Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyersdvm

Over sink cutting boards

Megan Meyers
10 years ago

Our kitchen reno is finishing up and I am trying to take care of all the final details. We have a Silgranit Performa 1 3/4 sink that I would like to get a cutting board to fit in/over. I saw Blanco's model but have an irrational fear of black walnut (I am a horse vet and it is very dangerous to horses) so would prefer an end-grain cherry or maple board. I found a craftsman to make one for me, but I would like to show him some photos of boards in use. Badgergal posted some a few weeks ago, but her link to photobucket is broken now.
I have the standard 1/8 inch reveal on my sink, but don't have to have a flush mount board. If it fits over the sink and is stable that is fine, too.
Please share any pics of your sink with cutting boards.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• badgergal
    10 years ago

myersdvm, I guess I hit the maximum free bandwidth usage on Photobucket so I am temporarily shut down so I will do the one at a time upload for you to see my cutting board. I wish I would have thought to have my Amish Cabinet makers make me an end grain cherry board for me.
    The board I have is very stable. I can put it on either side of my sink but usually have it on the left because my garbage disposal in the smaller bowl on the right. I can cut and just push the scraps off and into the garbage disposal.
    Here is an overall view:

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Here is a view side view so you can see how it overlaps the counter:

• Megan Meyers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Badgergal! Those were the photos I remember seeing and that convinced me I needed an over sink board, too :-)

I had the same problem with Photobucket so I gave up using it and now use Flickr instead. It used be to be that you were limited with a free account to only see the most recent 200 photos but your links would always stay active on a message board, etc. They are announcing that everyone now gets a TB of space, so maybe no more limitations?

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Ideally, you want it to be big enough to be useful but not so big that it covers all of your sink - it's nice to be able to swipe the debris straight into the sink (if you have a GD). What's also nice is if you can run water as well.

I have two over-the-sink cutting boards. One's a "generic" board that I got from Amazon; the other was designed to fit over my sink (prep sink).

Kohler cutting board (made for my prep sink):

In the collage below, the upper photos are of the one that fits my prep sink. The lower photos are the "generic" one.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Badgergal: oh! I love your cutting board!!! I need to look into that!

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Badger- I need to snag one of those!

• Megan Meyers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my custom cherry end grain cutting board. I am happy I waited for this one. It was actually less expensive than Blanco's too! The craftsman who made it, Jones Cutting Boards, had me send him exact dimensions and a template for my sink. I shared Badgergals's photos with him, too, and said make it just like that one :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom cutting boards

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Wow - that's one mighty fine looking board. I'm going to save the link - I think I might want one....if I ever get to the finish line!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the craftsman!

• will2kz
    10 years ago

If you have a reveal, why not get one to fit inside the sink? Flush mount is nice, and when juices start flowing over the edges you save a mess.
    I agree though, the others are slick. My main sink is a Kohler stages which comes with a walnut board that slides on a channel.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia