Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pheebers_gw

30' sink base, is a D or rectangular sink better?

pheebers
14 years ago

We're redoing our kitchen completely -- keeping the fridge and dishwasher, but the walls are down to studs and everything else is new. Due to space, design, budget, etc, our sink base cabinet is 30", which means we're really limited in what we can put in.

We're going with granite, so it will be an undermount sink, and a Grohe Ladylux Plus faucet/soap dispenser. I was pretty sure up to today that I was going to want a D shaped bowl, but now I've awoken in a panic that it will just be too small.

My choices are either a rectangular bowl with interior dimensions of 23x18x9, or a D shaped bowl with interior dimensions of 24x21x9.

With a D shaped bowl, I assume the faucet & dispenser would go on either side, and I'm wondering if I would love that or find it annoying.... with a rectangular bowl & the faucet centered, I'm wondering if it would seem cramped around the faucet, and be more annoying to clean.

I appreciate all input and help! I'm a relatively new lurker and have found these forums invaluable with this project so far.

Comments (15)

• positano
    14 years ago

I had the same issue as you , although my sink base was a 27 inch. I purchased a D shape and when I really thought about the faucet off to the side(my sink is under a window) it really started to worry me. I went with my gut and returned the D and got a rectangular with the same dimensions of the one your considering. So happy I went thru the hassle to return it and spend a little more money. I love the way it looks.

Love my sink and sink grid. Here is a link. I got it for $280 from Faucet Direct.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kindred sink

• positano
    14 years ago

I was wrong, my sink is a little bit bigger than the one you are considering. I wanted to maximize my space, by going 25x19x10.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

If you search around here, buehl has photos showing how much fits in her D shaped sink--it's enormous. (She has a double bowl, but the large bowl is the same size as the single you're thinking about.)

Just out of curiosity, which rectangular sink were you considering?

I think either would work, myself. I'd go with the one that appeals to you more in looks, although I do think the D is probably more efficient in terms of what will fit in it.

• positano
    14 years ago

ah, just measured my inside dimensions and it is the same as yours. 23 x18. Sorry....I'm losing it today!

I can fit so much in my sink! Cookie sheets and pans fit no problem and it's so deep I can hide a lot.

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I have a big D shaped Ticor sink in a 24" base (it overlaps the base top edge slightly so we trimmed that edge down so the granite would sit flush). The faucet is over to the left side and I really like it! I can sit large pots on the counter and swivel the faucet over to fill the pot. It's very convenient!

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I think Buehl's sink D-shaped sink mentioned above, is for a 33" or 36" base cab. I hope Buehl will chime in, but I am certain it is not in a 30" cab like the OP's. In MHO, a rectangular sink is better for a smaller cabinet. The rectangle is a more efficient use of space since it doesn't have the curved corners of the "D" which diminishes the interior space of the sink.

BTW, I am assuming you are talking about a single-bowl sink? Perhaps you could give us the brand and model # of the sink you are considering, and people can give you even better advice once we have that info. There could be alternatives out there for you. I would advise the OP to take a pan that you use often with you to the store and see how it fits in the sinks you are considering.

If you are talking about stainless steel sinks, a lot of people on this Forum like the Ticor sinks available from Galaxy Tool Supply. They are a lot of bang for the buck. They also have a store on eBay where you can "Make an Offer" and save even more money. If you are not sure about what material you want your sink to be, I would suggest you look at Silgranit. The Silgranit rectangular bowls are very popular on this forum, and many of their models have a nice feature--an offset drain, meaning the drain is not in the center of the sink but toward the back. That allows you to set pans down without covering the drain, which is a nice convenience.

HTH. We await further info from you!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>I hope Buehl will chime in, but I am certain it is not in a 30" cab like the OP's.

No, but hers is the double with one big and one small bowl. The single ticor is the same size as her big bowl, so it's relevant.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I too have the Grohe Ladylux Plus that the OP is considering. I love it! I have it centered on my rectangular sink. I love the reach, the pull-out style, and the looks. There is no problem whatsoever cleaning around the Ladylux's faucet. However, I do have a good amount of room behind my sink for the single-handle to turn. I know that people have installed the Grohe Ladylux with the handle facing front instead of to the side when they do not have a lot of room behind their sink.

P.S. Writersblock - just wondering why you think the D-shape is a more efficient in what will fit in it than the rectangle. It is more commonly thought to be the opposite due to the curved corners at the top of the "D" that cut into the interior space of the sink.

• kiminne
    14 years ago

I just had a meeting with my fabricator and KD. We decided upon the swanstone 2215 SingleBowl Sink to place in my 29" sink base. www.swanstone.com/index.php?prod=115 I loved the offset look that will give me a touch more room under the window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swanstone Undermount Sink

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>P.S. Writersblock - just wondering why you think the D-shape is a more efficient in what will fit in it than the rectangle. It is more commonly thought to be the opposite due to the curved corners at the top of the "D" that cut into the interior space of the sink.

I myself prefer a rectangular sink on purely aesthetic grounds, but I've heard from many people that they find it easier to fit pot handles and such in the D because of the slightly greater depth at the widest point of the arc.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>they actually have it mounted at 90 degrees (with the handle facing the user) and it doesn't look too odd.

Actually, I think a lot of people with plenty of space have begun doing this, because then you don't drip on the countertop when you reach for the handle with wet hands, so I wouldn't feel weird about that.

Those are both really pretty sinks.

• pheebers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Writersblock, I didn't think of the dripping, but that makes sense! I suppose the 90 degree thing is something you get used to very quickly.

Thanks -- all of the input is really helpful.

• lexluthor
    14 years ago

I have a 24x24 D sink in my corner sink base and yes it is slightly annoying to drip on the counter when I reach for the handle. Interesting idea about rotating it to have the handle over the sink. I suppose I could always re-position the faucet if I wanted to.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I'm here! WritersBlock is correct...my Ticor sink (S405D) is a double bowl w/the large bowl close to the same width as Pheebers's.

My sink's actual dimensions are:
    * Overall Dimensions: 35-1/8" x 20-7/8" [Fits in a 36" sink base]
    * Interior of Large Bowl: 21-3/8" x 18-3/4" x 9"
    * Interior of Small Bowl: 10-1/2" x 15-7/8" x 7"

Pheebers's sink's dimensions are:
    * Overall Dimensions: 23-11/16" x 21"
    * Interior of Bowl: 21-7/16" x 13-15/16" x 9"

As you can see, the width of my sink's large bowl is the same (~21-1/2"), but it's approx 4-3/4" deeper than Pheebers's (as in distance from front-to-back). That could make a difference.

If your sink base is 30" wide, then you should be able to fit any sink up to 29" wide (overall). The depth is an issue, but the majority of sinks out there are designed for a standard 24" deep sink base, so most should fit. The issue you have to be aware of, of course, is what's behind your sink. Since you have a window w/a sill, then you've just reduced your working depth by the depth of the sill. But, if you put your faucet on the side like in the Houzer picture, you've made that space in the back close to a non-issue b/c you've just "added back" a couple of inches or more.

Have you considered a Ticor sink from Galaxy Tool Supply? They have a "D" sink with interior bowl dimensions of 21" x 19" very close to same the size as my sink's large bowl (see link below). Mount the faucet on the side and I think you'll be fine. (BTW...Ticor sinks are not only reasonably priced, but they also come with the strainer and a custom-fit sink grid...all included in the price. Oh, and GTS also has eBay store and several people have gotten the same sinks on their eBay store for up to 50% off the price the state on their regular site.)

Here are a couple of pics of the large bowl of mine "in action":

With my largest cookie sheet (19" x 12"):

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor S405 single-bowl sink