Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paso_gw

Spice Pullouts

paso
15 years ago

We are ordering spice pull outs, but we have recessed cabinetry, therefore they become smaller. What is the smallest width one can have for the spice pullouts that are still functional? At this point, they are only 5 - 6 inches wide.

Comments (15)

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i'm confused....are you referring to width or depth?

• vitta_2008
    15 years ago

I had to cook at my friend's kitchen the other day because i am in the middle of my kitchen renovation. She has the spice pullouts and they fit NOTHING. SHe has spice in the pullouts and in another cabinets. I think they are a waste. If you didnt order them, dont do it. Get them to make you a spice drawer.

• imrainey
    15 years ago

Mine are 5" deep and it works for me. Here they are and here's how I organized them with cheap CD storage units from Target.

Perhaps you can see that the front of each shelf is marked with the contents of each storage basket. This set up works well for me.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i have a 5" pull out and a 3" pull out mounted together inside one of the cabinets next to my hood.

the 5"-er has metal pegboard and i put all my spices into magnetic tins that just stick right on there. the 3"-er has thin racks that can hold about 5-6 spice containers each, and that's where i store the backups so i can re-load the magnetic tins.

it's a new setup, and we're still finalizing it, but i think it will work pretty well.

5-6 inches is a pretty wide pullout.

• paso
    Original Author
    15 years ago

edlakin...could you send a picture of your pull out...where did you get the metal pegboard and magnetic tins?

imrainey, could idea, as well!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

in my master bath they're 3" which is perfect for hairspray and shaving cream storage.

• alku05
    15 years ago

I have two 3" filler pullouts that hold a ton! They're on either side of our rangetop. You could use filler pullouts with the panels on them made to match and look just like recessed doors. Ours have columns mounted on top of the panel, and they're like a James Bond incognito kitchen accessory.

The pictures below show one side containing spices. The other side has more spices, an olive oil cruet, and bottles of flour, cornstarch and sugar.

Pullout open:

Pullouts closed:

• cantmakeadecision
    15 years ago

Do the pullouts on either side of the range or cooktop get much heat? Spices shouldn't be stored in the cooking area because it affects the shelf life. Not sure I even have a space for this near my range, but it's a cool idea.

• alku05
    15 years ago

All of the heat from my rangetop is well above my spices, so they're no warmer than any other cabinet storage. If you had a range, you'd want to scope out your particular model to be sure it didn't give off any significant off its sides.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

We had the same problem with inset cabinets and 9" spice pull outs on top of the counter on either side of the hood. So, we made the choice to order those cabinets and the ones above as frameless style with the same door. The inner cabinet is much roomier. However, the main reason we chose to do it was the 9" inset door couldnt' have the recessed panel detail and I would have hated to see those as slab doors in our kitchen.

Anyway, the frameless look great and they are 15" deep so they stand out from the adjoining cabinets and you don't even notice they are different. The one minus is that they came later than the rest of the cabinets and the stain was much lighter so we are waiting for replacement doors.

Sorry, no pictures to share yet...

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

After looking at Rev-a-Shelf's 3" pullout at $180 (which doesn't include the front piece to match the cabinets), I was thinking about making my own out of an extender rail, some plywood and a front piece cut from an extra cabinet door. Has anyone made their own to fit? $180 just seems so much money for a slider and a couple of 3 inch pieces of plywood.

Carla in Sac

• alku05
    15 years ago

Sautesmom, shop around for thr revashelf units. We only paid $95 for ours. The shelves are fully adjustable, and the slides are good quality.

I linked below to shelvesthatslide.com, which is where we got ours. They had much more reasonable shipping out here to CA compared to the companies based out east.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for the pullouts

• edlakin
    15 years ago

edlakin...could you send a picture of your pull out...where did you get the metal pegboard and magnetic tins?

sorry, no pictures yet. it's a pretty new set-up and my wife is out of town with our camera this week. i'll try and post pics next week.

i'll supply links for the pull out (rev-a-shelf) and the magnetic tins below.

alku, your kitchen rocks. i like it more every time you post a different picture. those pull-outs look great. if i had a cooktop rather than a range, i'd have done base pull-outs, but with a range, i wouldn't want spices or oils sitting so close to all that residual heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: magnetic spice tins

• edlakin
    15 years ago

here's the link for the pegboard filler

Here is a link that might be useful: rev-a-shelf pegboard filler

• berryberry
    15 years ago

We have the exact same set up as Alku (I may have stolen the idea from her) and it works well. It is a nice decrotaive touch with the pillars on either side - and each hide a 3" pullout. To me it made more sense to use the 3" on either side for this pullout than make the 15" cabinet on either side 3 " wider.

I was initially concerned if there would be any residual heat from the range but I have not noticed any at all.