Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under sink dishwasher? Who knew!

Posted by bpathome (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:13

I was leafing through the current This Old House and saw kitchen with a dishwasher.( Page 58 if you are laying along.) Big deal. But there wasn't room for it. It was an angled photo of an angled kitchen, so,I,thought maybe the perspective was off. Being TOH not TOK they didn't focus on the kitchen, and the "resources" only mentioned that the DW and sink were from GE. GE makes sinks? So I looked it up, and sure enough!

I'm thinking the sink is probably shallow, and the DW low, but they're all low these days. The reviews were mixed.

Does anyone have one, or know of one in use?

http://www.geappliances.com/appliances/dishwashers/under-sink-dishwasher.htm

(Hey, where's the "Link" option? Is it missing 'cause I'm on my goofy iPad?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under sink dishwasher? Who knew!

VERY shallow sink, and VERY loud DW. Great for a bar area where space is a premium, but in a real kitchen, it doesn't do a good enough job on real dirty dishes to justify it's existence.

o

That's what the reviews said, loud. I wonder why it's so loud? GE just didn't care?

o

We had one of these in my office. Other than the smaller capacity, I didn't see any difference between it and any other dishwasher. It wasn't the best or quietest machine I have experienced, but it seemed to get the dishes clean and be pretty reliable for a busy office. I think it would be a good option for a very small kitchen. There are also 18" dishwashers for smaller kitchens.

o

It's a matter of not really having any room for sound insulation anywhere as every spare millimeter is given to the tub capacity.

o

I've heard of these in small apartments. I've never seen or used one. It sounds awkward to load.

o

There is essentially only a bottom rack and I think the sink is 6" deep.

I think they might be an okay option for a limited budget and a very small kitchen, but I think an 18" DW, if it fits, or a single drawer DW would be my preference if the budget allowed.

Frigidaire used to make an appliance that was a stove top with a DW where the oven would be and an eyelevel oven.

o

I didn't know such a thing existed. I think it'd be cool in a vacation home or a rental, or a similar spot where your space was severely limited. But for everyday -- no, the sink is too shallow (even for me, and I'm too short to like a deep-deep sink).

I'm sure that for the right place, this is solid gold.

And I agree that the reason it's loud is that they were trying to cram in as much dishwasher as possible, and they didn't have room for the typical insulation. If you've ever seen a dishwasher installed, you know that the whole thing's surrounded by insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here