Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Why didn't I think of this? Duh. Can't wait to try it.

deedles
9 years ago

How cool is this? I wonder if it works... a sharp knife would be a must. Somebody try this and report back.

Here is a link that might be useful: easy way to cut cherry tomatoes

Comments (18)

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

Awesome!

• brightm
    9 years ago

And tomatoes that aren't the least bit squishy.

• leela4
    9 years ago

(somewhat) off topic:
    Deedles-How's your kitchen going? Did I miss your reveal?

Signed,
    (nosy) Lee

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Will it work as well for to-may-tos as to-mah-tos?

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Very cool technique!

However.......

If you cut a cherry tomato in half you don't get the fun of eating them and having them pop in your mouth! That's no fun.

Those two extra plates to wash.....

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

LIke cutting bagel.
    So may people try to slice the bagel in half holding it horizontally in their hand. Off go the finger tips!

If you begin by cutting it in half vertically, so you have two, 'c' shaped pieces, set it on the counter with the open part of the 'c' which is now flat. Then cut down through the bagel and you have your four pieces you can easily eat without looking like a bagel pig.

There are all kinds of DUH things out there, aren't there?!
    I thought this tomato thing was a good idea, too. I'm trying to figure out what else could be done this way....

• athomesewing
    9 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

• dwsharp81
    9 years ago

Most genius things are simple. This is one of them. Very cool!

• scootermom
    9 years ago

That looks like so much fun! Have to try it.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Just another thing that makes me say, "That is so simple! Why couldn't I think of that myself?" Great tip.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Where I live bagels are cut in thirds. Vertically. No issues.

• tea4all
    9 years ago

Great tip that I will put to use! Thanks for posting that!

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have to get some cherry toms and try this.

leela4: NO, I haven't posted my reveal. We're so dang busy trying to get our old house emptied out and ready to sell that I keep putting it off and off. I'm gonna post it soon though. Thanks for asking! I'm afraid by the time it gets posted nobody on here will remember me, lol.

• leela4
    9 years ago

I love cherry (or any kind of) tomatoes.

deedles-I'm glad all is well with you and your kitchen. Can't wait to see it.

• carolssis
    9 years ago

WOW! Way cool. And I'm looking at a bowl of them right now. My friend has a cherry tomato plant that has gone crazy with output and she shares with me. I'm a happy camper now! thanks!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I watched the garlic peeling one too and that was pretty cool. I'll have to try that. Then of course I then watched the perfect boiled egg video but I have to dispute that one. I use a double boiler to make boiled eggs. I don't immerse them in the boiling water at all. I put them in the top of the double boiler, cover and let them steam. Then instead of wasting lots of water running it over the eggs, I drain off the hot water and cover with cold tap water and then put lots of ice cubes in and let sit for a few minutes then peel and they peel like a dream. Simply roll the egg and then peel off the shell in nearly one whole piece. Those are fun videos to watch and very helpful, too. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try that with the cherry tomatoes. I love those and also the grape tomatoes but I guess you couldn't use that method for those since they are oval. Wah...

• deedles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I gave it a try and I think it works but I don't seem to have the right plates. Mine are too deep and I pretty much sliced the top third off most of the tomatoes. Gotta dig out some other plates and try again.

I never heard of doing boiled eggs in a double boiler. Like a steamer basket or an actual double boiler pan?

• nancyj
    9 years ago

Oh, that is really cool! I'm waiting for DH to get home so I can show him the video since he's the cook in the family.