Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

New (but Vintage looking) Glass Storage Jars

allison0704
14 years ago

I had originally posted this in Decorating, but since we've had threads on storage containers in the past and these would be great in the kitchen, I thought I should share here too.

I found these gorgeous vintage looking storage jars made with recycled glass.

{{!gwi}}

I ended up ordering five of them - various sizes. I'm going to use two in the laundry room for dog treats, one for large match boxes and another in a bathroom for extra soaps. Bought an extra just because.

Coupon Code 540 for 20% off, plus Free shipping! Less than I can purchase locally. There is a short video and you can see the size compared to a person. Love the dog in the video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage looking Glass Storage Jar with Metal lid

Comments (17)

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

I caved...I got five, too. Hope we love um! I also ordered a pillow. Anybody out there ever ordered from this company before? I will admit, the videos with the owner and the dogs are really cute.....but then my name IS pupwhipped.

Thanks Allison.....I'm sure my hubby won't be thanking you, though, HA!

pup

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

great. something else for me to buy. THANKS allison!

...and remember you said you'd post more pics of your hidden TV mounted with the drawer slides? would you mind? pretty please? ok, if you're too busy i guess i can survive...

• latimore
    14 years ago

Anchor Hocking makes lots of great vintage looking storage jars. They do not cost anywhere near $49 each!

I saw very similar jars to these at Pier One recently for about $8. The Anchor Hocking Heritage Hill jars and the cracker jars are at Wal-Mart for about $5. Target.com has a pretty good selection of them as well for about $10-15 depending on size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anchor Hocking

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aw, pupwhipped, tell DH you'll get a ton of use out of them and they'll be less than pennies a day!

KK, no fussing allowed! lol I'll post a picture of the slides for you but not the entire cover. They are in the process of marketing, etc the idea and I promised them awhile back I would not post/share how to info or pictures. I'll do it in the BAH forum, where it belongs.

Latimore, the Anchor Hocking Hill jars really do not compare to the Hudson Goods jar in looks...or even function to me. I currently have at least ten of the cracker jars and a dozen of the square ones w/silver lift off lids in my pantry and they are great....but the ones from Hudson Goods look vintage. They have the metal lids and are made of recycled glass. The glass even has tiny air bubbles in it (like seeded glass). They are going out on my laundry room counter next to a vintage candy jar - the kind that sits down on its side, with a hinged metal lid.

I also like the lift off top on the Hudson Goods jars. I don't want to unscrew a lid every time I need to reach in for a dog treat. I also can't see using any of the Anchor Hocking jars in a bathroom either. I buy accessories at antique stores, when traveling or use older family things. So these are perfect. They are worth the price to me and even better at 20%.

• mandylee
    14 years ago

Nice to look at, but unfortunately out of my price range! Thanks for the info. on the Target ones, which will probably have to do...I'd love to get the others -- I just can't!

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Allison, thks for the tip! Didn't buy five but did buy three :-) Your home has such great style and flair, so I'm glad to get a hint on one of your finds.

Eliz

• mercurygirl
    14 years ago

Thanks for the discount code, Allison. I got a large handblown looking jug for the top of my armoire for FAR less than the antique wine jug I was considering!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're welcome, Eliz and MGirl. I can't wait to get mine. They were shipped quickly, so should be here soon.

I'm always drawn to the handblown jugs, MGirl, but have never bought one.

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

Yeah, I got an email today saying mine have been shipped...that's pretty fast. Allison, I think you and I had the same take on these as opposed to others. They are green tinted glass with bubbles in them.....and then the tops are quite vintage looking. I hope they work out as I do like this site and will check in now and again to see what they have available if it ends up that this purchase is a good one for me. But, I will say, without the 20% discount, I probably would have passed.

pup

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What are you going to use them for, pup?

• slc2053
    14 years ago

I do like these; however, are the colored lids available on each or does the small one have the dark green only, the medium army green, and the large the mustard? I went on their website and added one to the cart and it didn't give me a choice on lid color so do I assume there's no choice?

Thanks!

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Just got an email from Hudson - they don't ship to Canada :-(

It was a very nice and apologetic note but I still wonder why I was able to go through the whole checkout without being "stopped". Note to other Canadians who may like these jars as much as I did!

Eliz

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

Allsion, obviously with a name like pupwhipped I'm gonna use one for dog treats. HA! Another I think I might use in the laundry room for detergent...although just yesterday I ordered the red metal detergent container from Ballard's Designs so may have to rethink that one. My "new" old lake place was built in 1952. It has original pine floors and pine paneling in some rooms. I'm just always on the lookout for vintage things. The smallest one I hope to use in a bedroom that we remodeled with beadboard painted green. I'll come up with something to store in it. The pillow I ordered was of the Labrador in the speed boat. Been loving that pillow for awhile...I have two black "hair shedding!" Labs.

Slc2053, I'm assuming, too, that the lids shown with each size is the way they come. It will be somewhat surprising if they vary...we'll see.

bye,
    pup

• slc2053
    14 years ago

Just got off the phone with Karl Miller, owner of Hudson Goods (seller of the above jars and the one in the video.)

Anyway, he said the lid colors are not optional, so the mustard lid is only available with the large jar, the army green only with the medium jar, etc.

He did say that with the discussion of these jars on gardenweb that he is about sold out!

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

Slc2053, thanks for the info. Looks like Allison has turned into the "Oprah Affect" for Hudson Goods. hehehehe!!!

Looking forward to receiving mine.

pup

• allison0704
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*snicker* Well, I am the Shopping Editor on AtticMag and my friends always call me when they are on the hunt for their latest quest! LOL

I was coming back to post on their arrival. Very well packed. No breakage. 5 jars = 3 medium boxes, lots of bubble wrap and eco-friendly peanuts (to be reused sending DD1 and DS packages (I just ran out of "free" packing material last week so this will all come in handy for their birthdays.) They are very well made. Thick glass. Thick metal lids. The biggest one is much larger than anticipated, but useable:

Large 9" diameter, 12 1/4" tall. 6 1/4" opening (HUGE!!)

Medium 8" diameter, 11 1/4" tall. 5 1/4" opening

(wish there was a size between these two)

Small 6 1/2" diameter, 9 1/2" tall. 4 1/2" opening.

The yellow and green lids I received are not as dark/bright as in the photo, imo, which is fine with me. The large one would make a great laundry powder holder - great idea! Too bad I have front loaders. :( Not sure what I will put in it, but it's on top of the armoire in lower level den. Maybe large pinecones.

I've used a small one for Wellness Wellbar dog treats in the laundry room and another for hotel soaps from traveling the globe in main level guest bath.

A middle size jar is holding numerous large boxes of matches DD1 sent me from (the now closed) Shabby Chic store in San Francisco. (We're still not over them closing, but she's already found a new job so Mama's happy.) Not sure what I'll do with the other middle size one.

I would LOVE to have some of these (in the small size) and a tad larger that sealed well to use in my pantry. I would gladly buy 2 dozen for flour, rice, grits, pretzels, walnuts, etc. Love them. (How about it, Karl?!)

Eliz, sorry they don't ship to Canada! Bummer.

Pup, we have a black lab (plus three other dogs) and live on a lake too. Cute pillow.

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

Ditto what Allison said. I will add that mine got to me lickety split fast. Very, very well packed with no problems. The only thing is that they were bigger then what I expected...usually it's the other way around and things end up smaller them you expect. As Allison said, that largest one is a big sucker. I'm very pleased with them, though, and I'm still playing around with how I'll use them. And my Lab in the speedboat pillow is adorable!

pup