called Asterix. We think the black countertop against the dark cabinet is a very rich look. Just be sure your walls, backsplash and floors are all light for a nice contrast. It's all a matter of preference.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

als6w,
    How exciting. I think both looks are beautiful.
    But if I were doing my own kitchen I might go with
    a lighter counter. I like light creams in the kitchen.
    Although dark does evoke a feeling of elegance for me.

Here are some inspiration pics that I have hung on to
    despite not going with cherry. Maybe they can help.
    Cherry is lovely. ~boxerpups

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

After looking at all these pics... my choice would be for the darker countertops. But as someone else mentioned, just make sure that you lighten it up a bit with the backsplash.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022