Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiveunderfive_gw

Frigidaire Twins? Anyone have them.

fiveunderfive
14 years ago

I have seen multiple poor reviews on these guys. We have a large family (5 kids) that may still grow, so a full-sized fridge and freezer would be ideal. We already have a freezer in the basement that is full, as I buy in bulk and we got 1/2 a cow every year or two. DH and I love the look (and more importantly the price) of the frigidaire twins, but it seemed like there was a temperature sensor issue in the past. Sears claims it has been fixed, but I need better advice than the sales guy at Sears. So...do you have them? Do you like them? Did you rule them out and get something else similar you like? I really can not do the $4000ea thermador ones and subzero is out of our price range too. We are planning a sizable addition (large kitchen and mudroom downstairs, and and additional bed/bath plus master rearrangement/redo upstairs). We are hoping to budget about $10k for kitchen appliances.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• hollylh
    14 years ago

I don't know if she's on here much now, but as I remember Trailrunner has them.

• gw_monkeyjac
    14 years ago

I've had them for about a year now. I love them. They have been great. I don't have any complaints, except I could use a larger fridge. Although the fridge looks large, because it's counter depth, it's not really all that roomy inside.

• jeri
    14 years ago

I love the look too and am contemplating these as well. But, the fridge only has 16.7 cu ft which really is not very much. IÂm not even convinced it is as much as my standalone full depth FD has now.

The freezer is also 16.7 which is more than I have now, so that is good. I just wish I could find something larger that wonÂt break the bankÂ

If these Twins were just a foot taller like other built-ins But thatÂs the problem, these really are not built-ins  they are stand alone units that can be dressed to look like built-ins  such as in MonkeyJacÂs beautiful picture. They certainly look great in that kitchen!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

We have the Electrolux ICON set, which, I assume, are functionally/mechanically the same as their Frigidaire counterparts, since Electrolux owns Frigidaire and manufactures them both (as well as the Kenmore PRO set, I believe). We have 2 of the fridges and 1 freezer, have had them working for over 15 months and have no temperature problems.

• User
    14 years ago

Yes I have had them since Fall 2006.They have more than enough room for us . My freezer is usually 1/2 empty. The only limiting factor in size is that we have CONDIMENTS...you know how that goes...little bottles and jars of everything for all the cooking we do. It takes up all of the door and the top shelf. The bottom shelf is usable to a certain depth and then you have to watch as the door goes into that area so you can't put too much on that lowest shelf.

As far as temp we have never had a problem ever. I still think they are a lot noisier that reg fridges and in fact have compared them to other brands in every home we go to and usually you can't hear any fridges of any other brand that I have compared. But they now have the Energy Saver of the Twins and they are a more expensive...I pd 1500 for both units together....and I would get them instead if I was doing it over. I love having 2 sep. units and will never go back to a single unit. In fact DH told me the other day that if I want the newer units I should go check them out and for the price sell these and get those....may just do it. Here is a pic...mine are in an alcove adjacent to the kitchen ( right side of pic) and sunroom ( left side of pic)

• jenswrens
    14 years ago

I have them too, and we love them. I love the look, the roominess, esp all the freezer space, and the pricetag. We don't find the refrigerator too small, but then we're a family of only 3 so YMMV. I like that they're short because I'm short - if they were a foot taller, I'd just lose things on the top shelf because I couldn't reach it. DH joked the other day that if we move, we're taking them with us. We'd definitely do them again.

The one complaint I have is that they're loud. When we first installed them, I thought it sounded like an airplane landing in the kitchen. I'm hoping the sound will deaden somewhat when we get them enclosed in the cabinetry.

• huango
    14 years ago

I have the Kenmore Elite Twins, which is identical to the Frigidaire.

trailrunner: "I still think they are a lot noisier that reg fridges and in fact have compared them to other brands in every home we go to and usually you can't hear any fridges of any other brand that I have compared. But they now have the Energy Saver of the Twins and they are a more expensive...I pd 1500 for both units together....and I would get them instead if I was doing it over. I love having 2 sep. units and will never go back to a single unit."
    ditto on the:
    - loudness of the units. Mine seems to run (kick on) more often than my previous fridges. I've actually called Customer Services about it and they assured me that is normal.
    - Energy Star. My units are not Energy Star and I wish I could have gotten those rated Energy Star.
    - never going back to 1 single fridge. My freezer is PACKED. I buy in bulk (this week was 11 pounds of drumsticks for $0.79/#, which I marinated in 4 styles: Spanish with olives and raisins, balsamic vinegar and anise, teriyaki, and buffalo).

I'm also short so the tall Subzero nor Thermador were never a consideration. I can't reach to the top shelf, let alone to the back of it.

The fridge capacity is a bit small, especially when DH buys beer for the soccer party the same day I go grocery shopping, but it works for my family of 4.

• User
    14 years ago

I looked again and I was mistaken I guess as I can't find an Energy Star version. I did note that the units are a lot more expensive than they were. I had the appliance tech here about 1/2 dozen times concerning the noise and the frequency of the on/off and duration of especially the freezer. The consensus was that it is normal. I will say that food stays very fresh and cold and the freezer works very well. I like quiet and the cab surround helps but they are loud. So it is a trade off. Hope everyone is happy with theres. c

• rhome410
    14 years ago

The Electrolux ICON set is Energy Star...That, 1st, and the quality of the interior, 2nd, convinced me to have them after I'd decided against the Frigidaire set. (I'd had issues with replacing shelves and drawer glides in another fridge, so was picky about interior quality.) Yes, more $$ than the Frigidaire, but still more economical than a lot of standard price fridges (WAY less than something like Monogram, SZ, or LiebHerr). For our large family we'd been looking at getting 2 36" JennAir bottom freezer units, which would have been $2300 each, then would have needed a full size freezer besides. The 2 fridges and 1 freezer we got instead was about the same price as the 2 fridge/freezers. If having the set will replace having a fridge/freezer, plus another unit in the garage or basement, the Electrolux are a good value.

• User
    14 years ago

rhome...wish I had made that choice,,,next time for sure :)

• lululemon
    14 years ago

Mine are Energy Star rated but they are Kenmore Elite, not Frigidaire. They also have an icemaker which was not available on the Frigidaire.

• jerrynorton_rocketmail_com
    13 years ago

I've had mine five years this August. Haven't had any problems. There's two of us so the fridge is ample. Plus I have an Amana out on the patio for pop and juice.

I actually love cabinet depth because it eliminates that row of stuff left in the back to rot. Probably are a little noisy. One or the other used to emit a kind of "whoom" "whoom." But it stopped. Maybe because I changed the resonance of the space by installing a 15" x 15" vent between the pair up high. I have a laundry room on the opposite side of wall they are mounted on. Thought it would be a very good idea as I did not use the vented trim kit.

The kitchen shares space with the home theater set-up and the noise has never annoyed me or been commented on -- unlike the vacuum cleaner noise of the Playstation 3. Finally bought a dedicated Blu-Disk player and put the Playstation in the kids' room.

• lynnhavery_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

We have them, and within a year, the freezer died on us. Fortunately, it was covered by warranty, but what a pain. They are very loud, IMHO. We don't have them 'built in' like some others, so that might help with the noise. We actually built them up on a 5" high platform to make them taller for us.

If Whirlpool still makes the "Sidekicks" I would urge you to consider them. I have had two sets of them (different homes), and I much prefer them over our Frigidaire Twins. 17.1 cf in each unit, about the same price point for both, and they look a little less industrial to me (and I definitely think they are quieter). One drawback: they redesigned the units to have a curved top, so you can't 'build them in' like you can with the straight-topped Frigidaires. Also, they are not counter depth. They are taller than the Twins, and I think they are narrower but deeper.

I think you can get the Sidekicks at Lowe's and Sears/The Great Indoors, but they are never on the floor anywhere, so you can't see them in person before you buy them. We got ours during a 15% off promo sale, and I think we paid $1800 for the satin stainless set delivered.