Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schicksal_gw

Accessories - Garbage Disposal and Instant Hot

schicksal
9 years ago

I'm looking for help with two details for our kitchen. The first is a garbage disposal. I'd like one that's quiet, and that I can place a button on the countertop to operate instead of a wall switch. I'm quite unfamiliar with these - whatever I've had in the past is whatever the builder put in.

The other thing is an instant hot tap. Suggestions for which ones are good (and come in chrome) would be great. I plan on mounting this on the countertop and assume they plug into a regular outlet underneath the sink somewhere?

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (7)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Any disposal that uses a switch can use the counter button (called an air switch) The air switch is sold separately. Insinkerator sells one that works just fine, but if you have a high end faucet with a fancy finish, you might want to get the one that matches their finish.

The Insinkerator Evolution series is the quietest disposal Ive come across. I had a service guy tell me to turn it on when it was already running.

My instant hot is a Little Gourmet by Mountain Plumbing Supply. Iread about them here at least 8 years ago. The spout worked with my faucet and I've been happy with it. They come in chrome -- look nice, work nice. Found this photo on Amazon

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

We also have the Insinkerator Evolution and agree it's very quiet.

• schicksal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok cool, it looks like an air switch is a pretty common mod for these things so I might be able to buy it all at once.

We're going with a Grohe Minta faucet (chrome, very clean lines) so the chrome button should work for us.

Do all instant hot taps require a heating tank? The ones I've seen are pretty small so I guess there probably wouldn't be much trouble fitting one in the cabinet. I like how the air switch controllers add the extra outlet that I would need so I don't need to do any extra electrical work.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I also have an Insinkerator Evolution. It works great. Much more powerful than my old Insinkerator model. I think this one is 1hp.

I went the matchy and easiest route. I bought a Waterstone faucets and bought my faucet, air switch, insta hot faucet and hot water tank from Waterstone too. (They actually sent me a instahot/cold filtration faucet by mistake rather than just the instahot and said just to keep it, so we got an extra bonus since someone can get cold batter when someone else is using the primary faucet. They sell their faucets in "suites" so you can match everything. Expensive, but very nice.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Another vote for Insinkerator Evolution. Put one in about 8 months ago. Love it.

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

We just installed an Insinkerator (Evolution?), too. It is amazingly quiet. I actually have a hard time hearing it with the water running. It has a reverse which will come in handy if something happens to get stuck down there.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

I also put in the little gourmet a few years back. The original one died so I bought a new one right away. Love that thing, use it multiple times every day.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH