Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing light finishes in kitchen/great room?

Posted by mayberry (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 10:07

We've selected a reasonably priced large (45x40") bronze chandelier with gold glass shades for the great room. Not easy to find something reasonable in this size.

The island pendants are onyx, but I prefer satin nickel finish with the grey cabinets. Can you mix finishes? The kitchen nook also needs a fixture - and all are very visible/integrated in our open concept rooms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing light finishes in kitchen/great room?

We ended up doing this very thing: a dark finish for our light above the dining room table and the semi-flush lights in the entries from the patio doors, and a matte chrome for the kitchen pendants. We also have an open plan so all can be seen together. I think it works fine to mix the finishes.
From diining room side:
 photo IMG_0106.jpg
From kitchen side:
 photo IMG_0099.jpg

o

I honestly think all of us tend to really over think these things. I know I obsess endlessly over things like this. I wanted the new pendants in my kitchen remodel to match the chandelier over the breakfast table so I had my electrician move my brass chandelier that I love to my dining area that never had a chandelier over the table. It is close to my ceiling fan that we just replaced that is polished nickel and honestly it looks fine. I was going to replace the brass fixture as polished brass seems dated, but it is just too pretty to replace so I am keeping it!

o

Thank you leela4 and holly-kay. leela 4 the light fixture over my dining table in our current house looks very similar to yours!

Holly-kay, I'm indeed finding that going with the flow and working with what I have (and not stressing out too much) is easiest. But it is a process of weighing cost and preference and trying to find the balance that feels right. Should I let go of my vision for the kitchen that included stainless/satin nickel fixtures? Should I try to find a way to make it work in spite of lack of time and desire to stay in budget? I think I'll be happy either way - but thanks for reminding me to give myself a break! Always good advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here