Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue4993

white subway tile cost?

sue4993
15 years ago

My kd has picked a white subway tile that is about $13 a square foot. Is that reasonable? We looked at tile at Home Depot to get an idea and saw 22 cent tiles. She said they must not be good quality and I agree but I have no idea what makes a good quality tile. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a good quality, but not outrageous, plain white tile?

Thanks.

Comments (21)

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I paid $2.99 a square foot for Daltile matte white 3x6 subway tile. (the shiny was cheaper). I know there are far more expensive ones but I think these look great.

Anita

• lascatx
    15 years ago

The 22 cent subways are made by Daltile or American Olean. They are major tile makers and probably represent a majority of the tiles in American homes (I'm guessing). I wouldn't be surprised if they, in fact, made the tiles that you see in subways and bathrooms that have inspired the current look. They are certainly quality enough to go in your home and protect your splash for the life of your kitchen.

They are not designer quality -- they are not thick, uneven, handmade or have a handmade appearance, no crackle finishes, and a stadard selection of colors. They are thinner that some others, flat, clean edges and will have a crisp look. The softened look will cost you more, starting at 5-6 times more and going up from there. The $13 tiles your designer is using are near the lower end for designer tiles. Which look you are after or whether you would even notice the difference on the wall is something you neeed to determine.

• amsunshine
    15 years ago

The .22 cent tiles at HD are either American Olean or Daltile. The quality is good -- but it's just a simple ceramic tile -- they aren't going to fall off the wall or spontaneously crack or anything, as long as the installation is good. Many people on these boards have used them (including me) and have been very satisfied. I don't know what tiles your kd picked, but they may be porcelain, and they may be squared or rectified tiles, which is the more "authentic" look for subway tiles. It all depends on what matters to you. Are you looking for an "authentic" look? Or will it satisfy you to mimic the look for a much nicer price?

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I watched as my reply was posting and thought how ironic it was that irregular was a designer thing now that you pay more for. Used to be the other way around -- that would be considered seconds quality and you wanted the smooth, even, crisp look. Well, you have the choice now.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Some of the options for designer subways include crackle, pillowed (the center is very prominent), rectified (very straight edges -- if you want no grout at all), and a perfectly flat type (don't know its name). Someone on this forum has a beautiful kitchen with crackled light green subway tiles, white cabs, and glass knobs. I went with Daltile and 1/16" grout because I decided I just wasn't that into tile.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

boy, you guys know your tile. i was going to respond, but the last three posts just about covered everything i could've said.

love the knowledge that is present on this board!

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

It sounds like the tile company is US ceramic tile.
    I used white for a rental apartment and it looks good.
    I was able to rent the apartment right away and the tenant raved about how nice the bathroom looked.
    Double check with HD the brand name of the 22 cent tile to make sure.

Us ceramic tile has a website for their product line.
    You can call them and request a free sample.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I got the cheap tiles from HD (I paid 11 cents) and love them. And no they are not falling off and none were chipped or broken. There is a poster here that has white subways but they look like they have bevelled edges (I don't know if that is what the pillow is). She has white cabs and soapstone. Those are the only subways I would pay more for. Anything else, they all look the same.

• sue36
    15 years ago

There is nothing wrong with the Daltile subway tiles. I have them in a bathroom, no defects, they aren't thin, no issues. For $13 per sf a white subway better have something special about it (handmade, crackle, beveled, pillowed, etc.).

• edlakin
    15 years ago

agreed. i sourced handmade 'cut-edge' subways for my last kitchen for around $7/sq ft. they were nice and thick and the squared-off edges made it easy to set them very close together for a more period look. the handmade aspect gives a general uneven quality that also lends itself to a more period look.

i don't remember who made them, but here's a pic:

• spoonwood
    15 years ago

We went with the inexpensive Daltile (it's actually the off-white shade) and we are very happy with the choice.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Double check with HD the brand name of the 22 cent tile to make sure.

That comes to about 1.76 a foot, which is most likely Dal. If you pay more than 2.00 a foot for Dal's subway tile, you're getting burned.

If, however, it IS U.S. Ceramics (Romany Spartan), pass it up. They're chinsey.

• spoonwood
    15 years ago

acountryfarm - I love the dark pebble tile in the base of your showers! Can you give us more information....? Brand, style, etc....

• ne_flyingdiver
    15 years ago

Thanks for the FYI from Bill regarding Dal vs US Ceramics. I called Lowes and HD to find the brands. My Lowes switched to US and the sales lady said they are not as good as the Dal they were carrying. HD said their brand is DAL. Same price at both places $1.57/sq.

• sue4993
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of you; you're the best. I now know what to look for and what questions to ask. I thought $13 was high for the simple subway. I will look for Daltile!

The pictures were great; now I can really see my "vision".

• hockeyislife40
    15 years ago

acountryfarm, what color grout did you use? Some pictures looks like white on white, but others look like it might be something other than white.

• ne_flyingdiver
    15 years ago

I mentioned earlier that by calling HD they said they carry Dal. I stopped by and the tiles were US ceramics and they do look cheap.
    Robin

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

You might ask them specifically for Dal's Rittenhouse Square Subway tiles. Even if they don't have it on the shelf, they can get it. The only question would be the cost. You might also try a tile showroom.

• polie
    15 years ago

I agree with the posts up front that it's really a matter of preference. We wanted true old style subway tiles, so we went with Subway Ceramics (see www.subwaytile.com). However, we think for our laundry room, we'll go with low cost "good enough" subway tile that has the modern pillowed edge and is thin.

• cookingsherry97_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Can the cheaper tile be used for kitchen counter t?op