Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bichonlover_gw

RTA cabinets

bichonlover
11 years ago

Does anyone have experience with RTA cabinets (Scherr's, Barkers, etc)? I'm considering replacing cabinets in a rental home we own (it's a beautiful home with old cabinets). I need to update the kitchen and want nice cabinets at affordable prices. Any advantages/disadvantages to using RTA cabinets? What about quality vs Kraftmaid, etc.

Thanks to any and all!

Comments (11)

• deedles
    11 years ago

There are several threads on here about RTA cabs. If you use a search engine type "scherrs gardenweb" or whatever maker +gardenweb. You should be able to find lots of info and pics already posted.

I did get and estimate from Scherr's and found them to be very helpful thus far. Haven't decided which way we're going for cabs yet, though.

Good luck!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I did get all my cabs from Scherr's. I had a really good experience, and I think the cabs look great. Excellent workmanship and detail. It is not a lot cheaper than pre-assembled cabs, but they are fully custom.

• bichonlover
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the input! Even though it's a rental property, I want something quality that will last through renters being not so gentle with them. I like Barker Cabs website. EASY to use and understand. I guess I'll order the sample cabinet and check out the quality.

• bosdiyer
    11 years ago

I bought RTA cabinets for my son's kitchen remodel from domaincabinetsdirect.com. It was a first RTA / online experience and I can recommend the company quite highly. The trucking company trashed the pallet and Domain came through and replaced nearly the entire order without making us wait for the insurance company to settle. Just make sure you take lots of photos of the delivery and each piece as you unpack it. If you call them, ask for Michael. He's a good designer, not just a salesperson. I think they get $50 to do an accurate layout for you. Like most of the RTA units they are made in China. Hope this helps

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I don't think Barkers is made inChina..listen to their video on the web page-so that's the question-are the components coming in from China? I venture there are some RTA that are not sourcing from China...why does one think most RTA comes from China?? Just because of lower pricing? Or has someone searched this and knows for a fact...

• gregincal
    11 years ago

I'll just point out that the two statements:

Most RTA cabinets are made in China

and

Some RTA manufactures are not sourcing from China

are not mutually contradictory and probably both statements are true. The general rule would be that if it doesn't specifically say it was manufactured in the US, assume it comes from China.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

I don't know about other RTA cabinets, but Barker cabinets are made in the US as are the parts. Not sure about the screws though.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Scherr's is made in Minot, ND. I actually visited the factory and can attest to this!

• krabbypatty
    11 years ago

We used Conestoga RTA cabinets (made in PA) from Cabinetmaker's Choice (Google it)). The cabinets are beautiful and VERY well made. Customer service from Chad was great. You do need to be handy to do this assembly, and it was a lot of work, but worth it for the quality we got and money we saved. We got a 13 x 20 kitchen full of cherry cabinets, lots of drawers, crown molding, all plywood construction, full extension Blum glides, etc., etc., for just under $9,000.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

ikea carcasses[akurum] are made in USA/ blum hardware for Ikea is made in Austria/ door/drawer fronts come from China/Asia/Europe...various locations depending on market and selection.

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

Just a warning, Scherr's has a great reputation but be prepared to wait until November if you order now. I tried to order last month and was told late October (granted, it was a very large job, about 120 boxes).