Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

Please help me with color scheme to go with butcher block island

ssdarb
10 years ago

Hello, we are gutting and rebuilding our kitchen. I was going for a 2 toned black and white kitchen with all cool colors, but my husband has convinced me to warm it up and go for more of a relaxed and warm color scheme. As part of that we are considering a butcher block island. I am not so good at putting colors together. I already know a few things about what the kitchen will have in it:

- layout is finalized
- no appliances or sink in island
- island seats 4 counter height stools for kids
- appliances: paneled fridge, dishwasher and ice maker, bosch induction cooktop, electrolux double ovens
- soft white shaker style frameless cabinets to the ceiling (10')
- 2 glass fronted cabinets on one wall
- granite or quartzite on the perimeter (not sure of color here)
- marble subway tile backsplash (I can return this if I decide on a different one but I like the marble)
- globe style pendant lights above island
- woodfloors
- plenty of natural light

Going for a comfortable feel, a bit contemporary but still casual - maybe like an updated farm style with clean lines.

Can I get some ideas on how to put colors together if we choose a wood island? For example, the perimeter granite color, backsplash color, and the finish on the hardware, lights, faucet, etc.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

What you have is pretty neutral sounding so far, so any colors that you really like can be your theme. By wood island, I guess you mean wood stained, or do you mean just the BB top?

The most important thing, I think, is to decide what color family you want (greys, yellow, blue, green) and whether cool or warm. So you have already decided warm; is your marble very cool or kind of neutral? Have you selected the white for your cabinets -- if so, is it a warm shade too? (yes, even whites can read cool or warm)

Then, it is the undertones of your selections (that is where the colors become important). Stones and stains can have pink, yellow, red etc undertones, even some woods in their natural state do, so you want to make sure that your choices go together (not necessarily match but at least complimentary)

I think, unless I had a strong attraction to a certain BB, I would choose the countertop first, to go with your cabinets and marble, then work off that.

10 years ago

That is very pretty! On my monitor it seems to be a nice mix of warm and cool which should work with a variety of things. So, that is your starting point -- pull off the warmer white and beige in it. Is that your floor? You can see how the wood there looks nice with the beige in the marble.

I think that there will be lots of BB stains that will work with that (or natural finish too, my personal preference tends to be with darker tones).

So, if you haven't got the cabinet white chosen yet, I would make a decision about the counters. Look up lots of kitchens on Houzz with the keywords 'butcher block Island" and "white cabinets" and see what comes up. I bet that you will see some kitchens that really appeal to you, so look closely at those to see what the elements are -- are the counters dark or light? patterned or solid? what colors?

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of my marble tile, some paint cards and my china. The china might not be seen in the kitchen, but I put it in the photo because it was my original color inspiration. I love the taupe color of the flowers and the aqua on the rim.

What color granite should I look for to put on the perimeter counters where the marble will be? Someone had recommended a dark brownish black and maybe doing honed instead of polished.

We don't have to choose butcher block. If we don't I would put a lighter granite or quartzite on the island, stained cabs below, and a darker granite on the perimeter with the white cabs there.

• karen_belle
    10 years ago

Those are the colors in my kitchen! We have natural maple cabinets, a gray perimeter countertop, white on our island countertop. The island is painted gray (see top row, dark color), the walls are the color right next to that. Our backsplash is a mix of white, gray and aqua (tiles shown in lower right quadrant of picture). The groupings of square dark & light gray with aqua in the middle/left of the color board picture is our marmoleum flooring.

No reason you have to change your initial color scheme! I would suggest a perimeter countertop in gray or black.

10 years ago

Really, there is no should to your counter color. Dark colors like black or grey are classic and will look good, so would a marble like look , and 15 other looks too! Just as you look out for those undertones and don't get something that clashes with your paint and tiles -- get what appeals to you. Butcher block can look good with so many things. I love those kitchens that have the stained island with contrasting light top myself. Wish that I had room for one!

Why not stay with your original inspiration? Those are nice colors. The taupe seems to bring out the grey in the marble rather than the tan, don't you think? It is so hard to tell over the computer, though.

KarenBelle, I would love to see your finished kitchen! I am going with a grey/soft blue-green (not quite aqua, more robin's-egg) scheme I think too.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I agree with the general consensus that the materials you've selected so far are very neutral and you could go with quite a variety of counter and wall color options. I love your marble tile and since you love it too, I think you should try to pick perimeter counter material that works with the tile. Take your tile and go shopping! Are you doing white cabinets under the counters or black? (I was a little confused by your "2 toned black and white" comment, and wasn't certain if you were doing black cabinets too or just the white.) Assuming you're doing white lowers too, you could go with something gray or black or even white. I personally would probably go with gray or black. Wall color could be anything really. I love the aqua color in your plates. Maybe you can use that color on your walls.

• karen_belle
    10 years ago

raee - here's a pic of our finished kitchen in our redone 1957 ranch. We finished in 2010. A year or so afterward a friend pointed out that our colors were the same as a vintage postcard I'd framed from "Bernstein's Fish Grotto." I had no idea, LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernstein's fish grotto

• darcyjo1210
    10 years ago

I had a similar color scheme in my last kitchen. All white cabinetry with seeded glass uppers. Counters and backsplash were marble slabs. Floor was a very dark coffee stain. I also had an oak butcherblock counter from Ikea that I adored. I didn't stain it because I wanted to use it as a work surface. It held up remarkably well! The cabinets below were painted a color called french pear. Sort of a yellow/green/grey I included a link that has a similar color with butcherblock. There's only one pic that shows the island well so you may have to hunt a bit.
    As for perimeter counters I always think soapstone or paperstone looks nice with white cabinets. They both have this matte finish to them that makes them absorb light in this lovely soft way so that the difference between the black and white is less stark. If you want something lighter you could always go with a quartz or stone that resembles marfil marble or limestone in a honed finish. (I don't recommend using either on kitchen counters as they're too soft). Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Island with butcherblock and green paint