Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gratefuljan_cubsfan

Are Zero Radius Sinks that hard to keep clean?

I'm deciding between two sinks: the Ticor ss3510, which is a zero radius sink, and the Ticor S112, which is a similar size but curved edges. I really, really like the look of the zero radius but am concerned about keeping it clean. I am NOT much of a housekeeper, so I don't want to be cursing the sink a few months down the line if it's going to be a pain. Thanks for any input!

Comments (18)

• lv_r_golden
    14 years ago

Mine is always dirty, love the look but it is very hard to keep clean. Ours has the grate that sits in the bottom (we have a Blanco)- I do like the grate. However, even little bits of food or the cream from emptying a coffee cup seems to just sit on the bottom of the sink. I use a lot of magic sponges. It is the one thing I would not buy again. I do love having one large deep sink.

• lv_r_golden
    14 years ago

I recant - I probably would buy it again, we currently have too many people living in the house and using the sink - but only I "care" for it. I do agree with zelmar, it seemed much easier the first year we had it, it is now 2 years old and it has really been the last year that it things seem to "stick".

• gratefuljan_cubsfan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. As much as I like the look, I think I will go with the curved sink. It's similar in size, so I will still have a large sink, just not the look I originally planned. Which is ok, I'll save some money too!

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I think by your name you are in Chicago like me. Just a heads-up that my SS sink is constantly with water spots from the Chicago water. It sounds like a priority for you is a clean-looking sink. If I had to do it again, I think I might go with a Silgranit sink (made by Blanco) instead, in the Anthracite color which, IMHO, is sharp-looking. Then I wouldn't have a constantly spotted sink. Do a search on this forum for "Silgranit", and you'll see lots of enthusiastic discussions. People LOVE them. You could also post a new thread asking about them, if you are interested.

I do have an offset drain in my rectangular SS sink. That means you can lay pots and pans in the sink and not be covering the drain which is very helpful. The Ticor S112 doesn't have that.

Here are some single-bowl rectangular Blanco Silgranit sinks:

Blanco 513-412 Super Single Silgranit sink

Blanco 511-652 Super Single Silgranit Sink (can be drop-in or undermounted)

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Here's one of the threads that has swayed me to Silgranit over SS:

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about SS vs. Silgranit

• lascatx
    14 years ago

My main sink is a zero radius we've been using 2-1/2 yrs now. The only ting that's hard about cleaning the edges is that I have to lift the grid to get to them. I love the roominess and would buy one again.

• holligator
    14 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, I have the Ticor S112 (curved edges) and I LOVE it. Seriously. Just this morning, as I was cleaning up, I thought to myself, "I love this sink." Is that weird? It's still a dream to keep clean after 18 months. I love the size, and the sink grid is a wonderful feature.

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

I used a friend's zero radius, stainless steel, apron front sink last week. It's a 1/3 + 2/3 divided one that has been in use for 18 months. I do not know the brand, but it looks pretty beaten up and the corners are kind of gucky. I tried to polish up a bit, when the maid wasn't looking, and had no success.

• teppy
    14 years ago

gosh, i have had my ss zero radius for 6 months now. i don't understand why some/most people find them hard to maintain. i still absolutely love mine and would not have anything else. There are alot of features in my new kitchen that i just love, but this is one of my favorites! When i finish my cleanup at night, i just use my sprayer to spray it all down, the corners, grates, sides, bottom. when we dump a cup with leftover coffee or something, its too easy to pick up the sprayer and rinse.

As far as shinning it up, i did this for the first time last week. i have a can of stuff that i bought from the grocery store to polish my stainless appliances. i tried some in my sink. Oooo, it made it like new again. And, it also waxed it i guess you could say. the water beaded up on it for a while after like it would on a waxed car.

I love my zero radius sink. Its not a name brand either. i got it off of the internet from Sienna sinks dot com.

• gratefuljan_cubsfan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We received our Ticor sink yesterday. It's like a zero radius sink but with slight radius. I guess they just got a few of these in stock. It's a beautiful sink. After reading the Siligranit thread I loved the large one shown in the pictures on that thread. I thought we have a black siligranite sink at work and it always looks icky from hard water stains, but maybe it's a home depot special and not the real thing.
    Honestly, picking out the sink and faucet have been the hardest part of our kitchen remodel!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

NO. They are not hard to keep clean. Really. Ours is just over 2 years old and it's not difficult at all.

I do try to make sure that soap suds are rinsed down the drain after using the sink (SS) so they don't dry in the sink and leave a film (and that's just to save me from needing to wipe down the sink very often). Other than that, no special care is needed.

I give the corners a "smoosh" with the sponge when I clean the sink, but nothing extraneous. And once in a very great while, I'll spray SS cleaner on the tip of a cotton swab and poke it into the corners to check for the build-up that others report having--but there is usually nothing (or very, very little) there.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Forgot to say; a few times a week (usually after cleaning the sink w/ a sponge and BKF), I spray 3M SS cleaner/polish on the sides and bottom of the sink, and wipe it off/buff in with a microfiber cloth. Helps water bead up and cuts down on day-to-day spotting/filming (we have moderately hard water).

Again, nothing special is done to the corners beyond wiping into them with the cloth while wiping down the sink.

• morton5
    14 years ago

I find a drop of Cascade Complete on a toothbrush gets any gunk out of the corners. Love my zero radius-- or as DH says, with a perplexed look when I use that term, "rectangular" sinks. I'm reckless and don't use a sink grid-- the sinks are developing a patina of scratches, but I am fine with that.

• teppy
    14 years ago

morton-barkeepers friend will usually get rid of scratches.

catmom-i discovered the same thing with the SS polish. works great! look at my post above.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

We have had ours for about 6 months. My husband hates it and thinks it is really difficult to keep clean. I don't mind it. What is essential is a pull out faucet (or sprayer) with it (in my opinion). I would hate it if I did not have a way to blast water into the corners.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

teppy, sounds like we're on the same page!

If you can find it, try the 3M Cleaner and Polish spray (aerosol)--rococogurl turned me onto it for cleaning my KA fridge (that thing is a bear to clean w/out streaking). I like it because it not only works well, but is safe to use in food prep areas: Authorized by NSF® for use in federally inspected meat and poultry processing plants.

• HU-95766351
    10 months ago

Definitely harder to keep clean, i would love to replace mine with a rounded cornered sink.. who wants to waste time cleaning the corners with brushes, cotton buds …. please 🤦‍♀️

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022