Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odiegirl13

How Should My Pantry Be Organized?

Christine Clemens
13 years ago

I am just about ready to order my cabinets and I realized that I don't have a plan for the inside of the pantry. I am planning a built-in 36'' wide pantry. Can you guys give me some ideas? Do I want a mix of shelves and pullouts? I have a second pantry in the kitchen next to the dining area for items that don't get used very often.

Comments (5)

• jrueter
    13 years ago

I am not sure what will be best for you, but I will tell you how mine is organized and hopefully you get some ideas.

I have a 30" full height pantry. The top half is shelves, the bottom half ROS. In the top section there is space for cookie sheet/baking pan storage. On the other shelves I have cleaning supplies, alcohol, and bulky items (chips, paper towels, etc)

In the lower ROS sections I have one shelf for baking supplies (flour, sugar, shortening, box mixes, bulk nuts, chocolate chips, etc). Another shelf has items like pasta, rice, dried beans and dried soup mixes. Another shelf has canned goods. The bottom shelf is for "backup supplies" - extra items waiting for the primary container to be emptied. Usually I have cereal, peanut butter, jelly, and some snack items there along with other things.

A lot will depend on your storage needs. Make sure you take into account tall containers/items when planning the space. You may also find you need some small baskets/organizers on the pullouts for small items.

HTH

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jrueter - did I see pictures of your pantry before? I remember someone with a space for cookie sheets. That picture was the inspiration for my question. Your plan sounds good.

BTW, I stole your corner shelf idea and it totally solved my cabinet symmetry issue. I can't decide if I want to have doors on it or not but that is another topic.

• User
    13 years ago

Last time this thread came up, I saw pictures of different pantries and decided that having two narrower cabinets with roll-outs was better than having one wide roll-out, because the middle of those big roll-outs can become a space that's hard to reach or see.

Something to consider if you have budget/space for two tall cabinet boxes. Note that with the space for the drawers to slide, two 18 inch cabs will have less shelf space than one 36, though.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I also have floor to ceiling divided in two, with shelves above and ROTS below. A lot of the organization was based around maximizing storage space around where the hinges were. The upper ROTS, due to where the hinge is, have a short bottle (think ketchup) sized tray shelf, then two that are one can high. The bottom two have taller spaces and will hold tall water and juice bottles, soy sauce, cleaning vinegar, etc. The lowest of the upper shelves has wine and liquor, on a stable, structural (non-movable) shelf, well above curious child height, and away from light and heat. Above that papergoods, and at need a ladder height rarely used things that had no better home. Within the ROTS I have things organized by type: Condiments, sauces, pasta and grains, dried fruit and nuts, canned things for cooking like tomatoes and beans, etc.

I have storage for baking supplies and spices within the kitchen proper, and also for bread and snacks.

My best advice on organization is to make the most used stuff easiest to get at, keep heavy things low, organize according to how you cook so that things you'll use together are next to each other, and thing compromise for where things fit best.

Or alphabetize. My herbs and spices got alphabetized when I moved back in. I thought it was silly. I always used to organize by type. In my new spice rack they all face the same direction, so alphabetical turns out to be easiest! Weird, huh? I don't remember your family situation, but if you have small children about you can get them to try alphabetizing for you (that counts for fun around here, as well as learning).

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much guys. How many shelves/ROTS should I be asking for? I have 8' ceilings.