Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allnewappliances

Kitchen cabinet used as bathroom vanity?

allnewappliances
13 years ago

I posted my question under the bathroom forum, but that doesn't seem to get as much action as this Kitchen one does.

I am thinking of using the same cabinet style and color as my new kitchen cabinets, and just adding legs to it to make it look more like a piece of furniture. My bathroom is off of the kitchen.

Has anyone done this? I was originally going to look for a vanity in maybe some antique or bathroom stores, but then thought this would be the easy way out (and also make the bathroom flow better with the kitchen).

If anyone has done this, would you mind posting some pics? I would love to see some cabinets used as a bathroom vanity, just with legs attached.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• nkkp
    13 years ago

I used kitchen cabinets in my master bath. The only thing to remember is that they are a little taller and deeper than your standard bath vanity. I don't mind it, and I'm only 5'4" but some people may think it feels too tall or not have the space for the depth.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

It's not uncommon, especially in families with taller people. We used standard kitchen height cabinets - not necessarily "kitchen" cabinets - in all of our bathrooms. Two of the four bathrooms have the same cabinets as the laundry room. All bathroom cabinets are on feet. My installer cut off the base of the cabs when they arrived and bought extra stain/glaze from the cabinet company (Jim Bishop Cabinetry) so it would match.

We have a powder room off the kitchen with no cabinets, so they don't match the kitchen. The kitchen cabinetry was custom. Below is a link of three of our bathrooms. I also used two three drawer dressers with bookcases sitting on top in our master closet. They are on sep. walls and also on legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom cabinets

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I also have a kitchen cabinet in my bath. I'm tall and appreciate the extra height, but I don't think this would be a good option if the bath is used by children.

• phillipeh
    13 years ago

We didn't necessarily use kitchen cabinets in the bathrooms, but we had all the bathroom cabinets (except the master bath) built to kitchen height. We didn't do it in the master because we used vessel sinks on top of the vanities.

• tarnator
    13 years ago

I wanted kitchen height but not depth in the master, but my contractor had my CUSTOM CABS cut down to standard height thinking that it was a mistake!!!

AAAARRRRGGHHH!!!!

I am on my way over there now to see what can be done....

• jakkom
    13 years ago

We did this but adjustments had to be made for the increased depth. Standard bathroom countertops are not deep enough. We had a simple shelf made to hide the gap, which turned out to be one of the most useful things we did in the entire remodel!

We love the extra height it gives. Even my 5' mother liked the taller height, which surprised me.

• kitchenobsessed
    13 years ago

Brookhaven makes both kitchen and bath cabinets. I needed a pantry-type cabinets that were three inches shallower than standard kitchen cabs, so was able to order them without paying a custom fee. Their depths come in three-inch increments, as are widths, I believe. Height may be the same way. Don't assume kitchen places/people know about bathroom cabinet lines. The first two Brookhaven places I went to did not. Hope this helps.

• marcy96
    13 years ago

As kitchenobsessed mentioned, many of the cabinet companies offer bathroom specific cabinets. They may be slightly different in specs than the kitchen cabinets so just check the specs. I also used "bathroom base cabinets"from Schuler in my kitchen to create a hutch. I wanted 21" deep base cabinets and the bathroom cabs came in 21 and 18" depths so they were perfect and I didn't have to pay a custom fee. Same height and door styles, etc as my kitchen cabs. The only difference was that the shelves inside were only 1/2 shelves.

• allnewappliances
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Kitchenobsessed (and everyone else)....we are getting Brookhaven cabs for the kitchen and I asked our KD about using another one for the bathroom and he did not mention this at all to me.
    I know we need one 36 inches across, but what is the standard size for depth for bathroom vanities?

• adh673
    13 years ago

allison your bathrooms look great btw! Love the mirrors!

I used a kitchen cab in my basement remodel, I'm just ok with it- doesnt look as furniture as I'd like.

I am doing first floors now, and debating using cabs or trying to find an antique dresser to convert for something interesting.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Standard bathroom vanity depths are 18", and more commonly 21"--the raised height vanities tend to be 21" deep.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

You can definitely work with Brookhaven either way. For me it was putting 21" deep cabinets in my kitchen island and 13" deep (their standard upper cabinet depth) up on a toekick for the back of the island.

• allnewappliances
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bumping this in case anyone else has pics to share.
    Thanks everyone so far....

• stjamesb
    13 years ago

my bathroom cabinet is kitchen cabinet height and I hated it. Because the cabinet is high so is the mirror. I am short. Need I say more?