Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisa_smith03

urgent! please help advise for backsplash

louisa_smith03
15 years ago

Hello again!

Now I'm looking for advice regarding a backsplash. I wanted to provide an updated photo showing the lovely dark grey (almost black) soapstone with wild, light green veining, but my sister hasn't returned it to me. I can post picteures after work tonight, but I'd love it if people could consider the below pics sooner because the GC is coming tomorrow to pressure me for a final decision. So please chime in with any advice!

I have decided to go with panelled dishwaher drawers, the oven is stainless as is the vent and the cooktop is shiny black (wish it were matte, but lesson learned for next time!) You can see in the above photo some samples of lovely glass mosic tile and also some irridescent green pennyrounds. I decided these won't work-- too busy.

You may also be able to see the glossy green glass subway tile on my white Mr. Induction unit. That green subway tile is what I'm currently learning towards, although I think it's too bright-- I imagine Ed Latkin would say it would detract from the overall soft natural look of the room (I agree with Ed 99% of the time regarding other people's kitchens, so his advice weighs heavily with me!) I considered white subway tile, but fear it would literally upstage the white farm sink. a friend mentioned yesterday that she thought grey would work well there. Grey subway tile? what think you? ever see it before? other ideas?

Here's another view of the kitchen, again, sans soapstone counters.

thank you, thank you!

Comments (24)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Check out Susan Jablon's glass subway tiles. They have a couple of light sage green which I believe is the look you're referring too. If not, they have tons to choose from and I understand she is very helpful and reasonably priced.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile ideas

• rosie
    15 years ago

I like the bright colors in the glass tile, but the way it looks right now seems very right to me for a look harking back to simpler days, if that's what you want. No tile really needed, but a softish solid green or grey simple glazed would also be a very nice background to everything in front. Have you put all the stuff up on those shelves to see how the picture looks to you at that point? Happily, since tile goes on last it can always be added later when you've firmed up your preferences.

• louisa_smith03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks! Yes, Actually Susan Jablon is where I ordered the sample that I have! She is indeed very nice.

I meant to say that my sister will return my camara tonight and then I will post updated photos.

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear my feedback! what about something that isn't glass tile? any gorgeous ceramic backsplash in a soft grey out there?

• sherilynn
    15 years ago

I like the glass tiles, too, but not in your kitchen.

You've got great taste! I love your cabinets, shelf style and color, and your floor.

I'm a visual person and can see your soap stone. Taking the hues and tones from your overall kitchen into account, I would keep the backsplash matte and light. You have so many natural elements and to bring in anything shiny and permanent, such as porcelain, glass, or ceramic as a 'permanent' fixture will make the room feel disjointed and alien to me. The last thing any of us want is for the kitchen to seem off-balance and not flow.

When I see those gorgeous, shiny glass backsplashes in baths or kitchen, they can look fantastic when there is a view in the horizon to pick up those colors. A pool or ocean view, or very strong wall color, bedding, etc... can look fantastic in the right room setting. I do not think it's your best choice.

My thoughts are since that you have those lovely shelves, use hand towels, window treatments, and pottery as accent pieces to make the veining in counters pop. I would use any of the variety of 'natural stone' for your backsplash. Believe me, you do not want to compete with your soapstone veining with a busy backsplash. There are some lovely small subway tiles that would look fantastic in your beautiful kitchen.

I've made mistakes in my kitchen and it's costly to correct. I have wild granite and natural stone look is the only thing that worked with my granite. I'm going to have to darken the grout, hopefully today, because I chose a grout that is too washed out looking once installed. When I went for knobs, I bought what I liked, but after seeing the knobs up, only the most plain of knobs looked the best. (And I would have NEVER chosen this knob as my first or fifth choice. I had to actually buy maybe 30 knobs before I settled on the best looking knob.) These mistakes are not insurmountable, nor time consuming or expensive to change. Once something is on your wall, it can be a royal p.i.t.a. to change. You'll spend five years looking at it to see if you'll ever get used to it, which you won't.

Why not try one of these types of stones below? You can tie in the tone with your grout. Here's some suggestions I found of tumbled stone on the www.flooranddecoroutlets.com site.

Here's a Tumbled Tile in a multi colored pattern that I'll bet would look fantastic with your soapstone and cabinets. Maybe Bill has some photos of using something like this in a kitchen he's done. Each sheet is $23.94.
    {{gwi:1887946}}

The Botticino tumbled stone would look fantastic. It comes in all kinds of patterns in stores, or typical sized subway tile or mini-subway size. I think this color, beige, or Desert Durango (what I used) would look great.
    {{gwi:1887947}}

Like I said, I'm getting ready to darken my grout that I used with my stone. This is a minor fix. I bought white and stainless appliances. Oops. Now that my "white", glazed cabinets are up, I should have just gone all stainless. My DH said he'll 'fix' me up with stainless when my kitchen is 'done' for a bit. I'll give him a year or so, then hit him up with his words.

FWIW: I've used the same type of tile in one of my other homes. I was so sorry that I was committed to those colors. I got sick of them after two years. Just sharing my two cents.

• patti823
    15 years ago

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but my slate has a lot of greens/greys in it.

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and must be stunning with the soapstone. Since you're asking, I honestly don't think any of the smaller mosaic samples would be complementary with the classic, natural feel of all your other design choices. I agree with others here who suggest a sage or greyish green subway tile, preferably not too shiny or iridescent. Look at the link to Susan Jablon that remodelfla gives above. The sage, light sage, celery, light celery are all beautiful muted green choices. There are also some lovely warm choices if you choose to echo the stunning woods in your cabinetry and floor.

But, and here's the important thing, the backsplash is, next to the cabinets, one of the hardest things to change. So you don't want to make this decision in a hurry. Plus, you really have to see the tiles in person, in your home, in your kitchen, with samples, to make an informed choice.

Many on this forum have waited months or more after the rest of their kitchen is finished to choose and install a backsplash. Do NOT let your GC pressure you. If he has to return sometime in the future or if you have to find another tile person to come later, it is worth it to be sure you are happy with your choice.

In any case, let us know what you decide, and please show us your wonderful soapstone.

• louisa_smith03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow sherrillynn! Thanks for the great advice! I should mention that my taste isn't nearly as classic and subdued as it may appear here-- my Fiestaware, Le Crueset and copperware will all likely be on display on the shelves. My preschoolers fab art will be displayed on the walls. I fear such a motley collection of colors will make a mockery of the lovely muted beige tumbled stone. I think the soapstone will hold it's own against the onslaught, but I think I'm going to require something a bit edgy and impertenent for the backsplash.

On the other hand, I believe someday my kitchen and household will be grown up enough to make a good home for the backsplash you recommend-- so maybe I should just put it in and let the backsplash pout at all the crazyness for a few years?

• sherilynn
    15 years ago

I could not agree more with petlady1! Do not let anyone rush you here if you are not sure.

A picture speaks a 1,000 words. Louisa, I hope you don't mind that I'm posting this other photo of your kitchen area that I found. You do not want to compete with that gorgeous brick wall across from your cabinets.

I am 100% percent positive that I would use a tumbled stone in a brick pattern or the one I suggested above to keep the flow and harmony positive in that space.

• astridh
    15 years ago

I really love the faucet, cabinets and sink that you've chosen. I like bright colors, but I don't think that those bright glass tiles belong in your kitchen. I agree with the others that you should go in a softer shade. I wish you could post a picture of your soapstone. If it has a "light green veining" it would look great to pick up that shade in the back splash. I also think that plain white would not detract from your sink and would look terrific with some light green decos. I agree with petlady that a light soft green ceramic tile would lovely. I also agree with petlady that you should take your time making the back splash decision!

• sherilynn
    15 years ago

I fully understand wanting the color and youngness because of your adorable children. Fill those walls (temporarily) with all of their work and notes. What a gorgeous, rich backdrop to display their work!

It's the 'bones' of the room that will also speak volumes. Believe me, you will outgrow those tiles. You don't want to compete with your pretties you own to display. If you 'must' add color, pink up the walls! That's an easy fix to outgrow. Tiles are a more permanent, costlier project to undertake. Drywall often is torn up and has to be replaced and it's a nasty, dusty job to rip tile off walls. (Nothing is insurmountable here. No pun intended.)

Also, should you have to move, you don't want a deal killer glaring at you. I am a real estate agent and am giving you my professional advice here. I have seen many people walk away from houses because something has to be remodeled. IF a buyer takes on redoing a kitchen, they'll want to be compensated thousands over what it would truly cost to change. Not everyone is like 'us' on Garden Web! :)

• louisa_smith03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hhmmmm . . .I responded but it hasn't posted. as it seems lost in the ether, I'll post again. I just want to say thank you so much to everyone who has advised me to slow down!

Also-- the slate is stunning! homes built in our area used lots of slate in construction (in 1920s at least), so that seems an especially appropriate choice. Some of my fiestaware colors may clash, but I could just give those colors ones away-- or just buy new dishware entirely! the "flame" color Le Crueset and my copperware should play very nicely with a slate backsplash.

Furthermore, Ed Laskin's last advice on a backsplash was pro slate, if I recall correctly!

thanks again! I've asked the KD to schlep samples of slate and other natural stone that she thinks would work over tomorrow. yay!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

That green subway tile is what I'm currently learning towards, although I think it's too bright-- I imagine Ed Latkin would say it would detract from the overall soft natural look of the room (I agree with Ed 99% of the time regarding other people's kitchens, so his advice weighs heavily with me!)

thanks, that's nice to hear!

i agree with your assessment of what my assessment would be--those tiles will busy-up your space too much. given the smallish size of your kitchen and the brick opposite the backsplash wall, i'd go simple in your classic-looking traditional (and really beautifully done) kitchen.

i like the idea of subways. you could go with a marble subway to set off the soapstone. or get yourself a plain handmade cut-edge white 3x6 subway tile and set the grout line really small. a pale green glass subway *could* work, but i'm not sure. i really need to see a pic with the counters in place to get a feel for it.

oh, also, are you running the backsplash up the full height of the wall or stopping it somewhere? that makes a difference, because if you're going full height you definitely want to avoid the busy-ness of the different-colored mosaics.

Ed Laskin's last advice on a backsplash was pro slate, if I recall correctly!

it was, but i don't think i'd like the slate in your kitchen...slate is a bit too heavy and contemporary for what you've got going on in that space.

• louisa_smith03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for misspelling your name---- repeatedly!

You know how Patti's slate has squares set horizontally at the bottom then a line and then has the offset going above? Because I do have such a small kitchen I'm thinking I would just keep the backsplash to the height of the horizontal line of squares-- although it would go up rather high behind the cooktop. That first line looks to me to be appx 4 x 4? For the height behind the cooktop, maybe there could be a rounded top instead of a squared top-- so a strong vertical element but still not too much backsplash? I fear too much backsplash will take away from the openness I really crave.

If I go with subway tile, I imigaine I would want a similar restricted heigh-- like three rows high for the majority of the space and then up to the line of the vent hood, but with a bit of space to let overall backsplash breathe-- not look too confined. does that make sense?

thanks for your input!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Three thoughts, from most to least radical:
    First, on an open shelf kitchen, should you have a backsplash at all? I almost think that any backsplash detracts from the very open feeling you currently have.
    Second, I really love the brick wall on the other side and I'm wondering about using a brick veneer backsplash. There are questions as to whether it would look too busy and whether you can get it to match the wall on the opposite side, but it would look very nice. (Brick may not be in fashion now, but it will come back...but in any case it's whether you love it or not.)
    Last, please reconsider plain white subway tiles. They will pick up the color of your sink, not compete with it. I have a Shaw's sink and used plain white tiles above it and on either side of the window. You don't have to go all the way up the wall, and in fact I would like the minimalist look for reasons stated in idea #1.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

You know how Patti's slate has squares set horizontally at the bottom then a line and then has the offset going above? Because I do have such a small kitchen I'm thinking I would just keep the backsplash to the height of the horizontal line of squares-- although it would go up rather high behind the cooktop. That first line looks to me to be appx 4 x 4? For the height behind the cooktop, maybe there could be a rounded top instead of a squared top-- so a strong vertical element but still not too much backsplash? I fear too much backsplash will take away from the openness I really crave.

i'm actually thinking just the opposite. i think you should go all the way up the wall to the ceiling, and that will make the space actually feel bigger and more open. but only if you use a really simple tile--something with almost zero texture, color variation, or embellishment.

like white subways.

ditto to what bluekitobs said above--they won't compete with your shaw's sink. here's a pic of my last kitchen with white handmade subways and a shaw's:

oh, and don't worry about the misspelling!

• louisa_smith03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm-- I have super high ceiling-- like 12' plus and I don't think I can afford to have that entire wall done. Since there is open shelving, there is a really massive amount of tiling we are talking about. and Arent those handmade subway tiles crazy expensive to boot? I want to keep the price of materials around $20. this is a middle class house in a middle class neighborhood so I really can't spend too much outside the norm. Those walls of tile only seem to be in mansions. Love the look, but it seems outside our range of comfort. Maybe I should start small and if it looks wrong, then tell them i want more?

Bluekitobsessed, thanks so much for your feedback-- especially regarding your personal experience with white subway tile and the Shaw's sink. Perhaps it is the white dishwasher that is throwing things off balance in my imagined kitchen of white subway tile. I'll ask the KD to bring along some white subway tile too!

• sweeby
    15 years ago

OMG Louisa -- The perfect backsplash is right there in front of you!

It's more of that wonderful brick you already have! You can get genuine bricks in thin 'veneers' and use a gray thinset to mount them. They'd be perfect with your sturdy, natural and organic vibe, and make your kitchen feel like it totally belongs to the house. Plus, it's a wonderfully neutral background that won't fade into nothingness with your bright and funky accessories.

Brick! Brick! Brick!
    (And cast iron or forged dark steel for your hardware.)

• louisa_smith03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

$20 per sq ft! $20 total isn't likely.

• sherilynn
    15 years ago

I just posted a photo of a kitchen with island legs for another to see. I thought about your kitchen when I saw it because of the cabinet color and subtle stone coloring. Reading what others wrote about doing the tile to the ceiling is what is making me bother to post these photos. The painting on the wall gives more dimension to the kitchen and it 'seems' to be continued stone, though it's not of course. A little dimension painting would help tie it all in. Hope this helps.

{{gwi:1887949}}
    {{gwi:1887950}}
    {{gwi:1887951}}

• edlakin
    15 years ago

louisa, i paid $7/sq foot for the handmade subways that are in the picture i posted.

have you measured the space that you need tile for? you should measure and figure out your total budget for the backsplash project, rather than thinking in $/sq. foot.

• louisa_smith03
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Where did you get a deal like that? My KD said it would be $40 per sq ft and when she expressed shock they treated her like dirt. The space I need tile for is dependant upon how much the tile costs-- the cheaper the tile, the more sq ft I can go with. Heck, as pointed out buy bluekit, i don't really need to get a backsplash at all-- but since I've already agreed to pay for the installation, i feel i should get my moneys worth.

But if I can find that subway tile of yours for that price, I can cover a lot of wall with it!

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i got it from a local high-end tile place here in chicago, but the salesperson took pity on me and told me that if in contacted the company myself and had them ship it to me directly, i could save a bundle. i had to pay some extra in freight--can't remember how much--but it was worth it.

they were nowhere near $40/sq foot to begin with, though. i'll do some googling.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

here's a link to a company i keep seeing at the arts and crafts design shows i go to. nice stuff, but i think you have to call to get pricing.

Here is a link that might be useful: subway ceramics

• edlakin
    15 years ago

here's a cut-edge ceramic from the tile shop (national chain) but they're 10x20 cm, which is roughly 4x8 inches, so slightly larger than the standard 3x6 inch subways that are so ubiquitous. $7.99/sq foot but that's before contractor pricing (we got a 25% discount when we bought through our contractor at this place).

Here is a link that might be useful: tile shop subways