Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
transitional_gw

Slate Slab Kitchen Counters

transitional
13 years ago

Does anyone have Slate Slab Kitchen Counters? Has anyone even heard of it? Does it hold up well in kitchens or is it meant for baths, office, etc? I saw it on the site below and it looks beautiful! I was decided on granite but now I'm 2nd guessing myself...

Here is a link that might be useful: American Slate website

Comments (37)

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, now I'm getting excited!!! Check out this article...

Here is a link that might be useful: thekitchendesigner.org

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I hope you get some replies on this as I have been on a quest for gray non-shiny countertops and couldnÂt find a lot on slate when I was looking. I did read that Vermont slate is a good countertop but thatÂs as far as I got.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

In the finished kit blog, I think it is Janedibber that has slate counters in her beautiful kit.

• gillylily
    13 years ago

I don't have slate countertops in my kitchen, but I can tell you I have an entire bathroom with Slate (floors, tub surround, and walk in shower with bench). I LOVE IT... As long as you seal it every 4-6 months, (might be more frequent for countertops) the staining and stuff should not be an issue- with the shower, I was told not to use any animal products- only natural shampoos and soaps so as not to "stain" the slate.. But i LOVE IT! I say go for it if you love it!

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

My local granite/tile store has a kitchen display with a gorgeous green Vermont slate countertop. I drool over it every time I go in there. When I asked about the price, I was told that it was more expensive than their most expensive granites. Yikes!

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I contacted the granite company I've been dealing with and they do have access to slate! And it's only $6 to $8 more than the level 1 granite. I don't know if we'll make it to the yard this week but I will definitely upload pics when we go. I still have to convince my DH that the price difference is worth it. Any experiences with slate as a kitchen counter would be greatly appreciated :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tampa Slate Yard

• basil92008
    13 years ago

Those are awesome! I love honed dark counters, but I worry about the softness of soapstone. I look forward to seeing what you find!

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Tell us what you learn about maintenance.

• pps7
    13 years ago

What a timely post. I just went to look at remnants for a laundry room and am seriously considering slate. The pieces I saw were uneven. Not sure it really matters for a laundry room. But I'm also curious as to the durability and maintenance. It wouldn't take as much punishment as a kitchen coutner top.

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone actually have slate counters?

• cheri127
    13 years ago

My neighbor had slate in her last kitchen and loved it so much, she installed it again in her new one when she moved. It was beautiful and required no maintenance. She has three kids and doesn't baby it at all.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I wish I would have saved the site that I now can not find. However, I remember reading something about the hardiness of slate used as a countertop and how some slates from some other areas in the world were too soft or required much maintenance. I read that slate from Vermont was pretty hardy and made a great countertop. At the time I got discouraged against it because the impression I had was that unless I was lucky enough to come across Vermont slate I would have to settle for something softer than the softest soapstone. Since there does not seems to be a lot of info though IÂm not sure if any of what I read is factual. Slate countertop mystery!

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for any info you have! It's impossible to find any!

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

There have indeed been threads on this in the past, some with fabulous pictures. Slate is not as uncommon up here in the far Northeast as elsewhere; it's pretty stable as a sealed slab (as opposed to tiles) and looks gorgeous.

Care for Slate vs Granite

Experience with Vermont Slate

How well does slate do as a countertop?

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the threads circuspeanut! I can never find anything when I do searches. Is there something you do diffrently?

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Hey check out this cool slate table with marble inlay on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLATE-w-MARBLE-INLAY-TOP-BRONZE-COFFEE-TABLE-MOD-EAMES-/170506975263?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item27b301f81f

This would make a cool backsplash in the right kitchen.

• advertguy2
    13 years ago

It's been used a few times on the show Holmes on Homes. One episode is called Bar None where it was used for a bar. The other one I can't remember the name of, but it was one of the earlier seasons and the write up on the episode talks about the contractor leaving a bottle of varsol or something on the counter and the homeowners kid drank it accidentally. ANyways, they use (used) Acme Slate in Toronto which carries brazillian slate slabs. I'll be using them most likely when I do my kitchen in an few years. Sealing is done with vegetable oil (as shown on the Bar None episode). I got samples from Acme Slate sent to me a few years ago and it's amazing stuff.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Use google with your term + gardenweb! It's a much better search engine than the pathetic one on this forum. :-/

• User
    13 years ago

transitional-

I have real Vermont/NY slate on either side of my range, so it's not the whole counter area (we also have wood and stainless), but is in an area that gets a lot of use. It's a beautiful matte finish counter with a velvety feel and it's absolutely maintenance free. There is no sealing required of Vermont/NY slate, just slap it in and start using it; it will not stain, burn or etch, we routinely set hot pans and dishes on it with no problem, I've spilled oil, vinegar, wine, coffee, etc., on and it simply does not stain. I've even gotten paint on it, and the paint dries on the slate and comes right off with a fingernail or a razor blade, no mark at all.

The one thing slate will do is scratch, not badly, not deep and not a different color (slate is the same color throughout), but it does develop a patina of small, light scratches, especially if you are hard on stuff (which I freely admit we are). The scratches are not glaring, but they are there. If you are looking for a countertop material will look brand new indefinitely, slate is not for you. If you're looking for a natural stone mined in this country (for me it's in our state) that is impervious to stains, requires no maintenance, offers a matte finish (with, I have to say, a downright sensual, velvety hand) and comes in deep tones, then slate might be for you.

Ours is the mottled purple and green version, with flecks of white and gray. I don't have a pic of the surface itself, but will take one tonight and post it, here is a pic of the set up, tho the counter is hard to see.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to see more pics. And what a funky, charming kitchen! Too cute!

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

I've seen dark gray slate counters in VA which, more than likely, came from Buckingham Slate (in Buckingham VA); they've quarried there for decades. I have several slabs used as fireplace hearths & I love them. If I could've used a dark stone for countertop, it would have been a hard choice between slate & soapstone.

• User
    13 years ago

transitional-

Here are a few close ups of the slate, the colors are washed out, IRL it's more purple than it reads. The last two pics are close ups, and you can see the scratches.

If you Google Vermont slate or NY slate you will get stoneyards with some good info on the product.

Good luck-

sandyponder

Extreme close up

Extreme close up with flash

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Sandy, that is some pretty slate! Is it true you can lightly sand out scratches or remove them with steelwool?

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

That's just awesome!

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just beautiful! I didn't know there could be veining in it like that. My slate tile is like that but all the countertops i've seen don't appear to have any variance in them. I can't wait to go to the stone yard next week and check it out! Does anyone know if it's imperative to get VT or NY slate? I live in FL? Do I need to research where they get it from? Are some areas no-nos?

• janedibber
    13 years ago

Sorry, but I don't lurk as often as I used to. We installed a green slate ctop purchased from Camara Slate in VT. They don't do kitchen ctops any longer but I bet they'd be willing to sell a slab or two (just a guess). Had a large farmer's sink fabricated as well. Slate taken from the NE area (VT down to VA) is very non-porous and requires little to no maintenance. No sealers, no oiling. Pots go from oven to ctop. It can chip, like soapstone, but we haven't noticed many going on 5 years now. We really like the slate and would purchase again.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if VY/NY slate is less or more expensive then say, something like mid to upper priced soapstone from Teixeira? I know it depends a lot on my area but just wanted a ballpark comparison.

• pps7
    13 years ago

Looks like we are going to use slate for our basement bar. It might not be vermont/ny but I think it's okay for a basement bar that won't be used much. It's beautiful!!! They are getting new slabs that are little bit thicker(1") next week. All of this depends on the price of course but my fabricater assures me that slate is not very expensive.

• ashebooks
    13 years ago

Have you considered 'honed' granite?

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally made it to the slate yard! We are leaning towards the 'black' honed slate that has a greenish hue with rusty spots through it. But we're wondering how the seems will look on the island which is 72" X 63". Would the Spicey Black Honed granite look good with the slate on the perimeter?

'Black' Honed Slate

Rusty Slate

Spicey Black Honed Granite

Seaweed Green Polished Granite

Our Kitchen thus far...

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'd rather do the slate with the seaweed if you are looking for 2 different materials.

• saltlakecityct
    13 years ago

Let me share you this. They have beautiful Counter top designs! Salt Lake City Countertops From European Marble and Granite. If you are looking for first-class service, you have come to the right place! They seem to be friendly and helpful.Any questions you may have.Your design, style and needs come first. Whether you're looking for countertops, tile, mosaics, glass, fabrication or installation we are here to serve you! Try calling them: 801-554-7486

Here is a link that might be useful: Salt Lake City Countertops

• transitional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So my fabricator got back to me and the slate comes in at $500 more than either of the granites (spicey black honed or seaweed green polished). I can't believe I'm thinking this but the seaweed green is actually in the running. I thought I would be totally countertop obsessed with the slate, but now I am torn. Any more suggestions?

• davidro1
    13 years ago

i know someone who called it "slate" when it was hard soapstone / steatite, and he got away with it.

• VirginiaCabinetry
    11 years ago

Best countertop material you could EVER select. I used Buckingham Slate from Virginia. Deep honed charcoal grey

{{!gwi}}

• VirginiaCabinetry
    11 years ago

one more photo of the wine bar - again Buckingham Slate top