Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

Posted by peemps (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 08 at 8:49

I think dark hardwood floors look beautiful with off white cabinets. KD says don't even think of it because it's a dusting nightmare. For those of you with dark wood floors, any regrets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

Last year we put brazilian cherry in our kitchen. They are so pretty right after they are cleaned but show EVERYTHING! I have always been a cherry or mahogany fan but not on my floors ever again! We're putting lighter colored floors in our new house.

o

Ditto - I put in Brazilian cherry too - it almost always looks dirty. My office and bath are old ash - they show nothing.

I should have known better - but they sure do look nice with my cabinets ;)

o

I love the contrast of the white/off white cabinets and the dark wood floors. That's the look I was wanted to go for if I did a remodel. But, realistically, I would be afraid of the same thing. Maintenance, Dust AND my dog. Our remodel didn't happen (long story) but we are selling this place and building. (Hopefully)

The new place will be hardwood throughout the entry, great room, kitchen, Dining, nook and hallways. They are just starting to break ground next week so I haven't gotten to the "choosing finishes" stage yet. Dark flooring (Mahogany, Cherry) is an option, however I don't think the white cabinetry is. Also, a friend told me she would never EVER choose white cabinetry again so that's made me scared to even ask about the possibility. They do have a flooring with a finish that reminds me of Milk Chocolate that is very pretty, it might be a good choice for us.

Our current house has a lot of the early 90's "whitewash" or "blonde" wood, trim & cabinets so I am ready for some darker, richer colors.

I drool whenever I see the white cabinets & dark floor combo though! It's gorgeous.

o

We put in Sepele wood from Africa - part of the mahogany family and although they are beautiful I can echo above comments that they show every speck of dust. I could use the swifter three times a day and still have dust on the floors. Never a dark floor again for me!

JB

o

When we purchased our house last year we had hardwood put throughout the first floor ... only the flooring guy stained them too light (like a dark oak color), and I hated them. Well, maybe "hate" is too strong a word, but I was disappointed. Yes, they "hid" the dirt better but I'm not sure that's a good thing, plus, and more importantly, they didn't make me happy.

pre-remodel

Now that (this portion of) our remodel is done, our floors were stained the correct super-dark color and I LOVE them! Yes, they do show the dirt more than a lighter color but so do our white cabinets (vice a darker or stained cabinet). I have two children (four and two years-old), three cats and a puppy, so we have lots of fingerprints / dropped food / drips / pet hair, so I pretty much vacuum on a daily basis. I've got it down to a science.

after the floors were done and the kitchen is almost done, this picture was taken in May

Vacuuming is NOT my true love, but I am so happy with how our home looks (with the dark floors and white kitchen) that I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I think it ultimately matters what is more important to you: low maintenance or the appearance. I made my choice and I have yet to regret it.

o

Thank you all for your opinions. It is something I will need to think about awhile. :) PS: rmkitchen.......Beautiful kitchen!

o

They look great....and if you like to clean often...they are okay, but they show everything....to much maintenance for me.

o

I absolutely love rmkitchen's floors...So gorgeous. But we have Brazilian Cherry and I have big regrets. Dust, doghair, light scratches...you name it, it shows, and there seems to be no way to get rid of all of it. I thought since I wasn't going as dark as rmkitchen's floor that it would be OK...Not. We just built and are still finishing things, so 'next time' is not a foreseeable option, but I sure wish I'd stuck with the 'boring old' red oak. I love the rich color of the Jatoba, but it's not worth it on a day to day basis, especially in our busy house.

o

I am planning to have my red oak floors stained English Chestnut. Is that considered a "dark" color or is it
more of a medium color? Thanks

o
RE: Carolyn and English Chestnut

I think of English Chestnut as fairly dark, Carolyn, but the number of coats you have put on will probably make a big difference in how easy or difficult it is to take care of.

o

We have Brazillian Cherry throughout the main portions of our house and I agree with the above posters. We got Cherry specifically because we had read it was harder and less prone to scratching. That may be true, but when they do scratch, the scratch shows from across the room. I wouldn't do it again. I'd go for a medium-tone wood instead. One point I don't think has been discussed is the sheen on the floor. Ours are pretty glossy, and I think perhaps that adds to the "shows every imperfection" problem. I often wonder if a matte finish would be more forgiving.
Lynn

o

We also have dark cherry hardwood floors (but we also have dark cabrinets as well but we off-set the dark tones with light countertops, backsplash, and paint)...anyway, we have a house rule where we take off our shoes when we enter our house so we don't have a problem with too much dust, scratches, and footprints...we dust one a week and they look fine to me....like another poster said, it's a personal preference....maintenance v. appearance?

Also, JanJan212, why was your friend so against white cabinets? Is it strictly because they show dust and food???? or is it because of something else?

o

We have Brazilian Cherry floors in a very very low sheen and they are very easy to take care of. BC is very rich and does not need a sheen to look good. Our floors are very forgiving. Scratches do not show unless they are very deep. We only have two scratches of that nature after two years. They were both put there by the cleaning lady moving things that she was not supposed to move. I covered them up with a marker and you can't see them unless you really try. We have a miniature schnauzer that plays fetch in the house daily.

I got the floors after seeing it at the neighbors. She has four dogs. No scratches show unless you get on the floor and peer at it from different angles. Its the finish that scratches, not the wood. Since the finish is not glossy, it does not show.

They do show footprints if the feet are wet. I use Bona Kemi on a swiffer type mop once a week.

o

Gosh, I hope not as we just got them stained! I've always been drawn to dark hardwood floors and was too chicken to get them. And now that we have them, I love them and wouldn't go back. We went with a satin finish (more matte than semi-gloss) which is better for care. We have a Robo-vaccuum that will take care of all the dust, and will be easier to use now that we have hw floors throughout the house (there used to be a transition from hw to ceramic tile).

I'll let you know in a month how I feel...but I have a strong feeling that I'm *in love*.

o
Forgot to add

I forgot to add that the photo above is the stain only - without the poly top coats - which is why it looks very dull.

o

We have a ton of mahogany in our new home, so we a very light floor would have too much contrast. We are thinking of white oak with a quick wipe of the same stain that we put on all the wood. Good point about the sheen...we will definitely make it satin and not a gloss. Thanks for that advise.

o

I had Brazilian Cherry in my last house. It was a love/hate relationship. LOVED the look of them when they were clean, HATED the maintenance to keep them that way. Everything would scratch them (stools, chairs, dogs)... and I just learned to live with it. Would never do them again, but strangely, I miss them. As I said, love/hate! ;)

o

We put in 3/4 Tiger-Wood throughout the house, and although it does require more cleaning than our previous light maple, we absolutely love it. The Tiger-Wood was dark when it was installed and actually turned darker as the light hit it and aged.. This is common in most (if not all) natural woods.... I would go w/ the wood color that best fits your vision. Look at it this way, it's probably a good idea to get that stuff off the floor anyway... Now it cannot be camouflaged :--)

o

I have Brazilian Cherry and as others have said, it shows every bit of dust and smudge. I do think the finish makes a difference though. My floor is rather shiny (too much for my taste) and I think if it was more of a matte finish the dust and smudges (I have bare feet a lot in the summer) wouldn't show up nearly as much. I don't notice scratches showing up more though.

o

I'm able to speak from experience on both light and dark hdwd. I have maple (naturally blond) throughout the rest of the downstairs and, for reasons mentioned on other posts ad infinitum, ended up with a medium-dark caramel stained maple in the kitchen and FR. Neither one is perfect. My black, furry dog manages to track light colored dirt onto the dark floor and shed hair onto the light floor :) HTH.

o

Oh me, too -- Brazilian cherry, they're gorgeous, they show everything, and I regret them. We had much lighter floors before, and they were much more "forgiving." With an aged Bichon who dribbles everywhere, and paws and feet that carry the dribbles everywhere else, the floors are impossible to maintain. We live amid canyons and dust is a fact of daily life, and each morning I can see a light coating across these beautiful floors. It's very discouraging, especially as we've got over 2000 sf of the cherry! As an active working woman, I've simply chosen not to let the floors imprison my time, but there's a price I pay for that.

I'm one of those who selected marble for my kitchen. Marble will not give you a "pristine" look in a productive kitchen. I took the good advice of those experienced marblers here on this forum and examined my true emotions for the stone and its qualities. I decided that I could embrace the inevitable patina that comes with everyday use because the beauty of the stone -- to me -- far outweighs my desire for an immaculate and "perfect" surface. And I'm thrilled that I have no regrets with my decision.

I do wish I'd given as much thought to maintenance when it came to my floors. Just yesterday I was wondering to myself if there's a cleaning service that just did floors...

I'd think about it very carefully. You're the one who's gotta live with it. You need to know if you're willing to fret and slave over your floors, or if you can cast a blind eye.

o

Again, check out a low sheen. We used engineered, Mirage in a cashmere finish. This is even less shiney than satin finish. This question comes up all the time on the forums and I always pipe in about my floor but I don't think anyone believes me. My floor is SOoooo easy to take care of. Yes, I see footprints after a while in the high traffic areas, but they don't show up really well. No one notices them. I can get rid of them very easily when they build up. And I'm very picky.

I am talking about a VERY low sheen. NOT satin finish. Its a lower sheen even than satin. Its a beautiful floor. It looks really natural an rich. I got the floor because of the very low maintenance. I swear!!

o

There are two rules for easy maintenance that any commercial facility designer will tell you:
1) any carpet should be patterned to hide dirt
2) any wood floor should be low-sheen to hide scratches.

Disregard at the cost of your time and energy - if you've got both, you're way ahead of me, LOL! We have medium-stained oak flooring with a satin oil poly, and it's very easy to take care of.

o

We just switched from maple to white oak stained a mahogany like color and I Love it! I like the contrast between my cabs and the floor. I have an i-robot and a hide- a- hose, so vacuuming is easy. I live in the NW so perhaps that helps with not showing much dust due to our cloudy days. I also have 4 children and dirt is hidden better with the dark wood than the maple.

I think you should go with the period style you want to achieve and your gut.

o

Braz. Cherry in my kitchen, dining room, powder room and foyer. I just mopped it yesterday with Bon Kemi -- it looked gorgeous for about an hour!

I does show every smudge, scratch and crumb (mine is very shiny).

Dust mopping is not enough if it is in a kitchen. You must used a spray and mop it to get rid of drips and smudges.

o

My good friends just redid their kitchen and put in a light maple flooring through kitchen, hallway, and entry. It looks great and works well with their Golden Retriever in disguising hair, etc. They love the look of their floor and my friend said it's really easy to keep looking clean.

We did a Mannington oak floor in Nutmeg, not real dark, but definitely in the dark grouping, it has a reddish tone to it and works very well with our two red dachshunds, in hiding hair, etc. I love the look and it's fairly easy to keep clean. However, once dust starts accumulating under the rattan sofa, you CAN see it fairly well. And, just as soon as my very helpful 21 year old DD and I see it, we start saying something along the lines of, "This floor is really getting dusty, we should clean it!" After maybe a week of saying that, usually one of us gets out the broom or dustmop and cleans the floor. I have to say that your own lighting situation, (most of our rooms are not that well lit) and your own fussiness matter the most. I am in love with my floors and would only go even darker next time. A nice wood floor with a few smudges or dust bunnies is infinitely preferable to carpet for us. My bathrooms get cleaned twice a week, I need kitchen counters wiped constantly, and I HATE laundry piled up anywhere. The couch cushions need daily straightening and I vacuum the area rugs minimum once a week, sometimes a lot more. I guess the wood just doesn't bother me that much even if it shows the dust a bit.

I may have had the floor clean in this photo, hard to remember. This is the area where I get the most light coming across the wood. So, when this looks bad, we really start to discuss cleaning it.....lol.

Red

o

I have to chime in with Chinchette: We have site finished matte BC floors and they are not difficult to keep looking great. They look dazzling when just cleaned, but the matte finish makes a huge difference and they look great all the time. The first few layers they put on the floor were glossy and there was no way we could live with the floor that way: Every single spec of dust showed. There are windows along three rooms full of BC and they always look wonderful. Matte Matte Matte. Are there any dark floor haters above who have matte finish?

My floor is filthy today: A week of intensive gardening and construction outside have pretty much left a new soil horizon in my kitchen. The floor STILL looks good. I'll mop up today or tomorrow, but wouldn't have a problem throwing a party as is. Of course, you are probably thinking I'm a pig with piggish friends, and you might be right (you'll never know!), but the floor looks good and is very easy to care for. Site finishing (no bevel) and matte, did I mention MATte finish work well for us. YMMV.

o

You know, I didn't realize until reading the posts here, but I don't have a problem with the 'smudges' on our Braz. Cherry floor anymore, since switching to a steam cleaner rather than a micromop and cleaner. I would still do matte next time, because other stuff shows and the scratches show too much... But for those of you who have the darker floors, you may want to try a steam mop. I have the Bissell (which I got from walmart.com). Many others have the Shark. If you're interested, do a search on steam mop on the Cleaning board. It has become one of my indispensable cleaning products. I LOVE this thing!
Lynn

o

We have Chilean Cherry, 7" plank low luster engineered wood. LOVE it!

The dog constantly skates across it, dropping hair of course along the way. We have not seen scratches of any kind. A quick swipe of the Bona Kemi mop and were good to go.

We also have a Roomba (not a Scooba) that we let loose on the floor. It does a great job on both wood flooring and carpet. We love the little guy.

Having lots of area rugs helps to divert your eyes from the dust bunnies that seem to grow on dark floors.

Also ... When I walk into the house, I take my glasses off and the whole house looks perfectly clean. :-)

The flooring is a bit darker than what shows in the photo. I'm taking the picture from an open doorway letting in lots of natural light.

View of new flooring from front door

Jodi-

o

Jodi, that is a gorgeous floor. Seriously pretty.

Red

o

Wow Jodi!!!

Besides not showing dust and footprints, matt flooring has a natural feel to it. It is elegant but its relaxed. You have to see it in person and then you'll know. I had a satin mid tone floor prior to this one. The dark matt floor is a lottttt easier.

o

Perhaps the way to make the decision is not to think about how much you love dark floors since I don't think too many people disagree that they are beautiful, but rather - how much do you like to clean? how important is a clean looking house? are you or your husband/family unhappty when the house looks out of sorts? are you embarrassed if your house looks bad when someone drops by unexpectedly? Will scratches upset you?

o

See, our BC floors were also site finished, 4 coats, 2 glossy, 2 matte. Still showed every scratch. I'm telling you, I couldn't pull a chair out without checking for scratches, and I used chair pads. The dog wasn't so bad, but once I pushed my Oreck 8 lb vacuum from the carpet to the wood to catch some crumbs, and I forever had to look at a scratch. It dented very easily, and without the grain to hide things, it just showed everything. Crumbs, you name it. But when it was clean.... it was gorgeous!!

o

We had dark floors in our last house. 1975-era Bruce engineered plank flooring with a beveled edge. It looked great when cleaned and buffed, but after DD came along who had time for that?

I would not choose a dark stain in any future remodels, and I would be hesitant to buy a house with dark floors because dark, matte finish floors SUCK THE LIGHT FROM A ROOM. Or they did in that house. And showed dust and pet hair. No way. Not again.

Now a mid tone, I'd consider.

o

My BC floors. They don't dent or show scratches. I don't know why I'm advocating them so much- still not sure about the impact on the environment. But I tell you- they always look great, and anyone could drop by after a week of not cleaning them. See that little monster walking out of the kitchen? He has sharp claws- no worries. And look at his older brother, to my left. He likes to walk around barefoot with sweaty feet.

We are checking our feedback on the Garden Web

o

My floors look like redrozes floors-maybe a bit darker. I loved the floor sample when I picked it. At the last minute my husband decided to do our bedroom in hardwood too. They didnt have enough of our original choice so they did our bedroom in an almost identical yet slightly more golden dark wood. I really love the slightly warmer/golden dark floor. One main reason I prefer the slightly lighter floor is that it doesnt show dirt. My darker floor shows every speck (and we have a lot of specks). That is my only regret and we are about a year out.

o

I have light oak floors with a satin finish which I love. They never look dirty.

My daughter has cherry floors and is out of town for a week. I've been dropping in to water her plants. Yesterday she had a cleaning service come, and this morning when I went over to water the plants my first thought was that her service must not have come, because the floors looked dusty. No one is home, the service DID come, and in less then 24 Hours the floors looked dusty enough for me to notice. I love the look of dark stained floors, but I'm glad mine are light.

o

We redid ours (1950s oak)a few months ago. They're always dirty. We haven't even moved the good furniture back in yet and we've already pretty much given up on the floors. We do have cats.

o
bbs_homeshop- Tiger Wood - RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood

bbs_homeshop, any pics of the Tiger Wood since I am trying to make up my mind between Amendoim versus Tiger Wood Hardwood floors in my home office and family room.

o

We have only used solid unfinished oak that we finished ourselves, but now we are considering Bellawood or hand scraped pre-finished flooring...anyone have any thoughts on these?

o

Just to add my two cents. We have dark and light cork floors in our lower level and multicolored wood floors upstairs. The dark cork is a nightmare. I'm picking up dust and hair all the time. The finish on the cork is a nightmare too, showing every smudge and drop of water, even on the light color. I'm going to be in cleaning hell for the rest of my life.

Our hardwood is upstairs and sees less action, but is better on the dirt because it's multicolored.

As much as I love our cork floors, I'm really wishing they were easier maintenance and I'm not sure I'd do them again knowing how hard they are to keep clean.

o

We have dark hardwoods on our entire first floor that are similar to color of rdroze and rmkitchen's first floor (your second even darker stain looks awesome!). We love love our floors. We get so many compliments on them and I don't think they show any more dust or dirt than our cherry floors we had in our other house. I don't sweep/mop them daily. We're lucky if it happens weekly to be honest. We don't have any pets and our DD is only 2 so maybe we're just not tracking that much dirt in right now. I would put them in again in a second.

o
pdxgak & cork2win- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

pdxgal, Thank you for letting me know that your dark floors are easy to keep and you love them.

Thank you cork2win for letting me know that cork is not easy to keep looking nice and clean.

o
low sheen

Actually, come to think of it, some one mentioned the low sheen. Our cheery floors did have a sheen/gloss to them and the dust reflected off of them. When we had our dark oak floors redone in this house the top coat they put on has almost no sheen, so I think that helps a bit with the darker floors not showing as much dust as I thought they might.

o

I have Tigerwood floors (since Friday, whooee, I now have them throughout the upstairs instead of just in the kitchen). Have to say I do clean them daily, but it takes seconds, quick runover with a microfibre mop into the vacpan. I'm thinking I may ask for a Roomba for Xmas- then really maintenance should be even simpler. I have a satin finish, and spills wipe up with ease, a quick swipe with a microfibre cloth and they look new again (have had kitchen floor for 8-9 months).

Each person's idea of how much work is acceptable is going to be different, both DH and I are madly in love with our floors, so much so that cleaning them truly is not a chore- though my DS thinks it's stupid to have a floor that you have to wipe up spills right away (well, he's only around a few weeks a year- so he just has to suck it up!!! :>)

kitchen floor darkened a fair bit - looked closer in colour to teak when first installed

Kitchen March 31 2008
bedroom floor just installed- lighter in colour

Master bedroom Floor 2

o
raechelon- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

raechelon, I just love your Tiger Wood Floors. They are so rich and beautiful with color variation in the shades of color I love. Thank you so much for sharing. Also thank you for sharing how they get darker. The floors are perfect for your two rooms and especially for the bedrom with your beautiful rich dark bed. I have been looking for real pictures of Tiger Wood in a real home so I am very thankful you shared them. Just gorgeous!

o

I agree, the Tiger Wood is gorgeous...what is it...is it Bellawood? Where can you find it??? I am chiming in because we are going to install dark wood as well and need some help in choosing how dark...lynn 2006...how dark are you going? We have lots of mahogany, so we have to go relatively dark and we live in the country with lots of dust. But, we didn't want stone/tile throughout.

o

Paso, Here's info I copied off the web:

Tigerwood is a beautiful exotic Brazilian hardwood which provides one of the most unique patterns you will ever see. Tigerwood is so called because it has a reddish/orange background with dark vein striping which give it a tiger-like look. Because of its incredible beauty, tigerwood is highly sought after for both interior and exterior applications. Domestically, tigerwood has been compared to beech wood; however, this wood far exceeds beech visually. Tigerwood may be used residentially or commercially wherever the strong look is desired. From doors to musical instruments to flooring and decking, tigerwood is a great choice and an excellent alternative for those looking for a light-colored floor but prefer something harder and more exotic than maple or beech.

FAMILY
Anacardiaceae.

OTHER COMMON NAMES
Bossona, Bototo, Coubaril, Gateado, Gomavel, Goncalo alves, Guarabu, Gusanero, Jejuira, Kingwood, Locustwood, Muira, Muiraquatiara, Mura, Urunday, Zorrowood.

ORIGIN
Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico.

APPEARANCE
Tigerwood is a species which exhibits a wide range of color and striping. The striping can vary from fine lines to bold strokes. Tigerwood exhibits a large degree of color change with a pronounced darkening of the background under the stripes from a light orangey tan to a deep reddish brown color, which then in turn makes the striping less contrasting and more subtle. It has a highly lustrous surface that is almost oily.

I wouldn't call it light. I would say especially after exposure to light- that it falls in the medium to dark category. We chose it after considering every flooring surface out there, cuz we have so many different colours/kinds of woods in our house from oak, teak, maple, mahogany, fruitwood, etc. and the Tigerwood had the right tones and enough variation to go with everything. Our particular manufacturer is Kentwood- it is 3/4" thick solid hardwood, and the planks are 3 5/8" wide. But, it is available through many different manufacturers- though I didn't like the colour tones in some, so best to see them in person.

o

I would also like to thank you for posting pics of the Tigerwood. I just ordered it for my entire 1st floor and was a little nervous because I couldn't find any pictures of it installed. I've been able to find everything else on this site but no Tigerwood! Our supplier had Red Tigerwood and Golden Tigerwood. We choose the Golden. raehelen, did you have a choice and if so what did you choose? It is so hard to tell color from a picture. It is beautiful!

o
Tigerwood

Saramae,

My supplier- Kentwood- just had the one choice- Tigerwood Elite. When I googled golden Tigerwood, all I got were articles about Tiger Woods winning gold! :>)

But, I would say mine leans towards gold compared to some very reddish samples I saw particularly from our HD. But, my floor has more red tones than the pictures Kentwood has on its own website... so you're right, very hard to tell from a picture. Colour is very similar to teak, with more depth.

I hope you love yours half as much as we love ours- now, if I could just get DH to stop sliding his feet along the floor- (he loves the feel! :>).

o
Paso- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

paso, I am having such a difficult time deciding what to do since the area I live in and the fact I have a cement floor under my flooring now, means I should go with an engineered hard wood floor which to me is not as pretty as a solid hard wood floor in terms of the cut of the wood used. I love Tigerwood and Amendoim so far which are both exotic brazilian floors. I love Cherry but it is too soft of a wood for me to use in my home where I have a home office.

o

I have a med-dark wood floors. They are handscraped and lightly distressed and I love them. They also have a low sheen. I have white cabinets and wanted the darker floors. We also replaced the carpet that was in the family room adjacent to the kitchen and down the hall. I know everyone keeps stating how difficult they are to keep clean, but i hated the carpet for showing all the ground in dirt and I would rather have it on my swiffer than on my floors and not know it. We did have to go engineered since the family room is on concrete, but I love them anyways.
Photobucket

o

ging9, yoru floors are gorgeous! I love the coloring and the look a lot. What wood species and what finish is on them to ake them so pretty?

o

lynn2006, you might want to check out Owens engineered flooring products. It is a high quality product but pricey. In their advertising they mentioned that they cut the wood a different way so that it looks indistinguishable from solid plank.

o

lynn2006-thank you. I love them too. They are an engineered floor like I stated before since we have them both on wood subfloor and the step down family room which is over concrete. It is the Anderson line-Virginia Vintage in Maple Heritage. I really liked the look of handscraped, but noticed that a lot of them are very deeply grooved. This one is less noticable, but has some nice distressing as well. I have two kids, 4 and 2, so I wanted something that I wouldn't obsess over every little scratch and ding. There are some slight surface scratches, but no deep ones and you really cannot see them unless you really look hard. It feels very warm and comfortable under foot. And a plus for the engineered flooring is that there is less swell and shrinkage of the wood and the planks are very straight so installation is very easy. I don't think anyone can tell they aren't solid wood. I don't think you would be able to tell solid from engineered once it is installed, it isn't like the laminate products.

o
astridh & ging9- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

Thank you astridh and ging9 for the information that I will look into as soon as I do some work today since this flooring decision has taken over my thoughts. I really appreciate it and I will look into both lines you mentioned.

o
ordered more samples- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floo

ging9, I just ordered three free samples of hardwood planks from the Anderson site. Thank you.

astridh, Owens does have nice engineering flooring products. Thank you also. I just finished viewing the site.

o

Glad I could help. I hope you find something you love as much as I love mine.

o

Jodi, I love your floor, you have just exquisite taste... Would you share any more details? I love the width of the plank and how the bevel seems a little emphasized. Would you mind sharing the maker and line? I'd love to find something like that in a medium, kind of chocolatey color, hopefully it wouldn't break the bank! Thanks!

o

Great thread peemps, I have been wondering the exact same thing-about the dust, etc. I just love the look of the dark floors. All the floors on this thread look great, I would be thrilled to have any of them in my home!
I am redmodeling my kitchen as well, and I am contemplating an espresso finish maple floor with natural cherry shaker cabinets and a soapstone or honed black granite counter. (on a side note, I am also wondering if I should keep the island in the natural cherry as well.) I am hoping that this type of floor will not be too dark or soft. Just brought home a sample of something by Naturally Aged flooring, but I have never heard of this make before. Seems reasonably priced and has a 25 year warranty. Does anyone have anything similar?
I would love to know the make of Jodi's floor as well...

o
danpezz- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

danpezz, the maple floor with an expresso finish would look wonderful I feel with cherry cabinets. I would keep the walls light.

o

Thank you Tenloris and Danpezz. We love the floor also.

Below are details on our flooring, a link to the Victoria Floors site and a photo of our flooring on one of their pages. I personally think our floor is prettier than what they show on their site.

Victoria Floors - Antique Collection - Coique Chocolate - 7" wide planks.

Close-up of our flooring

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Victoria Floors

o

raehelen, I had to laugh when you mentioned Tiger Woods. I kept coming across articles about him when I was researching Tigerwood! I'm glad you love yours and I will be sure to post pictures when mine is installed. Thanks!
Sara

o

I am going to echo 'bestyears' advice. STEAM MOP! I, too, have Brazilian Cherry floors. With teens, grown man child, woman child w/husband, dog, DH, and frequent family dinners I can attest that my life has changed since owning the shark steam mop. It's WONDERFUL.

Cleaning and mopping is no problem now. So much easier. Once you have your floors dust mopped and or vacuumed, cleaning with steam and no chemicals almost guarantees no streaking, less smudging, etc. Chemicals do leave deposits on the floor. This I know for a fact from a puppy that was extremely sensitive to chemicals. I also learned that half of what I thought was a 'dog problem' was really a chemical problem. Once all the residues off my tile was gone, little to no problems now.

As for dark floors showing dust and debris: of course it does. It's no different than a black car showing dust. It lets me know: cleam my floors. I once had a vinyl floor that was dark green. Ouch. I worked myself silly with that floor. Wood is better.

As for Brazilian Cherry and denting. Uh, yes it does dent. And Yes, it can scratch. It gives my floor character. Because when the floor is clean, you see 'clean', not character flaws.

The ONLY thing that anyone needs warning about BC is knowing that it is very, very sensitive to light. Even a florescent light bulb will cause shadings on the floor if you have a rug down. In my kitchen, I keep rugs in front of the sink, range, and main oven. The flooring is much lighter there than anywhere else. I sometimes leave them off the floor a few days to let the color 'even out'. I have about 1,600 sf of BC downstairs, so I know what I'm talking about. BC darkens with any kind of light. I have an 8' front porch overhang and a 12' back porch and the light still affects the flooring. As long as you know this, you'll be fine. It quickly evens out in the smaller areas. In front of my foyer front door? Well, that's a 5' x 8' foot shading issue.

OK, here's my best tip for anyone that mops. Target and BBB sells the Shark Steam Mop with two mop heads for $79.99. RIGHT NOW www.qvc.com has the Shark Steam Mop with SEVEN mop heads for about $67 and some change. This is a GREAT deal. They've been out for awhile and just got them back in. I ordered three for Christmas presents this past weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Shark Steam Mop 7 mop heads

o
ging9- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

ging9, I have here a sample of your flooring and it is so beautiful and would go wonderful in my bedroom with my Durham Sand White Royal Cottage Furniture but unfortunately it was darker than my Cherry Wood Swedish Furniture in my home office and did not go well. Thanks for letting me know. I am going to try a sample of their lighter colors since the engineered wood floor sample is made so well and just beautiful.

o
Chinchette- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

Chinchette, What brand is your beautiful Brazilian Cherry Floors and what size width is your plank?

o

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I have medium stained oak floors now and was excited to stain them dark to contrast with my off-white cabinets. We follow the Japanese custom I grew up with, which means no shoes worn in the house ever, but now I'm worried about every strand of dog hair showing.

o

Chinchette, Love your space, can you tell me more about your kitchen cabinets, countertop and flooring choices in the kitchen. Were considering installing BC on the whole main floor, I'm thinking tile in the kitchen area, and dark cabinets. I like your light choice for flooring and countertop area. Was this a new build?? or a remodel???
We will have to knock out the wall dividing living room and kitchen for the great room concept. If we do, it may be similar to your design. Do you have a kitchen table also, or a dining room?? Are you satisfied with your arrangements??

o

I had lots of warnings about this - we ended up with a great Doussie. Not installed yet, but it is a super hard wood so I think it will hold up well. I've seen it installed and it is stunning. I have expresso cabs and this is a lighter floor with nice dark brown feature boards.

o

we have real deal solid red oak floors stained English Chestnut...it's a medium (more dark than light) satin/matt finish.....It still scratches..now I don't know how the wood (but not the solid wood flooring) holds up, but a varnish pen makes scratches disappear in my floor....I think unless you go very light, you're always going to see scratches....if you're that worried, I'd go with an already distressed, hand scraped floor....

How the heck do you guys get your pictures to loan and show up like that? I can't figure it out!!!

o

We have Brazillian Walnut in our kitchen, another one of the harder woods, a real pain to install (diy). No stain, they are this color all the way through with a little poly on the top. We love love love them.

**To post pics you need to open an account at photobucket.com, and download you pictures there, then once they're downloaded there is a window that has the hmtl code for it in a box, copy that and paste it into the message.

Here's our floor!

Photobucket Image Hosting

o

Photobucket Image Hosting

Kitchen about 85% complete...
That's my Brazillian Cherry & I would do it again. Yes it does show dirt & dust, but I'm learning to care for it. I'll deal with it because I like the look. Ours doesn't show scratches. We gave many samples our "test" before purchasing. We now have 5 boys and a large dog. They take their shoes off in the mudroom on the slate tile. I vacumn the carpet & the wood with our dyson about 4 times per wook. Once a week I use a spray cleaner & cloth mop. I have a shark (steam)cleaner & use it around the kitchen/table area if needed. Would use that more, but still worried about it on the wood. If you love the look go for it, unless you want it to look perfect all the time.

o
mommyto4boys- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

mommyto4boys (I guess now you have 5 so you must have signed up before the 5th child), I love your Brazilian Cherry floors so much! Do you have the 5" plank? Are they solid wood? What brand did you use? They are rich and gorgeous with that color I love. Your kitchen is also very beautiful. I just love the chairs and table so much as well as that beautiful French Door Refrigerator (what brand may I ask?. Thank you for sharing.

o

ging9, I really like your granite--what is it?

o

Lynn2006-Thanks for the nice comments on the kitchen. I hesitated to share pictures until this week as things are still unfinished & I see all the dream kitchens here & start thinking (coulda' shoulda'). I hate to even type the floor brand here (BELLAWOOD) as some here have said to NOT buy from them. We tested about 5 different Brazillian Cherry floors at home (samples that is). We pounded on them with match box cars, etc and found dinks and scratches to really show less on this brand. I love the way it looks, but yes dust and dirst shows & you need too be wiliing to clean that or live with it:) It is the 5" planks and I'm happy with that choice. The part we are not thrilled about is some unevenness of the floor after installation. The installer says it was much worse than other brands & he wasted more planks than usual to try to keep it even. He wanted us to buy from "his" supplier. My neighbor has a different brand prefinished floor and it isn't perfectly smooth either. I'm thinking it is more just what you get when it isn't sight sanded/finished. Though others may weigh in on this and say they have prefinished and it is perfect. Though I do believe you get a better poly finish when factory applied and that is what we were really looking for. Someday we can refinish the floors as YES they are solid wood.

And we love our fridge! It is a GE profile & has so much space. I liked it because I did not want an exterior/door water dispenser and I didn't want the top hinges to show (dh thinks I'm crazy).

Hope this helps and yes we just had boy #5!

o
mommyto5boys- Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

"mommyto5boys", Thank you for the quick reply. I love your Bellawood floors and despite the installer's complaints, I find them beautiful and perfect for your kitchen. I wish I could have solid wood floors but due to the wetlands my home if built on (so pretty with the woods around me and the location is perfect for me) and my cement floor on my first level, I feel I have to go with an engineered wood floor with a thick sawn layer of solid wood over the plywood for future refinishing. I still am not sure if I am going with 3.25" planks or 5" planks. I seem to like both looks so much.

I wish I saw this picture of your Ge Profile Refrigerator and learned that the hinges do not show before I bought mine. I love my LG French Door Refrigerator but I would have preferred to not have the water on the door since I like the smooth look better like yours and I would have preferred to also not have the hinges show on top. But I am so glad I bought the French Door. I love having a bottom drawer freezer and I love having to not bend down when using the refrigerator that is used a lot more. Your stainless steel refrigerator really is beautiful and is perfect for your gorgeous kitchen.

Congratulations on boy #5.

o

Mommyto4Boys (now 5), checking out your floors again and I really love them so much and would choose your brand if I was going with solid wood. I am still considering both Barazilian Cherry Vs. Amendoim. I love the look of both so much. But your floors are really gorgeous and the 5" plank was perfect with your size kitchen that is just beautiful.

o
ChrissyJamed- RE: Any regrets choosing dark hardwood floors?

ChrissyJamed, I was wondering if you had any pics of your Doussie floor and if the floor is light sensitive also?

o

we bought some Sangria sunset Acacia schn cherry 38x3from Lumber Liquidators they said they had plenty but in fact they did dot we need another 200 feet of this type and if you can find some or something close please let me know.

o

Hi - RmKitchen - and anyone with a super dark hardwood - what vacuum cleaner do you use that doesn't scratch your wood?

o

I think if you have a light colored dog go light flors or a dark colored dog go dark.....I of course have dark hardwood and a light colored pug ( breed sheds worse than a Labrador Retriever) I went dark because the space is open and large otherwise dark floors can really make the space look small . So it you do not have pets to worry about then consider the space and how dark may make the rooms look smaller. Good luck! Btw, both are beautiful and can be even more enhanced by the colors on your wall. Hope that helps :)

o

I have two black dogs. Dark wood is the only wood for me, but I am still cleaning them frequently this time of year (brushing indicates the worst is nearly over). I do see flour after baking in the kitchen, but not a lot of dust other than getting under certain pieces of furniture.

Swiffer wasn't enough, but a Dyson Animal D59 has been great. It is a cordless model with a much longer charge life and a shorter charge time that the swiffer vac I was trying to use between vacuuming. Shark and Hoover have new models, but this one weighed half of what the Shark does and the Hoover was released just after I bought the Dyson so I don't know it's details. Was going to check it out if I wasn't totally happy with the Dyson.

Only issue with the Dyson was the cost and I got a $50 discount on sale plus a pharmacy reward and red card discount and a $50 free tool kit in a Target promo (the attachments get a lot more on the floor and under furniture that the Swiffer or the vacuum and they can do the window blinds and small spaces easier than my vacuum attachments ever did). I figured that was as good as I was going to do on a new unit. You can get them refurbished.

o

I am just beginning to do some research to redecorate our kitchen. Judging from all the complaints and my loathing of high maintainance, it makes sense to me to stick to a light to med oak floor and lite to med counters and any place dust will land. Add some drama with dark cabinets to avoid so many finger smudges and then the icing on the cake - a pretty or bright back splash and walls.. Unfortunately, I am beginning to hear bad things about fingerprints on stainless. Is it true it too is awful to keep looking good?

o

First, we had dark hardwood when we moved into our current condo, and in our last apartment (rental). They were never dust-free, in fact, they appeared to be dust magnets. We refinished them a medium brown, and while I'm sure there's just as much dust, you can't see it now!

As for stainless, yes, stainless shows fingerprints. Some people are bothered by it (me), some are not. We chose to panel our fridge and dishwasher this time around because we hated the drip lines and fingerprints so much in our old house. It can be kept looking fairly good - I just wasn't willing to do what it took (housekeeping is not my forte).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here