Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over sink cutting boards

Posted by meyersdvm (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 10:23

Our kitchen reno is finishing up and I am trying to take care of all the final details. We have a Silgranit Performa 1 3/4 sink that I would like to get a cutting board to fit in/over. I saw Blanco's model but have an irrational fear of black walnut (I am a horse vet and it is very dangerous to horses) so would prefer an end-grain cherry or maple board. I found a craftsman to make one for me, but I would like to show him some photos of boards in use. Badgergal posted some a few weeks ago, but her link to photobucket is broken now.
I have the standard 1/8 inch reveal on my sink, but don't have to have a flush mount board. If it fits over the sink and is stable that is fine, too.
Please share any pics of your sink with cutting boards.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over sink cutting boards

myersdvm, I guess I hit the maximum free bandwidth usage on Photobucket so I am temporarily shut down so I will do the one at a time upload for you to see my cutting board. I wish I would have thought to have my Amish Cabinet makers make me an end grain cherry board for me.
The board I have is very stable. I can put it on either side of my sink but usually have it on the left because my garbage disposal in the smaller bowl on the right. I can cut and just push the scraps off and into the garbage disposal.
Here is an overall view:

o
RE:RE: Over sink cutting boards

Here is a view side view so you can see how it overlaps the counter:

o
RE: RE: RE: Over sink cutting boards

And here is what it looks like on on the bottom. The picture doesn't show the far edge but it looks just like the edge you can see. The little rubber feet allow the board to be used on the counter without sliding around.

o

Thanks Badgergal! Those were the photos I remember seeing and that convinced me I needed an over sink board, too :-)

I had the same problem with Photobucket so I gave up using it and now use Flickr instead. It used be to be that you were limited with a free account to only see the most recent 200 photos but your links would always stay active on a message board, etc. They are announcing that everyone now gets a TB of space, so maybe no more limitations?

o

Ideally, you want it to be big enough to be useful but not so big that it covers all of your sink - it's nice to be able to swipe the debris straight into the sink (if you have a GD). What's also nice is if you can run water as well.

I have two over-the-sink cutting boards. One's a "generic" board that I got from Amazon; the other was designed to fit over my sink (prep sink).

Kohler cutting board (made for my prep sink):

photo IMG_2988.jpg

In the collage below, the upper photos are of the one that fits my prep sink. The lower photos are the "generic" one.

photo CuttingBoards-smaller.jpg

o

Badgergal: oh! I love your cutting board!!! I need to look into that!

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

o

Badger- I need to snag one of those!

o

Here is my custom cherry end grain cutting board. I am happy I waited for this one. It was actually less expensive than Blanco's too! The craftsman who made it, Jones Cutting Boards, had me send him exact dimensions and a template for my sink. I shared Badgergals's photos with him, too, and said make it just like that one :)

Jones custom cherry cutting board

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom cutting boards

o

Wow - that's one mighty fine looking board. I'm going to save the link - I think I might want one....if I ever get to the finish line!

o

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the craftsman!

o

If you have a reveal, why not get one to fit inside the sink? Flush mount is nice, and when juices start flowing over the edges you save a mess.
I agree though, the others are slick. My main sink is a Kohler stages which comes with a walnut board that slides on a channel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here