Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detroit_burb

Satin Antique Brown Scratches easily? Pictures.

detroit_burb
12 years ago

I am chosing countertop materials, and would like a uniform non-shiny perimeter stone, and liked the satin antique brown (also seen called marrom cohiba-likely misspelled), and got a sample of it. it easily scratched with gently stroking a key across it, more like slate than what i expected. i then took the same key to my blue pearl and no scratches could be made.

makes me very wary of the antique brown. i was very surprised because it seems like a popular choice.

can those who have it currently installed comment on this?

Comments (10)

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

I had it. Loved it. Never scratched. Looks amazing and everyone commented on it.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I don't know how much the finish impacts on scratch-ability, but I do know that stones with a lot of mica in them tend to scratch more readily than ones without. Mica is softer than other stone(s). Our Labrador Golden flake has a few visible surface scratches (after 4 years of use), but it still looks absolutely beautiful.

• User
    12 years ago

Take a closer look. I'd bet it was the key leaving metal streaks on the granite rather than the granite scratching.

• doonie
    12 years ago

Detroit, I have Leathered "Antique Brown" for my center island. The first fabricator I had, broke off a piece of slab that looked just like that scratched one above. They had one slab break on delivery of the completed product and then the second one was too brittle for them to cut.

At that point I went with another fabricator. The new fabricator had a lot of experience working with this stone. I was thrilled when it came. I have had it a year and no scratching. It is a different finish than the sample from the first fabricator. I may be wrong, but I think the first was honed and the second was leathered. I'm not sure and I don't know about the consistency of naming the finishes by the fabricators.

My sample piece was very smooth and nonshiny. My counter now is nonshiny, but it has more texture to it than in the sample.

• detroit_burb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

vsalz - i love it too, but disappointed with the sample's performance, that said, stones qualities vary even when they have the same name

cat_mom - i love your kitchen, it looks like my current house which i have always loved, DH wanted less modern look for new house, i'll be sad to let my slab doors with horizontal grain go...

live_wire_oak - this is EXACTLY what happened, no furrows, just metalic streaks that looks like scratch in certain light from a specific direction, that is why i took the two pics and left water on part of the sample, and i had to angle it to capture the scratch/streak. so, is this removable?? i scrubbed it with soap and water and it stayed.

doonie - the slab place refers to the finish as satin. if i run my fingers over it, i can feel where the different toned chunks meet. it is as smooth and 'soft' feeling as the soap stone slabs, but lacks the shiny surface. i'm not sure if satin/leather/honed are really different things?

Thanks to all of you so far for your time and input, please chime in on removing the metal streaks, i like this stone, but i still have some more stone yards (in michigan it's really stone buildings) to visit... and miles to go before i sleep

• babs711
    12 years ago

I can only chime in on polished Antique Brown. But we've had it for six years and it's just as gorgeous as the day it was installed. And we don't baby our counter in the least.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I've looked at this stone before, in a leathered finish. It's really lovely. Leathered is a different finish than honed.

My only contribution would be to suggest using a granite cleaner to see if what LWO said is true. Soap and water didn't work, but maybe granite cleaner will?

Also, is there another stone yard that you can check to find another slab that isn't like your sample?

• User
    12 years ago

Try some soft scrub. It has a mild abrasive that won't hurt the granite. You get those same metal marks on a cast iron sink bridge. It happens because the granite is harder than the metal, so some of the metal is left behind on the granite when it rubs against metal. It's not something that happens very much in real life on counters. You don't drag one of your pots or pans across the counter with force. The only exception would be your copper pans, which are pretty soft and can abrade a bit if dragged across your counter with some contents giving it added weight.

If you use trivets and cutting boards (as ALL counter manufacturers and fabricators recommend) you'll be fine with your choice.

• annwank
    12 years ago

I also have specified Antique Brown (Brown Antique aka) polished. It's a more difficult granite to work with because of all the mica or quartz in it, which makes it gorgeous by the way! GC got a REALLY good fabricator to do this, cuz it's not easy to fabricate and it's a softer material than some others, but definitely worth it for the look. Have not heard of scratching before, hmmm

• doonie
    12 years ago

Here's some photo's of my counter. I use cutting boards, but this leathered Antique Brown is the work horse surface of my kitchen. I do not baby it and have not had any scratching issues. I hope this helps some of you:)