Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christieann_gw

SOS: matte or glossy cabinets for kitchen and dining?

christieann
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am remodeling; the kitchen cabinets will open from both the kitchen and dining area so they must match. I like the glossy look but several people told me to go with a matte finish. I am wondering if anyone thinks the glossy finish will become dated. My architect said either would be timeless and it is simply a matter of personal choice (I am already aware of the potential for scratches etc). My only concern is that since there are so many cabinets, the glossy look might be "too much". On the other hand, I like the center cabinets as a focal point and think perhaps the glossy look will give it an added punch. I also think the glossy look is quite elegant and modern. Any opinions? Also thinking of polished countertops if I go with matte finish cabs, for contrast, but with glossy cabs I could opt for a matte finish counter. Thanks so much, I am dazed and confused as there is so much more to consider for this project. I am in Italy and time has been marching on with little to no progress. *will upload another image in follow up post

Comments (10)

• christieann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

this is the second view of kitchen, thanks!

• crl_
    9 years ago

I would go with matte cabinets and glossy countertops. Matte cabinets will show scratches less and, for the most part, glossy countertop options will be more plentiful and less likely to stain.

• christieann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks. I am going for contrast with the black so my polished option may only be absolute black granite as everyone has advised against black marble.

• crl_
    9 years ago

From what I read absolute black is pretty much bullet proof so if you want shiny and black, it seems like a good choice.

But it wouldn't be the only shiny black option. You could also consider the engineered quartz options which would fit quite well in with a modern, high-contrast, look. And there's corian, which is shiny and very appropriate in a modern setting. Also there is a recycled glass countertop. Maybe more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

• christieann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks much for your input! I've thought about these options, from what I've read, quartz may fade and the counter will have direct light. I've also read Corian might actually devalue the house (?). Also that it may be difficult to get Corian very shiny and it will become less so with time. Recycled glass is something i've thought about but have not yet looked into (very expensive, I believe, but maybe not more than granite). I wasn't thrilled about granite as it seems like its time has passed but the absolute may be timeless enough. This is another area that has been making me crazy. Though I am a bit nervous about the glossy choice, I think it's more elegant and modern. If I do choose that route, I could consider a matte look to the counter (maybe slate or granite). Perhaps slate will be contrast enough, even if not jet black.

This post was edited by christieann on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 12:53

• Gooster
    9 years ago

It's just another opinion, but I tend to prefer high gloss for such a modern slab door design. I agree that it would look more elegant and perhaps a little more high end when done in white. With a hw-less design, either way you will be wiping.

From personal experience, I know that high gloss absolute black shows every watermark and crumb. (We have it in our loft) Matte or satin finishes may do better in this regard. You can also try Jet Mist granite, which has a bit more interest (and would look like the rendering).

There are also any number of quartz patterns that would work as well. BTW, have you seen the Pental calacatta gold quartz? It would look great with the right white cabinets.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I was going to vote glossy, which I too think looks really awesome in a contemporary space, but the sheer volume of cabinetry gave me pause. Now I'm thinking matte may help the cabinetry become more of a background mass as opposed to an imposing presence.

I REALLY like high gloss cabs though.

• christieann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@robotropolis, my thoughts exactly, and why I've asked for help! I prefer the gloss, too, but worry it may be too imposing rather than an elegant artistic piece/look. I worry if it's too much I may regret it...but I much prefer the high-end gloss look. It would also allow my to use a matte option on counters.
    @gooster, I will definitely look into your suggestions, thanks much! Not sure I can find jet mist here in Italy, it seems choices of granite are limited to absolute black or those with more white flecks, which I don't like much. I love calacatta but not sure it will provide enough contrast and I've read the quartz tends to fade and the space will have a lot of direct sun. I need to make the choice for cabs and it's agonizing! the architects prefer matte but my female friends all prefer the gloss. I wouldn't have any doubts if it weren't for the fact that there are so many cabinets. It's a risk; it might perhaps give the middle area something special -- a bit more artsy and elegant -- on the other hand it could end up an eye sore if it's too imposing.

• beth09
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

netikerti, since the post is a little over a year old, my bet (and hope!) is that they indeed have decided. ;)

p.s. A good habit to get into is checking post dates. :)