Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
changa_gw

Rustoleum cabinet transformations?

changa
12 years ago

Hi everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster. :)

My husband and I finally decided, after six years, we probably should go ahead and make this house look like it's ours. We began by painting the living room, kitchen, and dining room. Now we're really wanting to paint our ugly builder grade honey oak cabinets in our tiny kitchen. We are considering using the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations since it cuts out all the sanding and it is cost effective. I'd love to use the Pure White color as my kitchen receives very little light from its tiny window. I've heard lots of good things about this product elsewhere on the net and have read about the few people here who have used it. Anyone else has any experience with this product?

Also, stupid new-to-diying-question: When people mention "seeing the grain" of oak cabinets through paint, do they mean the black markings or the texture of the wood?

Comments (17)

• kks_kitchen
    12 years ago

Hello, I am still working on mine but am about finished. Just waiting to grout my backsplash. Here are a couple of pics and a link to all my pics for my on going remodel. You don't see any black color as you had asked. I used 4 coats of paint not 2 as stated on the rustoleum can . I can see grain from oak but it's not very noticable. I used the cabernet color. It took me 2 treatments and cost about $160.00. I got it at L*wes. You can find a builders coupon for 10% inside the moving packets at the Post Office for an entire purchase. I did not take any shortcuts.

Hope this helps. I can be reached at themastersplan2@live.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations Cabernet

• dainaadele
    12 years ago

One of my coworkers just finished hers. I haven't seen it, but she says she is thrilled. She used a dark espresso finish. She described the wood showing through as seeing the texture, but not variations in color.

• jakkom
    12 years ago

kks, your photos are...amazing! What a beautiful color!

And yum, Reese's peanut butter cups, my fav.....must run out and get some, LOL.

• kadydid
    12 years ago

I have gel stained dark my oak kitchen and every bathroom except for one. BUT in my last bathroom I have two doors that I need to strip if I plan to use gel stain again because I tested out colors on them. So I would love to know how durable this is. I hate stripping wood if I can avoid it and would rather use this product on my boys bathroom.
    My kids are really hard on their cabinets.

• kadydid
    12 years ago

I have been looking at doing this and reading some negative opinions of this product on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: This one

• kadydid
    12 years ago

and

Here is a link that might be useful: this one

• User
    12 years ago

It's a scam. The packageing into a kit makes you think you are getting a "deal" It's just a thick gel stain, aka paint. You can get the same results much more cheaply with just a traditional prep work for paint and a good quality paint and primer. If you have oak cabinets, and most folks who want to change them do, any paint will appear to show the grain through the paint because oak has such an open grain that a couple of layers of paint won't fill it. So, the grain telegraphs through the coloring layer.

Save your money and use it on a good quality materials that you buy separately, not it a kit. It'll be tons cheaper because you won't need multiple kits to d a single job.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I had my kitchen sprayed professionally with oil based BM satin impervo. It turned out beautifully. I recently painted a vanity with the same paint in black. I just used a deglosser, primer and painted with a soft foam roller, two coats. The cabinet looks beautiful. I would test any product on a vanity or smaller cabinet. This product sounds like paint packaged in a fancy way. I would get a few bids on having your doors sprayed professionally and painting the frames yourself with a small foam roller. my kitchen was finished two years ago and still looks great. About twice I have touched up tiny nicks (I have three boys) with an artist's brush.

• kadydid
    12 years ago

There really are a lot of beautiful paint transformations on this site when it comes to oak kitchens, if you're looking for the white.

I gel stained my kitchen and it cost a lot less than 100 and I used high quality gel stain and top coat from general finishes. That imo would be better than using this stuff if you were planning on going dark.

Hope this helps!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

KKS: Nice vision! Would not have expected you could get this result. Inspiring.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

When you use the Gel Stain, I am guessing you have to strip the cabinets first?

• kadydid
    12 years ago

Nope, I did not strip my cabinets because they were the lightish "golden oak". If you had a med. Tone and you wanted to go darker you could as well. There is prep work, but you don't need to strip. (I have to strip for my next project because I tested very dark colors on a door or two)

• mareealice_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

In the process of transforming my dark oak cabinetry to quilters white finish with glaze. I am thrilled with this product, hint, I used 3 coats of paint, not 2, don't cut any corners and be sure to let everything get throughly dry before the next step.....

• themastersplan2_live_com
    12 years ago

I think this product is awsome. Follow the link to see completed kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: kks_kitchen completed

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Kate of Centsational Girl just posted her kitchen transformation with the linen color. Looks great!

Here is a link that might be useful: rustoleum cabinet transformations at centsational girl

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Kadydid,
    what brand gel stain did you use? Also, did you prime and use a top coat?

• kadydid
    12 years ago

I cleaned and did light sanding where it was needed. Especially if there was an area where the previous stain was chipping. (I have in the past used a wood conditioner when using gel stain. It is Unnecessary and a hindrance. with gel stain, even when the wood is in bad shape)

I used General Finishes gel in Brown Mahogany. I also used General Finishes Gel stain Top Coat.