Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_ryan4352043

rave for leathered jet mist!

Kitchen_ Reno
9 years ago

since my counter decision was the MOST PAINFUL of my entire kitchen/dining renovnation, I wanted to come back and post about what we finally decided on and my thoughts on it.

backstory:
I thought I wanted the white/gray look that I always admire in other kitchens. I looked at all sorts of super white, supreme white, wicked white, calacutta macaubas (?)....all those versions...without luck. One granite yard swore up and down that theirs was quartzite and would not etch. It did. At first, I considered just dealing with etching but I knew it wasn't a good idea for me/my personality/our family. I didn't want to have to worry when we had company over about what other people were putting on the counter, or when the kids were home with a sitter. Luckily, dh talked me out of even considering it. So, back to the drawing board. We had cabinets installed for about 6 weeks at this point, and I still could not decide what to do. We first started looking at soapstone, but I wasnt' finding a slab I loved, and wasn't confident in my fabricator's ability to use that (they don't work with it often). They'd already done the templating (b/c we THOUGHT we were going with a wicked white slab) and the thought of starting over finding a new fabricator was just too much for me to deal with. Someone recommended leathered jet mist. We saw a slab (already reserved for someone else) and LOVED it. Waited a week for a new shipment, went to see what was available and really weren't crazy about the new slabs. They seemed very plain, not much white movement. But, at this point, the counter search had gone on way too long. We pulled the trigger and counters were installed less than a week later.

that was about 6 weeks ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. The look is so different from what I thought I wanted, but now I can't imagine having light counters in our space. We have a very casual "homey" colonial home and the jet mist just seems perfect for it. I was so happy with our decision to not "risk" etching with another product 2 nights ago when my 9 year old helped me make the lemon vinagrette for our dinner salad. Lemon juice everywhere? No problem!

Of course everyone's style is different and my opinion is just one, but for anyone on the fence, I really have to say that leathered jet mist is beautiful :-)

(disclaimer: only had them about 6 weeks, so can't speak to longevity - but so far, no issues)

This post was edited by kitchen-reno on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 10:03

Comments (29)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

No pictures? Come on, not after that tease :)

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

Do I remember correctly that you're in the northeast? did you end up at Gerrity?

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sorry, I know I need pictures! Here are a couple from install day. I hoped to get better ones now that my hardware and backsplash are in, but these will have to do fo now :-)

This post was edited by kitchen-reno on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 9:46

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, we are in MA. We did not end up using Gerrity. We actually had used them for a previous renovation and really liked them, but our contractor had a working relationship with another place and we decided to go with them.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

Seconding the request for pictures!
    Edit - nevermind, you posted them! I love your kitchen, very classic. I will probably end up with something similar if DH allows :)

This post was edited by tracie.erin on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 11:02

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

pretty pretty

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Love it. Can you show more pictures...up close. Looks like dark soapstone which I love but am afraid to get. Gorgeous.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

LOVE it! Nice looking kitchen, too!

• kbb100
    9 years ago

kitchen reno - thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments! I am stuck in countertop heck. I am leaning towards jet mist but it's not at all the look I had in mind originally. So it's really great for me to hear how happy you are. Your kitchen looks great! Thanks again.

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kbb100 - it's not at all the look I had in mind either. I was super worried about switching b/c I was afraid going against "my vision" would be something I'd regret. But now? I can't imagine what the light counters would look like. I really think I wouldn't have been happy with them! (not b/c they're not nice, but they just don't "fit" me, you know?)

I am a worrier by nature - I second guess everything (kitchen related - layout, cabinets, hardware, to name a few!), but I love my counters!

• CTN30
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing. I've just decided on honed jet mist myself (had been waffling between this and soapstone), and you have just the look I'm going for.

• flwrs_n_co
    9 years ago

Love your jet mist! Definitely a great option if one is considering soapstone. Did you seal your granite? Just wondering . . . thanks!

PS Can't wait to see your official reveal and read all the details--your kitchen is lovely!

• User
    9 years ago

Love it! It has the Jet Mist fairy dust sprinkled ever so slightly on it that is just so lovely. Congratulations on a great countertop and kitchen.

• polkadotz
    9 years ago

How do you like the leathered finish? Does it show crumbs, waterspots, etc? Your kitchen looks really lovely! Nice job!

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Oh wow. Those counters look really fabulous.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It's beautiful!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

The counters and entire kitchen are beautiful! The counters look a lot like soapstone.

I've been looking at jet mist in my area as a soapstone alternative and the ones I've seen don't have the veining look that yours does.

Congrats!

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no water spots, oil spots or anything negative to speak of yet! My kids cook/bake with me and we're always messy.

The slab we got seemed very quiet but there are a few spots with white that we positioned in key areas during templating so it didn't look too "boring". I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I'll try to take more pictures tomorrow of the rest of the kitchen now that we're done. Still deciding on furniture, window treatments, rugs, etc. but the main kitchen-y stuff is all done, finally.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I love it too!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Looks great. The contrast adds interest to your kitchen, and the marble tiles will work nicely with everything else :) . I love the leathered look. The main reason we went with light counters is that the space itself is dark-ish...otherwise I think dark counters are a great look.

• cam349
    9 years ago

They look great! I was going with soapstone and had a slab I loved, but the stone yard ruined it during fabrication (they cut the cooktop hole where the sink went). They didn't have anymore dark soapstone so we looked at other options. We now view what happened as a lucky break because we ended up choosing honed jet mist and I love love love it! In retrospect I think the soapstone patina would have driven my husband batty. The honed jet mist still looks perfectly smooth (like soapstone) but the polish has been removed. The only problem we've encountered is the feet of appliances leaving marks. They do fade in a week or two, but to avoid getting them I just put the bread-maker etc. on a dishtowel or cutting board when in use.

• amycash
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Do you mind sharing which fabricator you used in the Boston area? We are considering leathering a slab of White Macaubas Quartzite, but our fabricator says that the edges will need to be mitered/built up in order to get the leathered finish on the edges as well. This adds a lot of cost. It looks like your countertops are not mitered/built up. Is there another solution to getting the leathered finish on the edges? Or perhaps your fabricator is the only one who can do that in the area? Thanks!!!

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amycash - our slab was already leathered when we saw it at the warehouse (Boston Granite Exchange - in Haverhill) so the fabricator did not need to do anything additional!

• Jancy
    9 years ago

Kitchen Reno your counters are beautul. I went light quartzite (small condo kitchen) but if I were to have gone dark I would love yours.

Amy-I just had my quartzite installed (not leathered) and fabricated by Select Stone in Billerica. I was everywhere from Westwood to Haverhill. Pati was extremely helpful and knowledgable. You could give her a call and ask her. Tell her Janice referred her. They did a great job and I am so picky - she'll vouch for that! I plan on using them again for other projects. They really were a pleasure to work with. Best of luck

• cam349
    9 years ago

Anycash - I had my fabricator hone a piece of the White Macaubas as we put that on our island. The honed piece did stand up ok to stain testing (it did stain some), but the polished was bulletproof. I stuck with the polished. And it looks great with the honed jet mist :)

• mallorygins
    9 years ago

I loved reading this post but no pictures showed up =( What a bummer, would love to see the kitchens. I too am looking for a soapstone look without the water rings/oil spots. I was told that hones granite shows water rings easier and that concerned me.

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

No pictures???

• pcookie
    8 years ago

YES! we want to see the pictures.