Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feedback on materials

Posted by n123 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 9:37

Hi,

I don't have all the samples yet but we are roughly thinking about this for materials:
Floor: Natural maple
Island counter: End grain walnut butcher block
Island seating: Stainless steel
Surround counters: Stainless steel
Kitchen cabinets: Ribbon Sapele

For the shelving around the fridge, we were considering using a matching walnut to the island but that would be edge grain.

Do we have too many woods? We are trying for a contemporary look.

Thanks for any advice!

This post was edited by n123 on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 9:42

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feedback on materials

The three or four wood types seem busy to me. Have you modled with a tile floor and solid surface counter top?

I can see the walnut island and shelves, but the grain on the wood floor would too much.

o

We really wanted dark wood cabinets but, like you, the floor just looked too busy with them.

o

Restrained exhuberance is the guiding design philosophy in most modern kitchens. Minimize the number of materials, and use them well, and in innovative ways.

I'd prefer to see the island in some COLOR rather than more wood. Maybe even do a "color block" type look where the cabinets and counter are the same. Then pick one wood that contrasts with the maple and stick with it for the rest of the wood.

See how the orange really brings this kitchen to life. The strand woven bamboo floors work with the dark wood and orange. If you're doing a natural rustic maple with lots of mineral streaks, you could get something like this look with darker stained cabinets.

And the green in this really works well too. The light maple floors and strongly directional nature of the graining in the cabinets also echoes some of your choices. You'll note that the upper cabinets are virtually identical in tone to the flooring, thus minimizing sensory overload.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here