Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuffnel

The One True Kitchen at Green Demolitions

Honoria Glossop
11 years ago

I am not kidding, this is coming today. I have nothing to gain at all from this-only to think that one of my forum friends could get this kitchen.

Comments (35)

• springroz
    11 years ago

How in the world did they live with that?!!? WHITE? With WOOD around the sink? It looks SO last year!!

Christine, pick me up on the way!!

Nancy

• marcolo
    11 years ago

::blinking::

B-b-but...don't they know...the One True Kitchen is timeless and classic for ever and ever Amen? No one ever rips out the OTK because it never goes out of style. Never! Somebody, tell them. Tell them!

::sob::

Seriously, though, that kitchen is what, five years old, give or take? Somebody has very effed up values. Hope someone here rescues it.

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

Holy moley, someone is ripping that out? Makes me sad. Especially since I can't use it. Hurry someone - go save it!

• smaloney
    11 years ago

I stalk the GD website even though I don't expect I'd ever find something there (we're hours away, I have a small oddly shaped kitchen.) They do seem to acquire some seriously gorgeous kitchens now and then, but they rarely make it beyond a few days on the website. Often they disappear overnight, even while the kitchen is still listed as coming soon. I keep wondering who are these people who are dismantling and donating such wonderful spaces.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

OMG!!!! It's listed as "The One True Kitchen" on the Green Demolitions website!

What have we done?

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

What is the faucet thing coming out of the wall above the stove?

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Schoolhouse - that's a potfiller. An odd kind of fixture that has a rich history on this forum; if you run a search you'll find lots of posts about them.

I imagine that many of these high-end kitchens are coming from nouveau riche McMansions where the owners are underwater and cashing out as best they can.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I wonder what it is being replaced with - I mean you still need a kitchen, right?

• rosie
    11 years ago

No, that's what they're calling it? What a hoot!

As for "values," this sort of thing is why I'm always suggesting people working with a budget shop Cragslist and such. People are always dumping good stuff. Not that learning someone refused to live with some fantasy-English kitchen in a nice '70s ranch would necessarily would cause me to snatch back my plate of welcome-to-the-neighborhood cookies. At least this this one didn't go to a landfill the way so many do.

• beachpea3
    11 years ago

Along these lines....I was at Historic District Commission meeting last night..a comment was made that there is one wife in town who declared to her husband "You wouldn't drive a ten year old car would you...Why should I have to deal with a 10 year old kitchen?" Apparently she redoes her kitchen every 3-5 years..... Her statistics would keep Green Demolitions very happy....!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

OMG!!!! It's listed as "The One True Kitchen" on the Green Demolitions website!

What have we done?

And by "we," we mean you! ;-)

• katsmah
    11 years ago

It will be at the store near me! Too bad I finished my kitchen last year. I haven't been to their new, larger store. I'll have to make a point of getting there this week.

• jenny_from_the_block
    11 years ago

Wow, pretty kitchen. I've never heard of green demolitions. Do they sell online or do you have to be near one of the stores? I wonder what the "back story" is on that kitchen? Surely someone is not ripping it out and selling it just because they want to replace it with something different?!? Maybe they are doing a full-scale remodel and blowing out walls or something who knows. Or maybe they love "modern"? Would be interesting to know the reason!

• annachosaknj6b
    11 years ago

Am I really the only one who finds that kitchen completely hideous?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Well, obviously not.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

I can see it not being your style....but "hideous"?

• jenny_from_the_block
    11 years ago

Maybe all the clutter left on the counters is thowing off the look :-)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

The layout is not that great, I looked at the full listing on Green Demolitions. Two L shapes, two 27" fridges (SZs not included), a butler's pantry/bar, a desk. Maybe they are cleaning up the layout.

• jenny_from_the_block
    11 years ago

At second look I kind of agree with Pal. I didn't look at the full listing but in the photo above, the prep space around the range looks tight. For people are able to financially, re-doing a kitchen to improve function does make sense. Like I said, it would be interesting to know why they are donating it. And at least they are not sending it to the scrap-heap.

• pamela928
    11 years ago

Some people don't want a white shaker-door kitchen, she whispered in 2-pt. myopic bold....

• ginny20
    11 years ago

OK, maybe it's not the optimum functionality that could be achieved, and maybe it's not the finishes I would have chosen, but when I think about the kitchen that I cooked in for 23 years, that one looks fabulous!

Although the microwave, if that is what it is up there, is too high for me. And I'd rather have induction. But still...

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

There is an $85K never-installed kitchen that is coming up. I wonder what happened with that?

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of white kitchens either, but somehow the total screaming kitsch value of that neo-colonial fridge panel makes up for it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I saw a gorgeous kitchen at GD once and asked what the story was...seems the couple was getting a divorce and selling the house and neither wanted to pay to put in the kitchen, though the cabinets had already been ordered and couldn't be cancelled, so they ended up at GD. Go figure.

But seriously, there are people who think a kitchen needs to be changed out if it gets dusty....they certainly don't cook in them....just have them for show. Amazing.

This is a kitchen of a fellow I knew who got such a tremendous bargain at GD and he was lucky as, though he had an old colonial house, the new cabinets fit almost perfectly.

Before:
    {{!gwi}}

After:
    {{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

For the wife who wants a new kitchen every 3-5 years. I would trade Her in. Who wants to deal with an aging wife?

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Nice after, Annie...but I actually much, much prefer the before! I even kind of want it, and am sad to know it doesn't exist anymore. I hope not all the dated midcentury kitchens get destroyed before I get a chance to own one! I hope the new kitchen functions better for the fellow, though.

Marcolo, I hadn't quit laughing at the your first post before I had to crack up at your second! Effed up values and what have we done, indeed...do you suppose someone at GD is a GWer, or has OTK really infiltrated mainsteam?

• Susied3
    11 years ago

Pal, the one coming up has a Sully range!! I want to see that kitchen.

Apparently, the OTK owner who is taking it out must be a GW member, did you notice there is only one bank of drawers? A GW NO NO! LOL

• sochi
    11 years ago

I love that they call it the OTK!

I think I might prefer the before pic too Annie, although the after pic is pretty good too. Quite a sore.

Hoping no one trades in their aging wife ... Hoping no one would really replace a nearly new kitchen on a whim. There must be some sort of back story there.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

You wouldn't drive a ten year old car would you...

Well, no. The last time I drove a 10-yr-old car was 7 years ago! Still working fine after 17 yrs. Hope my kitchen lasts proportionately.

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

Maybe they really wanted all drawer lowers.

• Kathy Rivera
    11 years ago

The house it's coming from is in Scarsdale, NY - one of the most affluent cities in the country. A house that has a kitchen that big is easily over 1.5 million. If you have that kind of money, you have the money to rip out a new kitchen and put in a newer one! LOL It's probably the new owners dream house and that is not their dream kitchen. (It's not my idea of a dream kitchen - not like I could ever afford a home like that!). At least they are recycling them and not tossing them in the landfill.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I feel the need to defend that poor kitchen. It's not my thing but it's certainly not hideous. And as someone who may panel a fridge to look like an icebox, I can hardly point fingers at one dressed up like a linen press. Plus, the layout really isn't bad. What you see above is the cooking part of the kitchen. Cleanup is far away, and with computer work, booze and snacking all given their separate stations, it perfectly suits the Scarsdale lifestyle of nuclear families who never want to speak to each other even if they're in the same room.

• athomeinvagw
    11 years ago

Maybe the house is being demolished for a new build or the owners are doing an extensive addition. Or they could dislike traditional decor.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

It looks to me like those are kitchen plans on the island and maybe samples for new cabinets there too? Possibly, as Pal suggested cleaning up the layout and maybe expanding the space.

• dianalo
    11 years ago

If that were our old kitchen, we'd have not gone through the hassle and expense to put in a new kitchen. It may not be perfect as far as layout or as big as we now have, but it is better than 95% of the houses I see (new kitchens included,lol).
    I could easily cook well/happily in here for many decades.
    That woman on the 3 year kitchen plan is obnoxious (and yes, my car is approaching 10 years old and I will keep it as long as it is reliable and functional).

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz