Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawa_gw

Any colourful kitchens out there (or moderately colourful)....

pawa
11 years ago

...or even slightly colourful?

anybody out there?...out there...out there (i hear an echo in the room)

I know there are a few on this board - maybe 5? (Angie_DIY, Annie D., 2littlefishes, lavender lass...that's actually all I can think of.)

here's one of my faves, (sandyponder):

Surely not everybody wants grey/beige/brown/white?

I understand and agree with the arguments for neutrals, but sometimes, the house seems to scream, "I want colour!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandyponder's colourful kitchen

Comments (51)

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Although I'm a gray/white/brown/black person, I really love that kitchen and would be very happy there, as long as it's functional and there's enough counter space and storage. And natural light, that's key.

That chair in the front, with its back to us, is just like my chairs. Old, don't love it, but can't seem to figure a way to replace it.

• Maine_Mare
    11 years ago

My cabinets are painted beadboard, BM Georgian Brick. The walls are white but I didn't want them to compete with the cabinets.

I love color and will paint the pantry and adjoining dining room California Georgian Yellow (funny coincidence that I seem to like the paints with 'georgian' in the name).

• honorbiltkit
    11 years ago

My slightly over-exposed solution to acknowledging that the cabinets flanking the windows have much more elegant proportions than the other four glazed uppers. It also turned out that the funky vibe is better suited to the house than a stark black and white kitchen would have.

Last Sunday, the house -- cleaned up from this photo but still unfurnished and unoccupied -- was on the annual house tour for my community. It was included because I have good before photos of the entire house and my contractor was around to explain what he did.

All the punters either loved the turquoise cabinets or were politely appalled. The former predominated.

• pawa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, honor! I guess I'm one of the people who likes the turquoise! Yes, it does make the kitchen look funky and fabulous (and younger than plain white).

maine_mare: I googled your kitchen. It looks great (so far). Have you painted anything yet?

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I love the turquoise with white!!! It adds a fun vibe, to a yet elegant kitchen!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I love sandyponder's kitchen!

there's also the Spain kitchen - forget the poster's name tho. great tile colors in it.

• sas95
    11 years ago

Our kitchen is predominantly green, with a colorful backsplash.

My almost finished kitchen thread

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Have you ever seen Redrange's kitchen? (linked below)

Is mine colorful enough? Not like Sandyponder's, but Fir, cream, gray, burgundy...

Or Pabiabi's black, yellow, red?

And Lascatx has a very blue wall of tall cabinets in her otherwise white and cherry kitchen. I found a link to this pic in another thread, so I hope she doesn't mind me sharing:

Here is a link that might be useful: Redrange's colorful kitchen in the FKB

• melissastar
    11 years ago

Mine is colorful too...some pics of the still unfinished kitchen (but it's finally getting done, this month...YAY!)

The main working kitchen area.
    The back "scullery" area.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Mama Goose has a lot of green on her kitchen cabinets...and those cool countertops. And, I love her hood, which started out in life as something completely different! :)

• pawa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, these are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

I found Mama Goose's Web site. Her kitchen is so creative and cute!

Rhome - I forgot about your kitchen, but I'd say it's definitely colourful!

• deedles
    11 years ago

YES!!! I GET TO POST CLOWN VOMIT AGAIN!

Now, this isn't my kitchen but at one point I was finding inspiration from it and it kinda did the lead balloon thing with some folks on here, lol. Actually it was a hilarious thread but I digress... here ya go:

I've since moved on from this to a more recent inspiration pic that is a little less, uh, whatever...

I still love those red counter tops, though.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

I'm not sure my kitchen counts as 'colorful' since most of my finishes are neutral, but I did bring color into the backsplash.

• raenjapan
    11 years ago

LOVE the turquoise cabs.

We have cranberry lowers:

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

LL, thanks for the mention!

pawa, thank you. Did you notice my Kitchen color inspiration album? Mostly vintage style, glass cabinets, but lots of color.

And I've had this one bookmarked from Flickr: The Sweatpea Cafe
    It has colorful accessories in a B&W kitchen--scroll for more pics.

deedles, I love that 'salvage' kitchen from HGTV/RMS.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Here's another colorful one I've saved (don't remember the source, sorry about the size):

• cawaps
    11 years ago

My kitchen is still a work in progress. I gave up on a real remodel, but with the help of some commercial stainless work tables it is approaching functional. If I ever get a rangehood and the range swapped out for the OKM in the garage, I will post something like "finished pics."

In the meantime, here is my chartreuse work-in-progress kitchen.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I remembered this green and white kitchen from a little while back:

Here is a link that might be useful: Green and white Julia_K kitchen

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Yes, lots of blue and white here!

• BalTra
    11 years ago

pawa - so glad you posted this!
    Mama Goose, I love your collection of inspiration pics. LOVELY!
    cawaps - your space looks really cool and sleek

Here are a couple of the colorful ones I have saved from other threads on this forum:

From Ideas

From Ideas

unfitted ikea:
    From Ideas

this is what can be done with laminate

From Ideas

my OTK:

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Boston Kitchen And Bath Divine Kitchens LLC

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by CustomMade

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Dc Metro Design-build CARNEMARK

[Eclectic Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Philadelphia General Contractor Kenny Grono

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Here is mine:

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Cawaps- That looks like my mom's kitchen wall color! It's so cheerful and bright, even on the coldest winter day :)

BalTra- I've always liked your OTK kitchen...it would look wonderful, in your space!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Not sure if others will agree but I think my kitchen is moderately colorful. At leat there is no grey, white or beige in it. You can't tell from the picture but my granite has lots of blue/green color in it as well as some gold. The backsplash tile has shades of blue/green in it as well. My kitchen sitting area and dining area pick up on the colors in the granite. I also have some colorful bird plates hanging in the kitchen. Here are a couple of photos

• bahacca
    11 years ago

badgergal-you stole my mom's bird plate collection!!!! Seriously-same exact set!
    WIsh i had a pic of my mom's kitchen. She had custom tiles made with green, yellow and red chile peppers. She lives in Arizona.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Gosh, I was thinking of offering up plllog's kitchen as an exemplar -- only to find that I was the first person you named!! :-)

I honestly didn't think that this would put me in the upper echelon of GW colorful kitchens!

• 1929Spanish
    11 years ago

I just posted mine - green cabinets, redish tile floor - but toned down with white counters (Corian Rain Cloud) and backsplash.

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

@ desertsteph: you're probably thinking of my kitchen?

I guess I fall in the (very) moderately colourful category with the BM Simply White cabinets, terracotta floor, grey speckled granite, oak worktop on the island and a multi-coloured glass liner in the white subway backsplash.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Gosh, I can't believe nobody has remembered redrange's colorful kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: redrange's colorful kitchen

• pawa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deedles, re: clown vomit - That's so harsh! ;-) It's not THAT bad is it? (Well, ok. I don't really like ANY of the colours...Each one is a little off. Maybe leave the counters and cabinetry and do everything else neutral?)

Here's a successful red counter, imo, from the big Chill web site:

Funny that redrange's kitchen also uses 3 primary colours, but looks awesome.

Petra - I definitely consider your kitchen to be colourful. Even though it's just a thin line of colour, it really stands out and makes your kitchen cheery!

I can't comment on everyone's kitchen because it would take me forever, but they are all warm and charming.

• alvmusick
    11 years ago

We went with sage-y/slate green in the kitchen to blend with the other colors in our dining room and hallway.

• hlove
    11 years ago

Here's mine (yellow cabs, green shelves, cream walls):

Adjoining breakfast room (peachy-pink walls):

• susiemw
    11 years ago

I'm so happy to see the white kitchen with tourquoise cabinets as that's the look I'm going for. No pics to post as the dry wall is just going up now. LOVE those tourquose cabinets!!

• honeychurch
    11 years ago

Mine is cream, dark sage, and gray blue. We have a copper swirl backsplash and our floor tile is also green/blue.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Does anyone remember the kitchen that was posted last fall, I think, with the turquoise hutch? There was a lot of turquoise and, I think, spring green in the kitchen, and an eating area around the corner near a door, and she staged it with orange and coral accents of fruit and flowers. It was adorable and really well done. I've tried searching for it but I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

• Bon22
    11 years ago

here's a picture of one end of my kitchen! This is the before kitchen!!!!!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

yes petra, it was your kitchen! I remembered that your forum name started with a 'p' but that's all I remembered of it. At that time my mind just kept going to 'plllg' and I knew it wasn't her kitchen (tho she has color in her's also).

yours might not be 'in your face' color but it sure does bring color into the picture - and shows how it can then be picked up in accessories. You did a beautiful job of it!

• ideagirl2
    11 years ago

Ayerg73, where did you get your green backsplash tile? I really like it!

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

gsciencechick - LOVE THE FRIDGE!

I thought of plllog's and cloudswift's kitchens first. And lavender's bunny tiles!

bon22 - are you afraid your Van Gogh is going to be sedate compared with the riot of color you had before? You look totally fun!

We have a zany slab

that will be divided into an island and a backsplash, but I am totally scared about any other colors or patterns in the room! I felt like I was going out on the edge by going for natural cherry cabs instead of painted white cabs. I'm jealous of people who are confident about mixing colors!

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

ideagirl2 - Thanks! It's from Fireclay tile. It's their debris line - color is Kelp. :)

• Bon22
    11 years ago

drbeanie2000.. yes, I LOVE color (I am surprised you noticed! lol) !!!! which is why I fell in love with my Van Gogh! (being fabricated as we speak!)
    did you catch my backsplash I am working on?

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

1929Spanish just posted my new OTK! And since s/he didn't post the link and photo earlier, I feel I must: ;)

Thank you so much for this thread! I've gotten all sorts of inspiration (for another kitchen someday) and seen fun kitchens I somehow missed otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1929's New Kitchen

• BalTra
    11 years ago

Bon22!
    There is a whole lotta fun in that house! The little peek of the flowery wallpaper in the background . . . more please!

• pawa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bon22 - From the teeny bit I can see, your backsplash looks really cool. Please post updates of your progress if you can.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Bon22, your picture reminded me of Diane Keaton's kitchen:

• Bon22
    11 years ago

thanks!!
    mama goose.. here's my quote...
    (don't mind the messy fridge side!) lol

• Bon22
    11 years ago

Baltra thanks! I LOVE color!! Here's a pic I found (part of the livingroom anyway). Wall paper is only on the 1 wall.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Bon22 - FUN BACKSPLASH! The rest of your house looks so neat too. What area of the country are you in? A lot of times I associate bright colors/patterns with deserts or the Southwest or something, but the glimpse outside your window looks like regular suburbia.

• Bon22
    11 years ago

drbeanie - thanks! we live on Long Island, NY.. yes, suburbia :)

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Back in the mid-nineties, there was a kitchen in a library book that I was in love with. It had purple open shelves/bookcase. Purple is not a color I see in many, or any, kitchens. If I still lived by that library I'd try to hunt it down and see if almost 20 years later, and still kitchenless!, I still like it.

Here are two kitchens that I've saved because of their colors.

Been a long time since I posted pictures. Fingers crossed.

• susiemw
    11 years ago

Bon22,

Your backsplash is GORGEOUS!!
    Great job.

Susan