Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue2012_gw

Please show me your cabinet styles!

sue2012
11 years ago

I never knew all the decisions in cabinet styles. I thought we were going shaker style but DH now thinks they are too plain. I want a style that isn't too busy/ornate, and fairly easy to clean.

I have to decide today. Please Help!!

THANK YOU!!

Comments (17)

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

What do you mean: Mitered corners as opposed to shaker corners? I can't see a difference between yours and my shaker cabinets! :) Thanks!

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

I was half asleep when I wrote that post. I like the simple look of shaker but I wanted mitered corners so that's what I ordered. You can see the miter best in the back corner above the spice rack. I also had them add one row of beading to dress up the look. But my main goal was to not have a raised center panel. That look is too traditional for me.

Jodi-

• bahacca
    11 years ago

Mine are cathedral. I haven't seen many here with them. They are original to our 1984 house. I figure in 5 more years they'll probably be en vogue again!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Mine are raised panel, partial overlay, custom stained cherry. Here's what they looked like right after they were put in, before the counter or backsplash. My kitchen is transitional, but they are also used in traditional design. They may seem too fussy/formal for you.

Jodi's cabs may be what you're looking for, just a bit fancier than shaker.

Have you done the Sweeby Test? I found that really helped me make this kind of design decision. Have you checked the Finished Kitchens Blog for ideas?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I too wanted something plainer, but not so plain as shaker and I ended up with this flat panel door design.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I was almost ready to go with plain Shaker cabinets. But I too wanted it a little bit more dressy. And I found these...Similar to Jodi's but with an outside groove too.

• sue2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow!! Beautiful Cabinets everyone.
    Jodi, when you say mitered what do you mean?
    Thanks for the input it is helpful.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

Same here, thought about plain with recessed panel which I had before, but wanted something just a bit different. I wanted a wider frame with all edges of the frame (inside and outside) beveled. These are premium hickory with SW chestnut stain. We used a custom cabinet maker who has done a lot of work for us in the past.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Don't mean to butt in, Jodi, but I can answer this since I'm here.

Mitered is when the outside boards at the edge of the door are joined with a 45 deg angle cut. I think in traditional Shaker, the side boards go straight down and the horizontal board meets at a 90 deg angle.

If you look carefully, you'll see that Jodi's have a faint diagonal line at the corner where the grains meet. Annie's, however, appear to have boards that go straight down. Mine go straight down, too.

Ginny

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

This is just the bottom corner of our cabinets.
    Basically raised panel but the edge is angled (does the make it mitered?)
    We did put a molding on the bottom of the cabinets

Here is the same run before the bottom molding - but a picture of the whole cabinet - but before pulls

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Thanks Ginny! That is exactly what I would have written. But I would have signed it ... Jodi :-)

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

A2gemini, your cabinets and drawers are made with a Shaker pattern. Mitered corners meet at a point in each corner. It's all about the corner cut on the rails, not the bevel on the rails or panels.

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

The alternative to mitered doors is called cope and stick. A traditional Shaker door is an example of cope and stick. To illustrate, here is a picture with the sample mitered door for our family room cabinets leaned against our kitchen cope and stick doors. Look at the difference in the way the stiles (vertical frame pieces) and rails (horizontal frame pieces) meet.

The cope and stick frame of a Shaker door normally has a square shaped profile. So there are a lot of ways to vary from that - some with beads like Bee's or with a step like Anne's or more simple variations such as a round over or bevel on the inside or outside edge or both. For our family room, we went with a mitered edge and a raised panel. I like the look and it's great in our family room but wouldn't want it in the kitchen because it would be hard to clean spills.

• User
    11 years ago

Here's my example - we wanted a rustic, country look. This is a bathroom vanity but our kitchen cabinets will be same wood / finish / style. White oak, natural finish, inset shaker style cabs.

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

Here's mine. Walnut shaker with a larger piece on the interior. Love them!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

vsalz, yours is usually under the category of "applied moldings".

Pretty cabs, guys.