Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cam349

Soapstone: drainboard, built in sink???

cam349
11 years ago

Does anyone have these? Do you love it or them or wish you had passed on these option?

Comments (7)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I am not sure what you are asking about, exactly. Do you mean soapstone counters and sink?

I don't have that, but this is what I do have, namely, soapstone counters with runnels and an undermount stainless steel sink. I love it!

• prospect711
    11 years ago

Like this?

• gwynnie8
    11 years ago

What do you like about the runnels? Since our dishwasher is going to be right next to the sink, I doubt I will have a dish drainer out ever. I do like the look though - DH hates them. Also, even though we ordered the regular (30") farm sink in soapstone, I am starting to think about switching to the pitched front. Any pros or cons on that?

• jscout
    11 years ago

I have runnels similar to Angie and I love them. I do have a DW underneath. Where it comes in handy is for draining larger items than can't be washed in the DW, especially stock pots. I've also used it to place fruits and veggies on after washing to drain, when I didn't have a colander large enough or handy. Since it's level with the rest of the counter, nothing rolled into the sink. It's definitely not just decorative.

• nanjeanne
    11 years ago

We just did our kitchen and we have soapstone counters and a soapstone undermount sink.

We like having the runnels. Like jscout, I put washed fruit and vegetables on it if I'm just washing a few carrots or something. We also don't put everything in the dishwasher, s it comes in really handy - when we have a drink and use one of our glasses that we prefer hand washing - we use the runnels to drain. Also, since we don't run our dishwasher every night, when I'm cooking, if I'm using a spatula or small food processor that I might need again, it's easy to wash and put on runnels to drain. Ours work well. Sure some water doesn't run to the sink - but much does. And it's easy to clean. I hate big drainboards that are hard to store. I don't like them sitting out and they are difficult to clean.

Our kitchen has a vintage look to it - so the runnels fit right in. We love them.

• oldhousegal
    11 years ago

I love my runnels! And, if I had to do this again, I would not hesitate to get runnels again with my soapstone.

I have them over the dishwasher, and use them for veggies and fruits to drain, when sprouting grains, and for larger items that don't fit in the dishwasher. I've discovered that I'm more likely to put items away quicker if they are sitting on the runnels. When people see the kitchen, they think it's a cool idea- many have never heard of them, as I hadn't before GW!

I also have a stone sink, although mine has marble sides with a soapstone bottom. It's a custom look, that I love. I recently dropped a glass into the sink, and it broke. That is the first item I've broken anything in this sink. I love everything about the soapstone in my sink, and it was gently sloped to aid in draining. With the total kitchen remodel, my sink and runnels are my favorite things.