Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
who loves their porcelain 'wood' floor tile?

Posted by newskilz (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 9:40

We are redoing our kitchen and would like to use the PWT (porcelain wood tiles) I have seen amazing looking things now where the PWT really look real. My questions are since the price varies greatly $2-$16 sq ft besides the visual what should I look for in quality or a brand. Many of these tiles are European And I am just not sure.
I think I would be going for something in a darker brown or I could even do a weathered ash. The kitchen filters into the dinning room & living room. We will be redoing those hardwood floors and I would like to keep them to a similar shade as the kitchen.

What brand did you use and do you love it? SHOW PICTURES PLEASE.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: who loves their porcelain 'wood' floor tile?

I don't have them, but I was just looking at them at Daltile. Do you currently have hardwood in the kitchen or tile? Reason I ask is that while the LOOK is still there, the tile will be much harder underfoot than wood. I'm actually looking forward to removing my tile and replacing it with cork, bamboo or hardwood to give my feet, legs and back a break. And I'm not some old fuddy duddy in bad shape either. I run about 15-20 miles/week--I can do that and be fine. Put me in my kitchen for more than 1 hour and I'm in pain. Go figure!

o

Ours are Daltile and when we got them retailed for about $7.50 sq.ft. for material. LOVE the floor. Cleans great...looks great...and if I don't get to washing on any given day...you'd never know. All I've ever known is tile so I don't have the hard/hurt back/knees issue. We couldn't use wood in our situation. We didn't get the floor with the idea of fooling people into thinking its wood. We got it because we love the tile itself.

o

I love ours.. ABK Woodway. I grew up and am in the tile business so thats all i've ever known also. Such a breeze to maintain and clean. It's bulletbroof for our messy tendencies.

I really need to take some updated (read: clean) pictures. I've posted these pics a zillion times, but here you go:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

THANKS to everyone who responded.
We have linoleum sheeting in the kitchen now. The rest of the downstairs is wood and upstairs is carpet. I am not sure how tough it will be on our bodies but it is something to think about it. Yet another decision. UGH

twn85 - thanks for those pics. saw those the other day and loved the floor and your kitchen cabinets too. Who's are those? We are doing everything at it is really overwhelming.

o

I have porcelain wood grain tiles installed in my kitchen last year, and I love them! Best design decision that my contractor came up with. They are maintenance wise so easy. It looks wonderful with my dark cabinetry with a creme colored island...

If you send me an email at H720505@hotmail.com, I can send you a link to my photos...I cant figure out how to do it here...just email me instead.

Thanks

o

We would love to use the porcelain wood tiles but they dont come in the right color for us. We need either a natural maple with a hint of color or beechwood.

Please let me know if you come across anything this color.

o

Thanks newskilz... the cabs are ikea. we did everything ourselves. It's been a crazy journey and it's still a work in progress. I definitely would do it again though. The savings and piece of mind have really been worth while.

I just noticed that I did not answer your questions. A lot of things will affect the price. Origin, material, aesthetics (quality in color, variation, technology used to produce it, edges- rectified or natural, length, etc) Depending on your location you can really get a great quality italian, spanish, or domestic porcelain in the 3-10$ range. 16 is a bit excessive in my opinion. Sometimes you pay more for the name brand than the quality.

I used a rectified, colored body tile in my house, but you can easily get a great looking non rectified, glazed porcelain for less. Installation costs on rectified tiles is usually higher.

Loves2cook4six... there are so many on the market.. I'm sure there is something in the color range that you are looking for.

o

Porcelanosa has an extensive line of wood-look tiles. The colors
run the gamut from very light to very dark, and everything in
between.

FYI, the tiles are rectified, needing very little grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelanosa wood-look tiles

o

Twn85, I love your tiles! Now I'm seriously reconsidering putting down "the real thing".

o

I really love my wood look planks. They are 6 x 24 and the color is a brown/grey. Just a hint of rustic. I get so many compliments on them and they have been wearing great! doesn't show dirt and i am not a slave to mopping or sweeping.
I got them local for just over $3 a sf, a great deal! They were on a board that had the brand name "Mirage"Name of tile was "Woodstock" Color was "Castagno".
When I received the box the brand name was Energie Ker.

From Upstairs and Basement bathrooms

o

I Just purchased ABK wWodwway Rovere. I love the way these tiles look what was the installation method? and what size spacers should be used?

o

I love these tiles. Since you already have wood in other areas how do you plan to integrate the colors? I plan wood for my first floor and probably will do tile in the kitchen. My concern is how they will look next to each other? I'd love to know what you decide!

o

Bee has some in her bathroom I believe.. search for Beekeeperswife to see pics in her old bathroom posts. I have some in my bathroom as well. Ours looks very much like weathered silvered driftwood and we paid around $5/sq.ft. The prices vary very widely for the exact same porcelain tiles. Our preferred kitchen and family room tiles were quoted at $12 and I got them on ebay for $2. A distributor had excess inventory in Arizona and he shipped to me in CA.. delivered in my driveway for free. So definitely shop around.

Dust in 12x24 - http://www.refin-ceramic-tiles.com/wp-content/themes/thesis_16/custom/images/ceramics/minimali/zoom/WOOD2-DUST-30X60.jpg
Tobacco in 12x24 - http://www.refin-ceramic-tiles.com/wp-content/themes/thesis_16/custom/images/ceramics/minimali/zoom/WOOD2-TOBACCO-30X60.jpg

o

We have this in the mud room and fire room/dog room. Both rooms are adjacent to rooms with oak flooring. The dark floor has been an amazing choice, we are so pleased with the warmth it adds.

o

Srhythm76, the Wood Way Noce is what I have in my kitchen/living area. I laid it in quarters, with 1/16th spacers. What ever you do, do NOT do half and half a la subway style. It is a beautiful tile and I'm sure you will love it! Let me know if you need any more information, I can send you closer pictures of my install or forward you specs from ABK.

o

Srhythm76, the Wood Way Noce is what I have in my kitchen/living area. I laid it in quarters, with 1/16th spacers. What ever you do, do NOT do half and half a la subway style. It is a beautiful tile and I'm sure you will love it! Let me know if you need any more information, I can send you closer pictures of my install or forward you specs from ABK.

o

I have it in my bath. My installer laid it like hardwood completely random...it looks awesome and I love it. Because it is a mastervbath with minimal shoe traffic I didn't go for anything super expensive, it was about 3.50/ft from Floor and Decor.

o

I'm strongly leaning towards Marco Corona Easywood, Love the manufacturers installed photos and can't really beat the price.

o

I have wood look tiles by Spanish tile ($4 per square foot, but probably difficult to find). I love them. They are textured to mimic a wood grain.

Photobucket

I also considered Florida tiles, but they were more expensive, about $7 per square foot in my area.

o

I really like yours, twn85. Thanks for sharing! What grout color did you use?

o

@ Loves to cook -
We don't have them yet, but i love the Vallelunga Tabula line. They are gorgeous and a store around Philly priced them at $7.50 per square foot. I have beech in two floors in my house and also love maple. These tiles have that clean, smooth look and really look like wood. In fact, i brought a sample home and my neighbor said "i thought you were doing porcelain - this is wood". Check out the "bianco" and miele". These colors (especially miele) resemble beech and maple. Here's a link:
http://www.vallelungacer.it/en/floor-tiles_TABULA_84.php

Just download the brochure for all the colors.

o

I used Tec Coffee to grout, In the above photo it's super dusty. It really blends in seamlessly now that its clean

o

We have wood look tile in our small bathroom and I love it. We got it at Floor & Decor for $4.25 a square foot, though I can't remember the brand name off hand.
Photobucket

o

This listing has been helpful for me.....we were planning on doing wood floors but now.....hmm...maybe the "wood" tile. Thanks everybody.

o
spider-phobe needs a light color wood look tile

Anyone have pictures of a light colored wood look tile installation?

One that is light enough so that a Wolf spider on the tile would be obvious?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

o

We removed out newly stained oak floors(parquet look didn't go with new kitchen) and installed Ariostea porcelain tile floors(color Rovere Impero. We were looking for a rustic reclaimed look and we think we nailed it. We love the durability and we can go a couple of days between sweeping cause it hides dust/dirt so well. The pieces were 6" x 48" in size and we went with a 1/16" grout line. The price was a lot more than hardwood floor.

o

One more image....sorry I could not get the image to post properly.

o

Twn85, I love your tiles! They really look real!

Slappy07, I the light color wood tiles that look so real! What color grout did you use?

Gmp3, your tiles look so much like real wood! I love it!

I love everyone else's tiles that posted or gave links that I appreciate as I am seriously thinking this is what I am going to use downstairs as I had a flood and now my new BR-111 engineered Brazilian Cherry floors are ruined!

o

Oh, I wish I had found this thread sooner! :-(

My tile has just been installed. My tile guy did not want to do a random pattern for some reason and I was too sick that day to argue with him. I wish I could show him these pix...

Oh, well, they look good anyway. And what a transformation from the stained concrete we had before, with color not matching anything in the room and cracks all over!

o

Is there an ideal form-factor for wood look tiles (length x width) that makes them look more realistic than otherwise?

o
Gmp3, What is the name of the tile color you chose & the grout?

Gmp3, What is the name of the tile color you chose & the grout? I did a search for the name of your tiles and found one I love in the pictures called Anticho Maple Porcelain Plank.

o
Melissaki5-RE: who loves their porcelain 'wood' floor tile?

Melissaki5, I just looked at your wood tile floors again and they really look real and are pretty. Can you look up the color for us when you have time?

o

SLAPPY07, We are installing an 8"x36" tile next week and my installer mentioned using a 1/8" grout joint. I'm wanting something smaller like 1/16" you've used because it looks more realistic. However I've been warned about the "lippage" factor and wondered if you notice a difference in the tiles when walking barefoot, like can you feel the side/lip of each tile?

o

Twizlstick, The tile that we chose is rectified and has a lot of texture. I believe because of the texture, the "lippage" factor is not noticeable. Hope this helps.

o

SLAPPY07, thanks this does help. My tile is also rectified but is mostly very smooth for easier cleaning. I think staying with a 1/8" joint will be better for me. The manufacturer recommends 3/16" but I think that's too large. I've read some people using a 3/32", which is between the 1/16 and 1/8, though I haven't asked my installer about it. Has anyone used that before?
When we talked yesterday about the pattern to use, he wants to offset each row every 9" or 12", which to me is too stairstep-y and would look like a fake wood floor (using 8"x36" tile). I'm going to push him for a random layout to replicate a real wood floor, and he'll be receiving a link to the picture you posted. Thanks!

o

Serso mahogany color from lowes. I put it in the dining room probaly would have put it in the kitchen if I knew about it before hand I think there great. Oh and its a 1/16 grout

This post was edited by madsic on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 10:13

o

Serso mahogany color from lowes. I put it in the dining room probaly would have put it in the kitchen if I knew about it before hand I think there great.

o

madsic: I'm about to do my house in the Serso Mahogony from Lowes and am having trouble picking out a grout. What color grout did you use?

o

I used a espresso color grout but I think any dark color would be fine

o

I'm considering the wood "tile" as well. These posts have been very helpful. Here is my inspiration photo
 photo woodtile_zps086d807f.jpg

o

There is such a thing as "lippage" when tiles aren't totally flat. The edges can be raised just a tiny bit and depending on how much of a rustic look you want, you may or may not want this. I think "rectified" is a description for tiles that have flat edges that helps avoid lippage but check me on this. There are numerous kinds of ratings - here's a list of different "PEI" ratings which I think may be helpful - I didn't know these when we were shopping for our tile. http://lawtonfloordesign.com/cerfaqs.html#rating This is also where the color of the tile is the same all the way through, I think these are described as "full body" which means if they are chipped, color will be the same.

The rating for strong color/shade variations is the most important IMO since that was what caused the most problems for us. Rating info here at: HERE

Our background details regarding our wood-plank porcelain tile that may or may not be helpful to you (sorry this is so long):

I loved our wood-porcelain tiles more before the cabinets went in then after. Here's the full impact before cabinets: Note the strong pattern of striations.

Here's our floor as it was being put in before grouting:
http://www.houstonbookclubs.org/kitchen2/herringBoneFloor.jpg

Because it is a herringbone pattern (which I love), it became the "star of the show" in the kitchen, hence I have had to be very careful (which I don't love) adding anything else such as backspash or countertop that have a strong pattern. Also, the herringbone style is more traditional than I realized. Probably a good thing with our house but our kitchen is Ikea (in progress) so a traditional floor with modern contemporary cabs that had a strong striation pattern as well (see Sofieunder cabinets) didn't work as originally planned. Not so much fun. We had to swap out contemporary base cabinets at an extra cost for more traditional with the Lidingo style.
Here is the mismatch as shown after large window installed. I didn't check the "full light" conditions before deciding on the tile. I took a sample of my cabinet front to the tile store and it looked okay but didn't do well in the REAL kitchen lighting conditions. see Here So take more than one tile home to check with your cabinets and check during several different times of day.

We're still in progress so don't have the pictures of what I'v done to fix this problem i.e. the Lidingo replacement, but I like the herringbone very much with the new change so far.

Couldn't find the tile brand we selected but the price was $3.19 / sq ft and we bought it at http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com but I couldn't find it there now. It is great but if I had it to do overagain, I would bought one that I didn't "LOVE" so much, allowing me more choices with cabinets/countertop and backsplash. (We also chose a color tone that was close to adjacent hardwood which is nice but I'm not so sure it is as important to have this match as it is to have something that isn't going to be yet another focal point - that is our experience anyway.

I'm very glad to have gone with wood-plank. We had pine floors from previous owner. We had them sanded and polyurethaned several times - still looked pretty bad after a short time. Since we aren't good with mainenance, the wood-look porcelain is the absolute best. If I get back trouble, we can always put down a runner rug which I'm thinking of doing anyway in the main part where I do the most walking.

o

Madsic, I am in love with your Serso Mahogony tile wood floors! I love the color. I must pick up a sample at Lowes or buy a piece to see if this would be good for me as due to so many problems with one crisis after another, I still have not removed my damaged engineered wood floors and instead temporary put area rugs everywhere so my little dog will not have another large vet bill by getting her food stuck in the pieces of wood that separated.

o

I like mine, but I don't love them. Nothing looks like real hardwood BUT the wood effect tile is very practical if you have kids and dogs. For example a nail polish bottle fell on the floor and smashed a few days ago. I was able to wipe it off with some acetone no problem. Real hardwood would have been ruined!

Here is mine.
 photo zDSC_4491.jpg

o

lliN - Looks great in your kitchen! Can you tell us the brand and color?

o

I just had the Serso Mahogany tile from lowes laid and I thought I picked a dark enough color grout..bot was I wrong...I picked Mocha and it is stark white...I'm at a loss in what to do, it's a large room and thought about adding a grout colorant but tried a simple in a conspicuous area and not sure it will be durable, looks to much like painted grout...I also did a coffee stain area and it looks so much more blended but not sure that is something a professional would recommend using. I will check I to the espresso color or dark chocolate.

o

My grout color is fairly good for my porcelain plank tile but only "fairly". It doesn't detract too much from the overall look but this is my second round with porcelain plank tile. And in both cases, my final conclusion is that I wish I would have gone darker with the grout. (FYI - Used Pro Fusion the second time around - it is a fairly new type of grout and supposed to be VERY easy to keep clean.)
I don't have any suggestions to solve your problem about grout being too light. But wanted to post here for others to hear my advice which is to go a LOT darker than you think you should when picking your grout color for porcelain plank tile. The colors of my tile were taupe (rustic gray) and oak (tan tinted brown) in case that might make a difference.

o

TO: JLFields: Regarding your grout color....your contractor most likely mixed the grout incorrectly resulting in whitish looking grout. We had a similar experience. We bought dark brown grout and it turned out concrete color. Look up "efflorescence" to find out what happened. We have 970 square feet of the wrong color grout which we are stuck with.
~Sea~

o

We are building a new home, and have settled on a porcelain wood-look tile to do the entire house, except for, perhaps bathrooms. We have found one we like at Floor And Decor, called, "Old Navy Bianco". The PEI rating is 5, which is the best possible rating and even approved for light commercial use. The entire house is in very light tones, so this is pale gray, but a beautiful wood-look. It measure 6" X 40". Our problem seems to be that our builder says that we'll never get the floor (slab-we live in Florida) to be level enough to not have what he calls "toe-catchers". At Floor and Decor, they swear that they lay this floor all the time, and there are no problems. We took the information back to our builder and he says we're just looking for trouble. I'm still wanting this tile. He keeps leading me to a size of 6" X 24", saying that it's "more forgiving"--won't have "toe catchers" and the job will be perfect. Three questions: Have you any experience with laying tile of this size on a slab? What is the "random" look for laying the floor to get a natural wood-look? Any better sources available to get this or a similar look/quality for a better price?

o

Can't speak to the toe catchers, but I don't think the issue is that you're laying it on a slab. The real issue is that with long tiles it's hard to keep them completely flat as they are often manufactured with lippage. You achieve the random look by not laying them like tile (offset). You lay a course, make your cut, then use your cut piece, whatever the length, to start your new course. If you somehow have a geometric oddity (40" tile in a 120" space) you start with a cut that will keep things irregular, so instead of using 3@40" tiles, you'd start with a 9" piece and go from there.

In my experience you want as tight a space as possible between tiles, and a grout color identical to or slightly darker than the tile color.

Good luck!

o

DianaHag,
Good quality tiles will be pretty level. Your builder is telling you that he (or tile installer) doesn't have the skill/ability to lay this type of tile. It can be done, but they don't know how or are too lazy to do a job that requires attention to detail. Can you hire your own tile installer?

We did about 1600 sq,ft of wood-look tile in our guest house. We used 8" x 40" and 8" x 24" laid in a random pattern. No lippage. It was slow and steady work with several string level lines set up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cerdomus Tile, Barrique Collection

o

I realize this may come across negative but I find it interesting that with this new trend of wood look planks that there was only 1 person that posted concerns for the uncomfortable hardness that tile has and not one person mentioned the coldness on the feet nor the breaking of dinnerware.

When I was doing research on tiles in general, I read an earfull of negative comments about tile. Does having the latest trend somehow just dissolve these issues?

o

It doesn't dissolve the issue. It just a matter of what your preferences and tolerance are. Don't drop dinnerware problem solved. Wear slippers or socks or put a area rug down like I did. I found the problems miniscule really.

o

I love tile that looks like wood and if I lived in an area that was warm most of the year, I would have this in all of my house. But since I live on the cold Northern Eastern Coat (very coat in the winter time) and in a townhouse, I needed to do tile in my kitchen (or wood.... but mostly everyone in my townhouse is doing big tiles) and wood everywhere else as that is what is selling in order for me to think of resale as well as enjoyment.

I LOVE lliN's Shiloh Inset cabinets in her kitchen with the gorgeous wood tile floors! If I did not buy the tile for my kitchen, maybe I would also see if this color would look good in my house and go with my home office color.s

After seeing Madsic's Serso mahogany color from Lowes wood tile floors, I think if I did not buy the tile for my kitchen, I would be tempted to do this floor everywhere and not think of resale as I love the color and it would go with my cherry desk in my home office.

o

llin, did you use a grey colored grout?

o

aloha2009,
People choose different flooring for many different reasons, taking into account their pros and cons. I am in CA now, so the cold factor is not an issue. I would have used all hardwood in my house, but part is on a slab, so tile made more sense for that area, but most of the living/sleeping spaces are real wood.

The guest house was all done in tile, although I could have used wood floors in part of the space. My choice was based on how the space was going to be used. The guest house is used more as a "man cave", with teen boys. I did not want to have to worry about the flooring at all, so the wood-look tiles were the best material for that space.

o

"I realize this may come across negative but I find it interesting that with this new trend of wood look planks that there was only 1 person that posted concerns for the uncomfortable hardness that tile has and not one person mentioned the coldness on the feet nor the breaking of dinnerware.

When I was doing research on tiles in general, I read an earfull of negative comments about tile. Does having the latest trend somehow just dissolve these issues?"

While the "wood-look" might be a trend, tile is not ... it has been around for a long time. There are lots of threads on GW that discuss the issues you refer to. IMO, the benefits of tile outweigh the negatives. I wouldn't use it for every room of the house, but prefer it in my kitchen and baths. The "hardness" of the tile has never been an issue for me, and in warm climates, the coldness is actually a benefit.

o

Aloha2009, you should also consider that the original post didn't ask about wood vs tile. The OP has already decided they are using tile and we assume they've researched the pros and cons. The question was about the type/style of tile and the replies have done a good job of staying on topic!

o

Slappy07, where did you buy the Ariostea porcelain tile floors(color Rovere Impero)? Also, what grout color did you use? Your floors look beautiful and that particular product would be perfect for my floor!

o

Do any of you porcelain wood tile lovers have actual hardwood floors in the rest of the home? We have all hardwood in our entire home except bathroom and laundry room right now (including kitchen) and building a new home we might consider using a product like this for our kitchen (would be easier to clean up messes and steam mop). However the rest of our home will definitely again be all hardwood and so not sure how you would transition from kitchen to other floors and not look mis-match.

Hope that is not off-topic, just hoping some of you with these type floors might post pictures of adjoining spaces as well. thank you.

o

We have hardwood flowers throughout the entire lower level of my home but did porcelain "wood" tiles in the kitchen. They are light gray so matching wasnt an issue. The kitchen floors are signum by coem. We love them . Not a great pic but you get idea of contrast

o

Do they just line up or is there a "transition" piece in there?

o

There is a stainless trim at end of kitchen tile. Originally plan was to add a wood transition piece (matching hardwoods) but we kind of like it as is so may just leave it

o

@alison0707, your kitchen is absolutely GORGEOUS! I must have those floors, I absolutely love them. Is the color you chose Larice Sbiancato or Rovere Grigio?
Thanks.

o

Thanks! They are the Larice. Were definitely a splurge but we love them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here