Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Does anyone have an update on their Conestoga Kitchen ?

aries61
9 years ago

A while back there was quite of bit of talk with people using Conestoga Cabinets in their kitchen, but haven't seen any updates from them. Does anyone have any up to date progress or pictures?

Looking forward to seeing them.

Comments (28)

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Mine arrives on Monday!

I will update with my assembly efforts once it arrives.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barlowmom, good luck with the assembly. Keep us updated. Thanks

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barlowmom, did you get your cabinets yet? Curious, if you did, what are your first impression of them?

Thanks

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

They are here, and I've unpacked about a third of them.

They look lovely so far, no issues on the doors or drawer fronts I have opened (30+).

I spent about an hour on it last night. They are very well packed, so it takes some time to get the pieces out of the boxes and styrofoam wrap, and then measure it to figure out which part belongs with which cabinet, and set them up with the other parts for that cabinet.

You will probably need a dumpster unless you can arrange to recycle all the cardboard. Also a dedicated area where you will assemble, as I'm taking up a lot if the kitchen while the guys are working on tiling elsewhere.

GC and his team will start assembling tomorrow.

I have 3 kids under 5 so this is not going to be diy, but even with the assembly labor we will still save 30-40% over the other quotes we had for beaded inset shaker/painted maple/all plywood, and that was without including the completely custom island. I think it was about twice the comparable ikea line, but our old cabs were ikea and badly damaged by the prior owner's dogs, so after living with scratched particleboard sides for 5 years I wanted something I could sand and repaint.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

In case anyone cares, Conestoga was one of the plaintiffs in the Hobby Lobby litigation ruled on by the Supreme Court last week. Like Hobby Lobby, they object to providing birth control coverage to their employees for religious reasons.

Like I said,in case anyone cares.

• honorbiltkit
    9 years ago

I care, although I will clarify that what Conestoga's owners refuse to provide are forms of birth control that their faith consider abortifacients, e.g., IUDs and morning after pills, not all contraceptives.

Still, it is ironic that a company whose products are probably mostly decided on by women would hold fast to principles that mitigate against the well-being of women.

Conestoga makes an excellent product, however, and I suspect that many people who might easily forgo Hobby Lobby's array of Chinese-made holiday decorations will have a hard time resisting Conestoga cabinets.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barlowmom, you'll have to post some pictures when you get a chance. I'll be patiently waiting to see them.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

OK! Looks like they will be tiling today, cabinets may wait until Monday.

• Jennifer Franson_Hopper
    9 years ago

Last weekend we put together our 1st upper and lower cabinets. The quality is fantastic but our big/main order is not scheduled until Aug. These will definitely take many many weekends to build but the result so far is beautiful.

FWIW we went to 4 custom cabinet makers all who use Conestoga for their doors. Many national kitchen companies also use Conestoga for doors and moldings (ex. Plain & Fancy).

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jhophop, Any pictures you want to share?

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

Following closely!

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Hi all!

Our Conestoga inset cabinets are still being assembled by a subcontractor and his assistant who routinely do cabinet assembly and installation. The sub has done conestoga before, the assistant has not.

So far in about 20 man hours they have unpacked and organized the parts for the cabinets (4 base drawer units, sink base, base corner, 4 wall, 3 full height, 2 island, 4 others) and assembled the base cabinets and one full height.

They think they will finish assembly tomorrow and start installing. I'm guessing it will wind up being 2-3 hours per cabinet.

They say that assembly is easier than ikea (their typical install) and so far they only found one issue with a reveal on a finished side, which they fixed.

No flaws in the finish, door or panel sizes, or any missing parts.

The sun is setting here but I will try to get a few pictures.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Pictures! Please keep in mind that these aren't installed, so they haven't aligned the doors perfectly.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Full height cabinet.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Sink cabinet. Sorry these are a bit blurry, but the lights aren't hooked up yet and I relied on the flash.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barlowmom, very nice. Can't wait to see more pics when you get a chance. Thanks for posting.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Don't you love the 'elegant edge' detail?

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

The base detail is so pretty! Are you pulling the sink cabinet forward, barlowmom? We've been thinking about that, and I love the way it looks in your photo. What did you spec for the exposed sides? Dying to see more! :) Enjoy the process!

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

The base detail was custom - I told Jim at the Cabinet Joint what I wanted and he wrote the specs. I can look it up if you want it. Pretty much every dimension of mine ended up being custom, and I'm really happy with the quality and price :)

We are making the sink cabinet 27" deep. The exposed sides are finished. It will be topped with a large apron front copper sink from HD and a green-black soapstone counter.

Now the sub is predicting install on Monday, so I will try to snap some pictures once there is more to see!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure the base detail is called 'elegant edge', I have the same and I did not specify any dimensions. Looking forward to more pictures!

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be, I think I may have explained what I wanted with that picture of your cabinet! Glad it is a standard option.

Assembly still continues.

GC says it may come in under his initial estimate (and CEFreeman, if you're reading this, you could make a killing assembling conestoga cabinets here :) ).

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barlowmom, What color did you go with for the cabinets? I'm guessing one of the whites, but sometimes computer monitors can make colors look different.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Designer white, since I am keeping most of my white appliances. No glaze.

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

Keeping your white appliances...now I'm even more anxious to see it! You're doing everything I'm dreaming about. :)

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

I cracked on the range - no one makes a white induction range :( I got the GE Profile slide in, hoping that will make it look less obtrusive.

I'm still a little bit tempted to take it to the local auto body shop and have them paint it. I'm waiting to see how it looks when it is all finished.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Barlowmom, my mom had her fridge electroplated hunter green (guess when by that color?) in the 80s. If they could do it then, they can sure do it now! And white? I'm sure they'd scoff and he-men that bodyshop men are, would say, "Easy peasy, ma'am!

I'd be happy to put together someone's cabinets. Help me figure out a reasonable cost per cabinet + mileage (which would include time and the brilliance of my company) and I'm there! Really, it's SO easy.

I'm willing to bet your GC will become a Conestoga assembly expert in his next meeting with someone!

your cabs are beautiful!

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Thanks, CEFreeman!

I love hunter green :). Must be my 80s childhood.

My GC is charging $175/cabinet for assembly and installation, if that helps you. There is a reason this is called the Gold Coast :)

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

barlowmom, any updated pictures?

Thanks