Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me pick my pendants

Posted by isixpacku (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 9:14

We are trying to make the final push to finish the kitchen and picking pendants and a fixture for over the breakfast table, which I have no ideas on yet, is one of the last things we have left. I would love to get opinions on pendants.

For those you not familiar with my kitchen we have typhoon bordeaux granite, a 48" Rachiele copper sink, Waterstone PLP 5500 faucet, and the cabinets are traditional raised panel with mitered doors and a pillowed edge. Below are a couple of pictures.

Here are the two of the pendants I am considering. I have loved the Hudson Valley Darien pendant since I first found it on GW. I would have ordered it weeks ago but I was trying to find a less costly pendant. The other pendant I found recently is visual comfort boston pendant. The Darien pendant is 8" wide while the Boston one is 5 3/4" wide. Our island is 114" long, and we were planning on having three pendants.

Now that the granite is in I am wondering if we should have amber color shades instead of white. Amber shades typically aren't my favorite because of how yellow they are put I wonder if they would look better.

I would appreciate it if you have any opinions to share or any pendants you think would look great.

Here are the pictures.
Hudson Valley Darien:
 photo HVDarien_zps72f7d642.jpg

Visual Comfort Boston:
 photo ScreenShot2014-06-20at75202AM_zpsc9f563a6.png

Kitchen:
 photo 1624A484-3397-4DCD-8AB9-179110B40162_zpsdh5tqchd.jpg

Granite/backsplash/faucet laying on side:
 photo 3ADBA51F-5E3C-4CA5-9848-FEB3A7650585_zpshx4ilzka.jpg

Cabinet color:
 photo C96CB50B-D0BD-48CB-8765-ED958DD2C8AD_zpsq67tayjo.jpg

The inspiration picture for the HV Darien pendants:
 photo ScreenShot2014-06-20at81300AM_zpsbe890680.png

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me pick my pendants

Hi, I love your kitchen! It's going to be beautiful when it's done. I love your choices of pendants. I would not go with amber shades, since you are not a fan of the look anyway. It will give off a yellowish cast, too. I actually like the visual comfort Boston. I like the shape of the shade, and classic design in the hardware. I know it is smaller, but I think you will be fine if you are planning on having 3 of them over your counter. Good luck with the rest of your renovation!! Lookin' good.

o

I really like the darien. I too have picked out a HV pendent and to be honest I tried a cheaper version first and it didn't even compare. I'm delaying my pendent purchase a little bit to be able to get the one I really like.

o

Love the Darien ones. They will look great in your kitchen!

o

When I looked at the initial pics, Ithought the Visual Comfort, Boston pendant. But, I love your inspiration pic with the three Darien pendants.
Is your island large enough to accomodate three of them? If yes, go for it!

o

I like them both, but the deciding consideration for me would be the ultimate effect: the Darien feels sharper, edgier, a little more modern, and the Boston softer, more traditional.

So take that as you may, maybe it will give you the final perspective you need to tie it together.

o

Thanks for your input everyone. I ordered the Darien pendants but am second guessing my choice. My kitchen is more traditional, and although I love the Darien, it may not be the right choice for my kitchen.

Part of what drew me to pick the Darien was the larger size (8" vs 5 3/4") and that it comes with a stem kit. The Boston pendants are 44.5" long unless you custom order them for an additional $88 each. At 44.5" long, they would be 37.5" off our countertops, which are 38" tall. My husband and I are both 6' tall, and it think I would want the pendants to be a little higher up, probably around 40", to feel like they aren't in my face but I don't know for sure. Our ceilings are 10' high. How high off the counters would you have the pendants in our case?

I also am trying to pick a fixture for over the breakfast table but am not finding anything I love. Here are two fixtures I am considering. What are your thoughts on how these would work with either pendant? Any suggestions of something different to look at?

photo E8E1F674-A114-4E6C-9705-7395B0EE75D6_zpsbtkmbt5f.png

photo 5B601959-1CBD-41D3-94D2-AB4964706B38_zpszsbtbhcc.png

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here