Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicia58801

Backsplash...please help me choose!

alicia58801
14 years ago

Very frequent lurker here. Thanks to your help I was able to finalize my layout and order cabinets recently. We are building a new house with a somewhat rustic feel (pine ceilings, stone fireplace, rustic oak floors) and I'm in the process of searching for the perfect backsplash. I've found three options that I like, but am definitely open to any suggestions!

We have chosen to use alder cabinets in the kitchen. The perimeter will be a natural stain, and the island and hutch will be "auburn" which is a rich reddish chocolate stain. The hutch goes to the countertop, so the backsplash will only be in the natural cabinetry.

Perimeter cabinets:

Alder - wide shaker door style (natural)

{{!gwi}}

Island and Hutch:

Same alder door style (auburn)

{{!gwi}}

We have chosen to put Formica's Basalt Slate on the perimeter. It is dark grey and looks similar to soapstone (can't get the image to show here.) The island and hutch will have maple butcher block countertops.

Okay, now the fun part!

Below are the three options I'm currently looking at for the backsplash. I really love a natural stone look - I think glass might get a little too shiny and modern. However, I do want the backsplash to have a 'wow' factor, but not to be too busy with everything else going on in the kitchen. Oh, and I love the look of the small bricks over the entire backsplash, just like Alku05's kitchen.

Scabos Travertine - 1x2 brick pattern

from Oracle Tile and Stone

{{!gwi}}

Earth Slate "Falling Water"

from United Tile

{{!gwi}}

Earth Slate 1x3 brick pattern - same tile colors as above

As I said, I'm open to any suggestions or advice. Thanks so much!

Alicia

Comments (12)

• qbinqt
    14 years ago

Hi Alicia,

Love, Love, Love the Scabos Travertine - 1x2 brick pattern. I think it will bring the two cabinet colors together very nicely. Go for it! I also love the natural stone look!

• farmhousebound
    14 years ago

Another vote for the Scabos Travertine - it's beautiful and I think would look great w/ your choices.

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

And another vote for the scabos travertine. I think the other one is gorgeous too, but it does not go with the Perimeter cabinets as well as the other one does.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I think the travertine is too similarly colored to the perimeter cabinets and will blend and be sort of blah, while the more richly colored ones will be what ties the cabinets. And you wanted the backsplash to add warmth, which I think those others do better. I could like either style, but keep imagining the 1x3 bricks in your space.

• muscat
    14 years ago

The scabos "matches" the natural alder better, but I MUCH prefer the falling water earth slate. The pattern is more interesting, and I think it'll do a great job of picking up some of the rich dark color of your stained island to tie the two together. I really like the variation in tile size and color. It is interesting without being busy, and rustic but elegant.

• shapco
    14 years ago

I love the Falling Water. I think it would add color rather than just blending into the background, which the Scobos would do.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Here's a little something that' a mix of the two (kinda) It's Java Sticks from Northeastern Tile:
    {{!gwi}}
    or this from MLW Stone. Kinda like the Falling Water which I love but the colors on the one shown don't seem quite right:
    This is Travertine Brushed Brick:
    {{!gwi}}

• alicia58801
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone, for weighing in with your opinions. I am definitely not good at this sort of thing, and have a horrible time picturing how it will all look in the end. It's nice to have other expert advice!

Initially, I was very excited about the travertine. The sample I have is nice, but I am definitely concerned that it might blend in too much with the cabinets and not give that 'wow factor' that I'm hoping for.

I've always been drawn to slate, but as rhome said, I really want the kitchen to have a warm and friendly feeling. I tried to balance the warmth of all of the woods with the coolness of the dark grey Basalt Slate countertops. I guess it would be nice if the backsplash could bring everything together.

Slate usually reads very cool to me. However, I really like the visual interest of the Falling Water pattern, and it seems to have some warm colors. I'm waiting on a sample of the 'Earth' color pictured above, and this one, called 'Prairie'.

{{!gwi}}

Remodelfa, how do you always find the coolest tiles? :) I really like those Java Sticks and the irregular edges. It also has the warmth I'm looking for. Another possibility added to the mix!

So now, how in the world do I choose?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Still like the Earth best. The lighter ones have the same problem as the travertine...Too much like the cabinet color. That would make the counter look heavier.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Now that I look back at the ones I posted I think they are a little too peachy/pink. I kinda like these from Sonoma the Stone series. They come in 1x2 brick joint in addition to a bunch of other sizes. The first is Tanzu Slate and the second Red Sea:

OK.. I see them together before I submit and I think I prefer the Tanzu.

• shannoncaden
    12 years ago

I know this post is 2 years old but just came across it today because I too am interested in putting the slate falling water (earth) in my kitchen but the sample I found had glass(silk) inserts in it. just curious if you ever read this could you post a pic of what your kitchen ended up looking like? I dont know how to post a pic or else i would show you the sample i found.

• janiev
    12 years ago

Hi Shannoncaden. I have been considering the fallin waters with the glass also. Here is a link of it I love! It is a little lighter than the one you are looking at, but you get the general idea. Also, she took out some of the clear/white glass pieces and replaced with dark amber.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/newelljo/Kitchen/