Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekatiel

Show me your travertine backsplash :)!

ekatiel
13 years ago

We're having granite installed this weekend. I chose a Santa Cecila granite that is a bit darker than the normal Santa Cecila. We have honey oak cabinets and white appliances. We've installed oil rubbed bronze hardware on the cabinets (replacing the bright brass that was there!), and we're installing Allure plank flooring in cherry soon after the granite's in. I like the look of travertine backsplashes, but I'd love to see some pictures. We have a large area over our cooktop that I'd like to do something special with (maybe a square of trim with tiles installed on a diagonal inside the square??), so i'd love to see pics of the backsplash over the cooktop, too. Thanks for showing off your backsplashes to me!! --Katie

Comments (21)

• jacduf
    13 years ago

This website, mentioned in a previous post by Twosit has some travertine backsplash pictures. (I'm interested to see some photos too, as I'm doing a 3x6 ivory travertine subway with a niche box over the stove.)
    HTH
    http://www.kctenncabinets.com/kc_photos/index.html

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

We have a tumbled travertine backsplash on an L in our kitchen plus in the butler pantry area. I didn't discover GW until after our reno, otherwise I would have done a niche behind the cooktop with the same pattern I have now. I've been really happy with the travertine backsplash - cleans up great.

Behind the cooktop (the 2 square tiles at left on counter are extra tiles; I put felt squares on the back and use them as coasters or trivets):
    {{!gwi}}

In butler pantry:
    {{!gwi}}

From a distance, it's very neutral but adds a nice texture:
    {{!gwi}}

• franki1962
    13 years ago

we chose travertine for the textured look it gives. ours is 4x4 chairo

Here is a close up of a decorative tile set on a bias

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Here's mine. I put up a stainless shelf from IKEA. My hood has warming lights on the back of the hood so the shelf is a really handy place to set things I want to keep warm.

• franki1962
    13 years ago

The only other thing i can mention is that i specifically did not want a porus material behind my stove (i cook everyday) we chose to put some of our granite behind the stove and put decorative murals on either side.

• diy_mike
    13 years ago

Not to hijack the thread.. but where did you all buy your travertine from? Get a good deal?

I really like the look of the subway pattern "chicagoans" did on the backsplash.

Thanks,
    Mike

• ekatiel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm loving the pictures, guys!

Chicagoans-- I'm glad you posted b/c I was thinking of doing subway tiles on most of the backsplash and then square tiles set on a diagonal for above the cooktop. It looks great. What do you mean by adding a niche there?-- Like a little cubbie? And what tile did you use for the rim around the square tiles? TIA for answering all my questions!

Keep the pictures coming! They are great inspiration! --Katie

• peytonroad
    13 years ago

Here is shot of mine. It is scabos travertine 3 by 6 inch
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Hi ekatiel (I'm a Katie too):

I was referring to a recessed niche, something like below but using the same tile pattern that I have now. I just think they look nice and I like the idea of having a spot for a bottle of olive oil, etc.

The trim I used is also travertine in a simple pencil style.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

diy-mike: We got our travertine at a tile supplier (Westcott-Hindmarsh.) You can find it at several suppliers, such as Daltile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile travertine collection

• leela4
    13 years ago

Another really timely thread as the limestone we thought we were going to use with our natural cherry cabinets is quite blah-does nothing for the cabinets or itself (if that makes any sense). So, also not to hijack the thread, but Chicagoans and Franki1962 can you tell me what the travertine is that you used? I'm trying to find something that is more on the gray side vs yellow or cream.
    TIA

• msrose
    13 years ago

ccoombs1 - Can you tell me what your gorgeous granite is?

Laurie

• franki1962
    13 years ago

Hi leela4, from what i recall we purchased our travertine at home expo here is what i have on my files about it
    Tiles - 4 x 4 tumbled Marble, Chairo. Basically it was the second darkest tile. I also liked the darker tile(which is what we used as part of the frame our murals).

We chose a lower cost grade of marble and there is huge variation in batches even the same case of tiles. We had to set out our selected tiles for the more visble areas.

• soggydollar
    13 years ago

We used a gold travertine 12x12 and some accents

Here is a link that might be useful: http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/47620/2969072810106392600S600x600Q85.jpg

• soggydollar
    13 years ago

One more try

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

These are from a couple yrs ago, after we just moved in, they are gold travertine.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Danila Giacobello
    8 years ago

Can you please tell me where did you got this nice

scabos travertine subway tiles please?

• Mary Paine
    8 years ago

Can anyone tell me where to find the 1 1/4 bronze accent tiles shown , or any bronze 1 1/4" tiles?

• nursetammi
    8 years ago

Mary, I got them in the same place I got the backsplash tiles in a place called TOPCU Tile & Stone in Georgia. I hope that helps.

• stephmcq
    7 years ago

Do you remember what color grout was used? This is beautiful.