Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czarinalex

Granite natural 'staining'

czarinalex
10 years ago

Just wanted to share my story.

I went to the granite yard and looked at about 5 or 6 slabs of our granite, Ivory Fantasy. The slab I picked had a large 'bloom' of a yellowish color on the bottom of the slab. The rest of the slab was beautiful with all the swirls I was looking for. We laid out my template to avoid the yellow color and I examined it carefully(with my glasses on!).
The counter was installed and the sink installed but not hooked up. I had a school event to attend that evening and left for work the next day. Our contractor hooked up the sink the next afternoon. When I came home from work and admired a working sink(after 3 months of none), I noticed a yellow splotch right at the front of the sink.
I am certain the granite yard did not move the template. The way the template was laid out on the granite and the right angle, it is impossible for it to be the same mark I noticed at the yard. The front of the sink was at the top of the slab and I just didn't notice it because it was too high up.
The yellow blotch is not very noticeable to the casual observer but of course my eye goes to it every time I stand at the sink.
I guess my reason for telling this story is because others who ended up with non-standard markings on their granite are always admonished that you must see your slab and you must approve the template. That doesn't always guarantee you will get exactly what you want.
Next time, I'll request a step ladder and examine every square inch of the slab!

Comments (3)